Seahawks select a WR with their first pick

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
While they are going to for sure trade out of the 1st pick I feel like they are going to go WR with the first pick they use.

Their targets:
N'Keal Harry
D.K. Metcalf
Terry McLaurin

getnasty

Reaction score
I like the list and id throw Hakeem Butler from Iowa St. on there too. Not a great route runner but also not a guy that needs to be open to be thrown the ball. Peronally i hope they dont go WR because we dont seem to be a team that use a big body guy the way we need to but i love the idea of being able to just throw a jump ball to someone agaisnt an all out blitz they we tend to struggle with.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2obq5lvt said:
While they are going to for sure trade out of the 1st pick I feel like they are going to go WR with the first pick they use.

Their targets:
N'Keal Harry
D.K. Metcalf
Terry McLaurin

Very possible. Not sure Harry is one of the ones we'll target. Other two may be on radar. Seattle has demonstrated that they covet and draft players that dominate their teams' targets. Neither Metcalf or McLaurin satisfy that criteria.

It would be a departure from previous selections to take one of these.

EDIT:

I would also add, that I think it's equally likely we take a TE as receiver. This class is extremely good. The third straight solid/good class in a row. But much of that is due to pretty much all of the top quality underclassmen declaring this year. Next year's class looks extraordinarily depleted. Seattle isn't in dire need this year. But will be next year. Adding a quality TE this year not only solves succeeding Vannett in 2020, but also has the secondary benefit of the possibility of shedding Ed Dickson's contract in 2019.

Depends what they want of the position. Dissly should really not be counted on to return to his pre-injury self this season. I expect he'll end up on the PUP and not be back until October/November. And there's the real possibility his ability will never recover to the same level.

Draft talent, roster value and injury expectation elevates this position group for us.

D

DomeHawk

ImTheScientist":1y7hi4rg said:

Their targets:
N'Keal Harry
D.K. Metcalf
Terry McLaurin

I like the WR option but I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Much is going to depend on who we can sign this year and how players do at the combine.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
This class is loaded with potential alpha X receivers and I hope Seattle capitalizes. The one WR that I LOVED, Collin Johnson, is unfortunately staying at Texas for his senior season. I really like Metcalf and Harmon as guys who could still be on the board when the Hawks are on the clock in the first round. However, out of all the WRs, the one that I want, no matter what, is Jazz Ferguson out of little Northwestern State. It's still early, but he's projecting as a late second or early third day pick. Remember that name.

Seafan

Reaction score
Doubtful they stay in first round and draft a WR. I see them going after an edge/interior rusher.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":uridrzlk said:
This class is loaded with potential alpha X receivers and I hope Seattle capitalizes. The one WR that I LOVED, Collin Johnson, is unfortunately staying at Texas for his senior season. I really like Metcalf and Harmon as guys who could still be on the board when the Hawks are on the clock in the first round. However, out of all the WRs, the one that I want, no matter what, is Jazz Ferguson out of little Northwestern State. It's still early, but he's projecting as a late second or early third day pick. Remember that name.
Metcalf just killed the combine. No way Seattle has a chance at him. He'll now go top 5, first WR taken.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3unwl1gu said:
Thepeelsessions":3unwl1gu said:
Metcalf just killed the combine. No way Seattle has a chance at him. He'll now go top 5, first WR taken.
He didn't just kill it, he obliterated it. That might be one of the most dominating, if not the most dominant, combine performance by a WR ever. Based on the "scouting" I've done on him for dynasty fantasy football purposes and now this, he could easily be a historic WR in this league. Looking at the draft order, I can easily see the Jets taking him if he's there at 3. If they want Darnold to be successful, they need to make an effort to give him playmakers. And if they pass on him, Oakland would foolish to pass on him too. They have absolutely no promising youth at the skill positions. None. With 3 picks in the first this year, Metcalf would be a great investment for them.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ouxnfur said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2ouxnfur said:
Thepeelsessions":2ouxnfur said:
He didn't just kill it, he obliterated it. That might be one of the most dominating, if not the most dominant, combine performance by a WR ever. Based on the "scouting" I've done on him for dynasty fantasy football purposes and now this, he could easily be a historic WR in this league. Looking at the draft order, I can easily see the Jets taking him if he's there at 3. If they want Darnold to be successful, they need to make an effort to give him playmakers. And if they pass on him, Oakland would foolish to pass on him too. They have absolutely no promising youth at the skill positions. None. With 3 picks in the first this year, Metcalf would be a great investment for them.
Indeed! Couldn't have said it better myself!

What really sucks is, Ole Miss uses him exactly how the Pete Carroll offense is.

Run, run some more and then throw it 30 or 40 yards down the sidelines.

Metcalf fits the Seahawks offense perfectly!

Almost no difference in Ole Miss offense and the Seattle offensive play calling.

I'm always a little jealous of teams with top 5 picks in the draft but then Seattle goes to the playoffs and it's, "I don't care about top 5 picks, we're in playoffs and anything can happen!"

drrew

Reaction score
Pump the breaks a little on Metcalf - he posted really really bad numbers in the shuttle/change of direction drills.

To give you an idea of how bad, he was significantly worse than Drew Sample in both the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Unless he just wasn't trying his hardest at that point, those quickness numbers are pretty concerning.

Editing to add that Andre Dillard the 315lb LT from WSU had a better 20 yard shuttle.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
drrew":33kmskb5 said:
Pump the breaks a little on Metcalf - he posted really really bad numbers in the shuttle/change of direction drills.

To give you an idea of how bad, he was significantly worse than Drew Sample in both the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Unless he just wasn't trying his hardest at that point, those quickness numbers are pretty concerning.

Editing to add that Andre Dillard the 315lb LT from WSU had a better 20 yard shuttle.
If the Niners end up picking this guy, second overall, I hope he doesn't end up abusing our secondary.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
drrew":2qkstqzn said:

DeAndre Hopkins had the exact same 20 yard shuttle as Metcalf. Metcalf has a certain game he plays, and he is very good at it.

drrew

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":12ezf0jn said:
DeAndre Hopkins had the exact same 20 yard shuttle as Metcalf. Metcalf has a certain game he plays, and he is very good at it.

Hopkins also had more yards, catches, and touchdowns in his final collegiate season than Metcalf had in his entire college career.

Hopkins was incredibly polished as a WR with some athleticism concerns. That doesn't compare to Metcalf's profile at all.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
drrew":36epudmd said:
5_Golden_Rings":36epudmd said:

Hopkins also had more yards, catches, and touchdowns in his final collegiate season than Metcalf had in his entire college career.

Hopkins was incredibly polished as a WR with some athleticism concerns. That doesn't compare to Metcalf's profile at all.
Metcalf is averaging a touchdown every five receptions over his college career, and that number was even better his senior year. He has averaged 18.3 yards per reception over his college career and was averaging over 20 yards per reception his senior year. Both are better per reception than Hopkins, who averaged 14.7 yards per reception and a touchdown every 7.6 receptions.

Metcalf has just had injury history. That is, of course, a pretty big concern. Two of his three years ended with a season ending injury. But his per reception totals are staggering.

Now, you might say I'm just looking at statistics, like you were doing (except I'm looking on a per reception average rather than ignoring the fact that Metcalf spent a lot of time injured). But in truth I was on this bandwagon before I looked at his numbers because he passes the eye test. Some of the things he can do are elite. He needs work, and he may only be a niche player, but he can do things most men cannot. He looks clearly better than Courtland Sutton or Corey Davis, or really any receiver drafted in the last couple of years to me.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I've read that Metcalf also had a lot of drops. Any Ole Miss fans here that can speak to that.

naholmes

Reaction score
Hawks want to trade down and I don’t think Metcalf is an option but the WR and TE classes are deep this year so I think they pick a pass catcher later. Preston Williams has off field concerns but he profiles similar to Metcalf. Another WR who blew up the combine was Miles Boykin from Notre Dame. He’s 6’3” 220 with speed and explosion near Metcalf and much better agility, only in bench was Metcalf significantly better. I think they could go DL with their first pick and still get a really nice pass catcher with the second pick.

[youtube]lEbMMNDR_j4[/youtube]

Tical21

Reaction score
Metcalf's tape is subpar. He isnt a first rounder. I'm all over Harry, but think he goes before us. The other guy has the best tape. McLaurin? Can't remember anymore. Man, they all ran well.

chris98251

Reaction score
WR are suppose to run well, it's getting open catching in traffic or catching at all that is most of the draft picks issues.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
naholmes":2pzo0h4q said:
Hawks want to trade down and I don’t think Metcalf is an option but the WR and TE classes are deep this year so I think they pick a pass catcher later. Preston Williams has off field concerns but he profiles similar to Metcalf. Another WR who blew up the combine was Miles Boykin from Notre Dame. He’s 6’3” 220 with speed and explosion near Metcalf and much better agility, only in bench was Metcalf significantly better. I think they could go DL with their first pick and still get a really nice pass catcher with the second pick.

[youtube]lEbMMNDR_j4[/youtube]
I liked Boykin a lot ..
He looked like a man among boys out there from what I saw..
I worry he's maybe more like Floyd was but without baggage.
I wouldn't be upset if Hawks picked him..