Cody Barton.....Utah

Atradees

Reaction score
This is the worst pick ever. I tried to homer it up. These guys are incompetent. Good thing we have RW and will win despite the bad drafting.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score
Maulbert":2j7104eu said:
Atradees":2j7104eu said:
This is the worst pick ever. I tried to homer it up. These guys are incompetent. Good thing we have RW and will win despite the bad drafting.

THE SKY IS FALLING! WHY EVEN TRY Z0MFG THIS TEAM 1S ALL TERRIBLE LUSERS!1!!

No, this pick actually sucks.

Rat

Reaction score
Maulbert":cw8cqi4m said:
Atradees":cw8cqi4m said:

THE SKY IS FALLING! WHY EVEN TRY Z0MFG THIS TEAM 1S ALL TERRIBLE LUSERS!1!!

Clever :roll:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Atradees":jzlcji8n said:

It is absolutely not the worst pick ever. Cody isn't a bad prospect and has most of what you look for. Spot duty and some time to develop will be good for him, he has the intangibles and most of the measurables. Best case: A worthy replacement to KJ Wright at a cheaper cost.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Who knew Bobbie Wagner was when he was drafted?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":hgeopata said:

Anyone that knew anything about the draft. He was not an unknown at all.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I get the not having complete blind faith in every pick, it's a crapshoot. But some of you guys sound winier than my 3 year old daughter (and that's saying something). Man up and enjoy the ride. Act like we just lock up the franchise's best QB for 4 more years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1t3tyuj1 said:
SPOHAWK":1t3tyuj1 said:

Anyone that knew anything about the draft. He was not an unknown at all.

Oh I definitely heard the common refrain of "We could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round" when we picked Bobby.
Every armchair draftnik thinks they can get these picks for greater value at a later point in the draft.

The reason the Seahawks picks look so odd is that they are very secretive about releasing info on who they like much like the Patriots. Other GM's give info away to the media so when they draft a guy in a certain round everyone expects it. Seahawks play things close to the vest. We have lots of guys starting on a perennial playoff contender that no one felt was worth drafting where the Seahawks took them.

Teams like the Browns take the guys every media guy says they should take and lose every year. There are lessons to be learned and the biggest one is: You know nothing, Mr armchair draft guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Vent my brother. But you're wrong. This guy will surprise you.

A word of advice, never use the refrain "They could have gotten them in a later round." Because there is no way on God's green earth that you could know that.

You can't know who the other 31 teams valued, or at what position. If you did, you would have predicted the Giants picking Dan Jones 6th overall.

The other reason that argument fails, if we would have taken DK Metcalf at #21, almost everybody would have said it was a great pick! But the truth is, we could have, and did get him in a later round. '

I trust in John Schneider, and his evaluation of LBs based on BWagz, KJ, and Malcom Smith. Pete Carroll knows something about Linebackers too.

Last year JS said another team called that was going to take Rashaad Penny right after Seattle picked him, and I believe him. He has no reason to lie. In fact, he has every reason to be truthful in his position. He can't operate without integrity in that job. It's the reason he is able to make so many trades.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if several teams had Cody Barton rated in the 2nd round.

John Schneider's draft prowess is a telling thing, when ESPN quit panning his picks this year. "Seattle selects LJ Collier" ESPN: "He's a talented pass rusher with a great Bull Rush."

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1zgr12eu said:
Wagner was literally THE player I wanted out of that entire draft amd that is the absolute truth.

I was pining for Mychal Kendricks in that draft. But I knew Wagner was going to be good. Glad it turned out the way it did. Glad we have both now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, if he does play this year we have one hell of a LB crew. Loved watching him play, just has a very good instinct for the ball out there. Fits right in the Bobby and KJ imo.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Atradees":3p11sxlu said:
Hope you're feeling a little better about this pick now. He's been impressive through camp and had a nice first preseason game. He still has to prove worthy of a third round pick, and has a long way to go, but it seems he's justified his draft position thus far.

Not gonna bust your balls. Everyone on this board has overreacted to a front office decision at least once.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2n74hqzg said:
Atradees":2n74hqzg said:
Hope you're feeling a little better about this pick now. He's been impressive through camp and had a nice first preseason game. He still has to prove worthy of a third round pick, and has a long way to go, but it seems he's justified his draft position thus far.

Not gonna bust your balls. Everyone on this board has overreacted to a front office decision at least once.

I'm glad he looks better than I hoped.

My estimation of this pick however is still not entirely based on how he performs. But how the alternative players available around him performs. At the time, I would have preferred some other candidates (Will Grier, Anthony Nelson being the two most notable for me). Namely because of the lack of quality we currently have at both the backup QB and starting DE on the roster. Grier has been magoo in his first outing (expected). Nelson hasn't played yet to injury.

Barton needs to be a successor type prospect at the point we took him. Thus far, the results are encouraging. Seattle definitely needed to add youth to the LB corps, and to add competition for Griffin. We've done that, and Barton looks like he'll fairly easily rise above the mere competition level and supplant Griffin on the depth chart.

He has the look of an NFL starter. Plays aggressively and smartly -- making quality plays in the opponents backfield. Even if he doesn't start out of the gate due to quality ahead of him. Seattle looks legitimately to be 4 deep at the position now which is a good place to be.

Clearly not the worst pick ever. And I was not a fan in the least of the pick when we made it. I'm more than satisfied with what I've seen.