No. 11 Oregon vs. No. 16 Auburn (-3.5)?

D

DomeHawk

Huh? I don't get this, Oregon is the higher rated team yet Auburn is favored by 3.5? This year they play in a real neutral site AND Auburn is starting a true freshman in his very first college game. Do they know something we don't?

Should be a great game though, one of the best D-lines in college football vs one of the best O-lines. Herbert needs to establish himself as a true early-rounder but does he have the receivers?

Looking forward to watching this one, so many of the early games are such mismatches.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'll go a little against the SEC on this, but this isn't really a true neutral site, is it? It's in Dallas? The drive from Auburn to Dallas is pretty easy. It'd take, what, 3 days to drive from Seattle to Dallas.

I might be wrong that it's in Dallas but I think that's where it is.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":3q1fmug6 said:
I'll go a little against the SEC on this, but this isn't really a true neutral site, is it? It's in Dallas? The drive from Auburn to Dallas is pretty easy. It'd take, what, 3 days to drive from Seattle to Dallas.

It's 700 miles to Dallas from Auburn, that's an easy drive? It's like 12 hrs with fuel, food, and bathroom stops.

Why would Oregon fans be coming from Seattle?

And, who in the hell is driving?

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":paeuv31w said:
HawkGA":paeuv31w said:

It's 700 miles to Dallas from Auburn, that's an easy drive? It's like 12 hrs with fuel, food, and bathroom stops.

Why would Oregon fans be coming from Seattle?

And, who in the hell is driving?

Ha, okay. Not sure that changes the length of the drive much. Maybe they drive up to Seattle to catch the freeway. As to the drive from Auburn to Dallas, you pretty much hop on I-20 and it's a straight shot. Yes, I would expect more people to travel from Auburn than I would from Oregon.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":3mmgjmoc said:
Does it really surprise you? The media always has a hard-on for the SEC, even when it's undeserved.

Well, in fairness it is the polls that have them ranked higher (that's media, right?). It's Vegas that is betting on Auburn.

Either way, I'm just glad to see two good teams from different conferences going at it.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
There is a great misunderstanding the "Vegas" (and presumably, 'experts') decide the odds based on who they think will actually win an event. In reality, the odds are set in such a way that the general betting public is betting 50% for one side and 50% for the other. That's why the odds (or the points) change sometimes, because the general betting public is seeing a potential to win money by betting one way or the other. "Vegas" hates losing money, I've heard.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

GeekHawk":2hikm4lr said:
There is a great misunderstanding the "Vegas" (and presumably, 'experts') decide the odds based on who they think will actually win an event. In reality, the odds are set in such a way that the general betting public is betting 50% for one side and 50% for the other. That's why the odds (or the points) change sometimes, because the general betting public is seeing a potential to win money by betting one way or the other. "Vegas" hates losing money, I've heard.

^^^^ it's true. Vegas makes 10% on the winners so a 50/50 split makes them a profit.