Quick rankings question

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Any reason I'm seeing 'bama as 1 and 3 in other places. Also Penn state 4 and 5. A mistake or something else going on?

JGreen79

Reaction score
There are three different rankings. CFP, AP, and Coaches.

CFP has Bama ranked 3rd, AP has them 2nd, and Coaches have them 1st.

Likewise, CFP has Penn State 4th, while AP and Coaches have them 5th.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JGreen79":2u97yhxd said:

Looking like Bama won't be ranked that high next week. Down 20 at the half to LSU
Penn St. definitely won't be up there next week :D

HawkGA

Reaction score
I assume they'll cancel the college football playoff if Bama's not going to be part of it, right? I mean, they've been in it every single year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":25hw83il said:
I assume they'll cancel the college football playoff if Bama's not going to be part of it, right? I mean, they've been in it every single year.
Sure would be nice to see one without them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Close loss insures Alabama is in..Can't have the precious
SEC without 2 teams in it.
UK..The playoff ranking is only one that counts.

getnasty

Reaction score
They'll have to take Alabama over a 1 loss Utah, Oregon, or Oklahoma if there gonna get in.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2iht9mbn said:
SEC without 2 teams in it.........

getnasty":2iht9mbn said:
They'll have to take Alabama over a 1 loss Utah, Oregon, or Oklahoma if there gonna get in.

And if Alabama wins out and so does Oregon and Oklahoma. they'll justify it by saying "but Alabama beat Auburn and Oregon lost to them and Oklahoma lost to a lower tier team". Who cares if Oregon was missing 4 WRs due to injury in that game. Who cares if Oregon and Oklahoma won a conference championship game and Alabama didn't even play in one. Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual). All that matters is get those SEC schools in since the SEC and ESPN are running the whole thing.

They do that and I promise I won't turn on one second of their contrived final four. Not getting my TV ratings. Eff the SEC. Eff ESPN.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2oxfsc6m said:
IndyHawk":2oxfsc6m said:

getnasty":2oxfsc6m said:

And if Alabama wins out and so does Oregon and Oklahoma. they'll justify it by saying "but Alabama beat Auburn and Oregon lost to them and Oklahoma lost to a lower tier team". Who cares if Oregon was missing 4 WRs due to injury in that game. Who cares if Oregon and Oklahoma won a conference championship game and Alabama didn't even play in one. Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual). All that matters is get those SEC schools in since the SEC and ESPN are running the whole thing.

They do that and I promise I won't turn on one second of their contrived final four. Not getting my TV ratings. Eff the SEC. Eff ESPN.

Yeah, Alabama will need to lose another game, or LSU two...

Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would shitcan any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years.

The purpose if the playoff is to get the best 4 teams in, and they've already demonstrated they don't much care about the coach rankings.

For me, the playoff needs to expand to 6. Teams at 7-12 could still argue they are a top 6, but find it hard to believe they think they can beat a top 4.

Example this year is Minnesota. What a great win for them and the campus. But OSU will put 60 on them in the Big 10 championship

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1co3uvu9 said:
IndyHawk":1co3uvu9 said:

getnasty":1co3uvu9 said:

Alabama played a weak (though still Power 5 who just had a top pick QB) opponent in Duke this year, but they have consistently scheduled a quality non-conference opponent for the last several seasons. If there is an issue with the SEC schedule, it's that they should play one more conference game (the ACC, I believe, has the same problem). It's not that they don't play a difficult non-conference schedule. Most good teams generally schedule one good non-conference and then cupcakes. To pretend Alabama is somehow different in that regard is dishonest.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ykottjy said:
hawksfansinceday1":1ykottjy said:
Yeah, Alabama will need to lose another game, or LSU two...

Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years.

The purpose if the playoff is to get the best 4 teams in, and they've already demonstrated they don't much care about the coach rankings.

For me, the playoff needs to expand to 6. Teams at 7-12 could still argue they are a top 6, but find it hard to believe they think they can beat a top 4.

Example this year is Minnesota. What a great win for them and the campus. But OSU will put 60 on them in the Big 10 championship

I am surprised Oklahoma is ranked below Oregon and Utah. If I were just making a guess, not looking at the current rankings, I would have thought Oklahoma would be the team Bama would need to beat out to get in the playoff. The PAC-12 would seem like a foregone conclusion that they'll be on the outside looking in.

Oklahoma could well lose again, possibly in their conference championship. Obviously there will be at least one more loss between Oregon and Utah. So I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think Bama could get voted in. It could come down to Bama, Oregon, and MN. MN would have the best win and would make for an interesting story but I'm not sure I see a selection committee picking a flash in the pan team. Oregon could get held back by their Auburn loss, especially if Bama trounces Auburn.

As to expanding to 6, I don't like it. The simple fact is there looks to be 3 teams deserving of playing for the national championship. The controversy arises because to make a playoff work, you need 4 teams (well, I guess you could give Team 1 a bye and let 2 and 3 battle it out, but that seems like an unfair advantage for Team 1). But let's be honest, none of those three teams I just talked about (or 4, I guess, if Utah beats Oregon) really deserves to be in the conversation with Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson this season. This conversation wouldn't change if we moved to 6 teams, we'd just argue instead about the 6th, 7th, and 8th teams.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ig47kwr said:
Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual).

Not sure if you're a Huskies fan or not, but their non-conference opponents were Eastern Washington, Hawaii, and BYU. Not exactly a stellar non-conference schedule.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JGreen79":1w10elh7 said:

For information....CFP is College Football Playoff poll
AP is Associated Press which is a poll by Sportswriters related to the Associated Press
Coaches poll is of course all the coaches in the Football Bowl Series

Hope this helps.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":juonl8ew said:
hawksfansinceday1":juonl8ew said:
Who cares if Alabama's out of conference schedule was a joke (as usual).

Not sure if you're a Huskies fan or not, but their non-conference opponents were Eastern Washington, Hawaii, and BYU. Not exactly a stellar non-conference schedule.
Cougar fan first, Husky fan second and you're right about that schedule, it was abysmal. Therein lies the problem with not having an 8 team playoff, each conference champ from the power 5 conferences and 3 wildcards. That way the almighty SEC gets their 2 in and teams aren't afraid to schedule tough early season games out of conference.
Furthermore, the number of conference games for each conference should be standardized.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2y56estc said:
.......Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would shitcan any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years........

It pains me to say this, but I disagree. I actually believe Oregon can play with them...... Sr. QB, good run game, etc. I could see a game with a score similar to LSU v. Bama yesterday.

Maybe it's just my Pac-12 homerism here and hell, maybe Utah beats them with that defense but to me thery look good and most importantly, they appear to have the SPEED of an SEC team.

D

DomeHawk

hawksfansinceday1":1arr4mg8 said:
Uncle Si":1arr4mg8 said:
.......Issue is, and here is the reality: Alabama would $h!t any of the teams competing with them for the 4th spot. And it will be like that for years........

It pains me to say this, but I disagree. I actually believe Oregon can play with them...... Sr. QB, good run game, etc. I could see a game with a score similar to LSU v. Bama yesterday.

Maybe it's just my Pac-12 homerism here and hell, maybe Utah beats them with that defense but to me thery look good and most importantly, they appear to have the SPEED of an SEC team.

Oregon just BARELY beat unranked UW and WSU. I would be shocked if they could stay with any of the teams in the top six or seventh ranked.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":11ielwid said:

Thanks for the heads up. At least I know I'm not going mad.

Latest posts