Leach goes off on reporter after loss to Huskies

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-leach-was ... 06294.html

Seems awfully over the top to me. Blanchette has been with the Review for many years. I've read him off and on over the years when I've been in my hometown and have never got the impression he was exceedingly confrontational or rude to players or coaches. I think asking why you haven't beat the Huskies for seven straight years is a reasonable question.

As a Cougar fan first, Husky fan second I would think over the course of seven years you could at least beat them once. I get that the Huskies have superior personnel and more five-star recruits and that sort of thing, but over the course of the last century of the two teams playing football the Cougars basically won two out of every seven or eight and Leach has not even won one.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah bad look for Leach, I don't follow JB but doubt he deserved to get ripped like that. Looks like more frustration then anything to me.

Unfortunately for the Cougs the Husky just match up perfect for the air raid. Peope always say why doesn't Leach just change his offense and unfortunately it's not that easy.

If the Cougs are gonna beat the Husky they need a little mire more discipline at QB, and can't let 3 lineman get to the quarterback.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":3c5ukphp said:
Really poor from Leach.

Like I said in another thread, I am disappointed in him but I am willing to give him a pass because it just shows his competitive spirit.

I think we forget sometimes that with all his great humorous quotes that he is still is a very competitive college football coach AND, if you press his buttons in the heat of the moment he is going to respond.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1f2yz3fs said:
Uncle Si":1f2yz3fs said:
Really poor from Leach.

Like I said in another thread, I am disappointed in him but I am willing to give him a pass because it just shows his competitive spirit.

I think we forget sometimes that with all his great humorous quotes that he is still is a very competitive college football coach AND, if you press his buttons in the heat of the moment he is going to respond.

They're all competitive. Not sure why he gets a pass.

It was an honest question. He wasn't goaded into it. He was asked why they can't beat uw and instead of trying some humility and creating a narrative for his team, he ignored the question and went off on the person who asked it, calling him a troll.

He's found his ceiling at WSU

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":b98ryzsc said:
DomeHawk":b98ryzsc said:
Uncle Si":b98ryzsc said:
Really poor from Leach.

It was an honest question. He wasn't goaded into it. He was asked why they can't beat uw and instead of trying some humility and creating a narrative for his team, he ignored the question and went off on the person who asked it, calling him a troll.

Like I said, in the heat of the moment. He had just lost his 7th Apple Cup in a row. Anyone who has ever played the game knows how emotional a game it is. If this had happened just 30 minutes later it probably would have been completely different.

And, I said that I will give him a pass, not that he gets a pass. I am sure the media is going to roast him on this one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3dsn4wm0 said:
Uncle Si":3dsn4wm0 said:
DomeHawk":3dsn4wm0 said:
Uncle Si":3dsn4wm0 said:
Really poor from Leach.

Like I said, in the heat of the moment. He had just lost his 7th Apple Cup in a row. Anyone who has ever played the game knows how emotional a game it is. If this had happened just 30 minutes later it probably would have been completely different.

And, I said that I will give him a pass, not that he gets a pass. I am sure the media is going to roast him on this one.

Personally just think his shtick is getting old.

I also played D1. I played in a game to go to a national tournament. It's fine to be emotional. Dozens of coaches across the nation are coaching in the biggest games of their career today.

The coach needs to reflect composure , however, and represent his team better than what Leach jyst said.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":2pnvs9gp said:
DomeHawk":2pnvs9gp said:
Uncle Si":2pnvs9gp said:
DomeHawk":2pnvs9gp said:

I also played D1. I played in a game to go to a national tournament. It's fine to be emotional. Dozens of coaches across the nation are coaching in the biggest games of their career today.

The coach needs to reflect composure , however, and represent his team better than what Leach jyst said.

You played soccer, it's not the same, you aren't getting your body bashed and slammed all game long and trying to keep your cool at the same time. The coaches respond to it too. In fact, I have seen many-many coaches, both in college and the pros, go off just like he did.

Have someone come up to you and slap you in the face as hard as they can and then talk to me about composure.

But, I agree they should keep their composure, they just fail sometimes because they are only human.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2g1hwb3c said:
Uncle Si":2g1hwb3c said:
DomeHawk":2g1hwb3c said:
Uncle Si":2g1hwb3c said:

You played soccer, it's not the same, you aren't getting your body bashed and slammed all game long and trying to keep your cool at the same time. The coaches respond to it too. In fact, I have seen many-many coaches, both in college and the pros, go off just like he did.

Have someone come up to you and slap you in the face as hard as they can and then talk to me about composure.

But, I agree they should keep their composure, they just fail sometimes because they are only human.

A... it's very much the same across any contact sport
Don't be silly. (2 concussions. 2 torn mcls, broken nose 5 times, three broken ribs, dozen stitches over one eye, ligament damage to both ankles, dislocated shoulder over 3 years of college soccer). The contact is different. The emotion of playing in a physical contest is very much the same.

B. We are talking about the coach. Leach didn't get touched yesterday.

Sure, lots of coaches lose their cool, and look foolish doing it. Especially in such a benign setting as a press conference.

Leach isn't a hero. Just a guy who can't figure out how to win his biggest game.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":3sn6g9i5 said:
DomeHawk":3sn6g9i5 said:
Uncle Si":3sn6g9i5 said:
DomeHawk":3sn6g9i5 said:

Don't be silly. (2 concussions. 2 torn mcls, broken nose 5 times, three broken ribs, dozen stitches over one eye, ligament damage to both ankles, dislocated shoulder over 3 years of college soccer). The contact is different. The emotion of playing in a physical contest is very much the same.

Sure, lots of coaches lose their cool, and look foolish doing it. Especially in such a benign setting as a press conference.

Leach isn't a hero. Just a guy who can't figure out how to win his biggest game.

You didn't have to list all your injuries for Christ's sake lol, I am just teasing you. It's what football players do to emasculated soccer boys. You don't have your soccer mom to protect you here sonny.

And, I don't know if Leach is a hero or not, but the fact that he can't win "big" games has more to do with the extreme challenges of recruiting high quality players to Pullman than anything else.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This made the national media. I saw it at least three times, and was thinking, "Wow. He looks a fool, and that's not good for his school."

Michigan is currently getting blown out by Ohio State. What Harbs is gonna do is probably give some one-liners while wearing unhappy face. Because if he had a meltdown, THAT would be the news overshadowing their loss, that would make the school look bad, and put Harbs in more of a hotseat.

Part of a coach's job is PR/press. They are paid millions to get up there and represent compsure even in adversity, versus going off implying there's a conspiracy theory against the Cougs. That just made him and his school look bad.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2g9ephyh said:
Uncle Si":2g9ephyh said:
DomeHawk":2g9ephyh said:
Uncle Si":2g9ephyh said:

You didn't have to list all your injuries for Christ's sake lol, I am just teasing you. It's what football players do to emasculated soccer boys. You don't have your soccer mom to protect you here sonny.

And, I don't know if Leach is a hero or not, but the fact that he can't win "big" games has more to do with the extreme challenges of recruiting high quality players to Pullman than anything else.

Protection from? I feel for football players. Always have.

I'm saying that sports are extremely emotional. The physical toll, emotional investment, time, all exhaust those who participate.

As for Leach, he beats other big programs. He struggles with UW. His response more petulant than his narrative would support. Even he knows those excuses are wearing thin.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":tqbftyil said:
DomeHawk":tqbftyil said:
Uncle Si":tqbftyil said:
DomeHawk":tqbftyil said:

I'm saying that sports are extremely emotional. The physical toll, emotional investment, time, all exhaust those who participate.

As for Leach, he beats other big programs. He struggles with UW. His response more petulant than his narrative would support. Even he knows those excuses are wearing thin.

He's a rebel, doesn't really care what anyone thinks. Generally, that's why we love him, but it can go both ways.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
My issue is he has a chance to acknowledge his programs underdog status and confirm the narrative offered by the reporter. Instead he comes off like a brat.

Just feel like he gets,more press than he deserves.

Just my opinion. Wonder what cougar fans think

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":u889jprq said:
DomeHawk":u889jprq said:
Uncle Si":u889jprq said:
DomeHawk":u889jprq said:

Leach could never win a Apple Cup and still be at WSU as long as he wants so saying those excuses are wearing thin is not accurate.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is Leach and who he is, Mike Price days are long past now with his calm cool reserved demeanor, Leach has always had the Bobby Knight in his personality even when he was in Texas coaching we had media moments where he would go off.

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1c6psclu said:
My issue is he has a chance to acknowledge his programs underdog status and confirm the narrative offered by the reporter. Instead he comes off like a brat.

As a Coug fan you have to like him. Recruiting even 3 star kids to Pullman has to be a tough task so any national press he gets for his goofy interviews can only help.

Obviously he comes off bitter in this one but that comes with hiring a guy like Leach. You take the good with the bad.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":2xdeo6a4 said:
Uncle Si":2xdeo6a4 said:

As a Coug fan you have to like him. Recruiting even 3 star kids to Pullman has to be a tough task so any national press he gets for his goofy interviews can only help.

Obviously he comes off bitter in this one but that comes with hiring a guy like Leach. You take the good with the bad.

Fair enough..

And Harbaugh just reacted somewhat similarl y in his,press conference.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Leach went too far, no doubt, but as someone that pretty much cannot stand sports reporters/columnists/sports radio hosts and their stupid questions I was kind of happy to see him go off on the guy, as wrong as it may have been.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
But @sports hernia, that's what the gadflys want. They WANT someone to lose their cool and thus look stupid on national TV. And part of why coaches are paid is to NOT look like it's getting to them on TV.

SF Giants hired a GM out of Philly. There were allegations that he tried to sweep a 17-yo's assault allegations under the rug. This wasn't sexual--the girl got extremely drunk, barfed and another girl took a selfie. The Giants severely investigated those and concluded that this coach did the best he could with the tools he then had but there has to be more of a culture in MLB to not dismiss victims.

Well the first reporter who got to ask questions had been seeding the SF Chronicle for months saying this guy was basically condoning Osuna when there was no evidence here that he'd done anything like that. She lit into him and as the senior reporter got to do it repeatedly. I happen to know her personally, and she's classically one of those who hides behind popular causes to be a nasty piece of work. She throughly deserved to be told to FO, but if she'd been told that, this guy's job would have been jeopardized before he even started working.

It's to your team and organizational interest to stay cool and stay to the script if you're paid to speak to the media, regardless of what they say to try to incite you.