Chris Peterson resigns

sutz

Reaction score
[youtube]krD4hdGvGHM[/youtube]

Wonder which way they will go...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

I dunno maybe it's just a case of him being bored with beating Mike Leach like a drum every November. :sarcasm_off:

D

DomeHawk

hawksfansinceday1":1cuax0aa said:
Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

Lol, not even, this is life, people have opportunities and they move on. Change is inevitable and even good.

Can you say Jimmy Lake?

I can.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/coll ... 876090.php

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/laurenkirschman/status/1201587442987536387[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1201591434257801221[/tweet]

D

DomeHawk

Much respect and gratitude for everything Chris Petersen has done for the University of Washington. He is a shining example of integrity in the rapidly declining culture that is college football today.

And, I am not just trying to spin this development. From where I sit right now I think Jimmy Lake is an upgrade and I can tell you unequivocally that a lot of people, including the players themselves, are psyched about this turn off events.

As I have posted many times lately, CP has lost his edge and many of his game-time decisions have been catastrophic. That is not to say that he hasn't done a great job bringing UW's football program back, he has.

Every single university in the country wanted Jimmy Lake, not necessarily as a HC but certainly as a DC. He is widely respected for his great football mind and player development. The big fear was that we were going to lose him this year and that may have played into this.

We have a young (42) coach that gives us great stability. He is a great recruiter, great player developer, and most importantly, a great strategist.

Really excited to see what he brings to the table.

https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 139672734/

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2hnq101u said:

I dunno maybe it's just a case of him being bored with beating Mike Leach like a drum every November. :sarcasm_off:

No way Chris Petersen takes the USC job. He turned it down before they hired Sarkisian.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2chpe54t said:

I'd be just as shocked with Petersen going to USC as I was when I saw this news of him stepping down.

I just think the high profile rat race world of being at a top Pac 12 and national program wore Petersen down, and he just couldn't do it anymore.

He's even said he doesn't like the high pressure win at all costs recruiting world of national programs, and what that takes to maintain and exceed expectations of coaching at UW. So IMO it's as simple as that, Petersen got burned out, and the pressure and backlash of this year was the final straw.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Chris brought back the UW culture to where it needed to be. And he left when he needed to as well. It was time For that, THANK YOU COACH.

EKz15OQXkAAesYwformatjpgnamesmall

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":398doyci said:
I'd be just as shocked with Petersen going to USC as I was when I saw this news of him stepping down.

I just think the high profile rat race world of being at a top Pac 12 and national program wore Petersen down, and he just couldn't do it anymore.

He's even said he doesn't like the high pressure win at all costs recruiting world of national programs, and what that takes to maintain and exceed expectations of coaching at UW. So IMO it's as simple as that, Petersen got burned out, and the pressure and backlash of this year was the final straw.

I can agree with that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":27g22sej said:
Sgt. Largent":27g22sej said:

I can agree with that.

I'm not saying anything most objective UW media and fans have said since Petersen got here.

Unfortunately to TRULY take the next step and compete with the other top 5 programs in the country, you've got to compromise your moral coaching compass, and kinda sell your soul to the devil a little to get to that next level of recruiting and winning..........and Petersen's wasn't willing to do that.

If you're a UW fan and DO want to see the next level? I've got good news, I think Jimmy Lake IS that type of coach.

D

DomeHawk

hawksfansinceday1":1sx7y680 said:

Your post displays an almost complete misunderstanding of who Chris Petersen is.

Chris Petersen would rather be staked out naked over an ant hill than live in L.A.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DomeHawk":363fknkp said:
hawksfansinceday1":363fknkp said:

Your post displays an almost complete misunderstanding of who Chris Petersen is.

Chris Petersen would rather be staked out naked over an ant hill than live in L.A.
Mostly yanking you all's chain. As you said, he has integrity which is rare in college athletics these days. It's one of the reasons I love and respect Mark Few so much, he wins and by all appearances, does so the right way. I did think "USC" when I heard it though, I admit it. It was a typical reaction to where things have gone in college sports. You guys and knowledge of his history have convinced me that won't happen.
Besides, how can he take over the Seahawks for Pete if he's at USC? :sarcasm_off:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not really shocked by this..
He has been coaching four 14 yrs at a high level and this year you kind of
knew something was off.I didn't see the same fire from him as in past.
I believe he is doing it because as he said "Burned out".
I'm happy that he quits knowing he cannot do the job 100% at this time.
I think Lake is a great hire..I love his fire and you can see the players
respond to him with respect.I just hope he knows that OC has got to go.
Next to Don James,Coach Pete is a coaching legend at UW.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Surprised but not surprised.

When I think of Coach Peterson one word comes to mind.

Integrity.

Thanks for everything coach!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cymatica":gd5kldhm said:
Not leaving UW, just not coaching

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/university-of-washington/article237964389.html

Petersen, who has coached UW for the past six seasons, will transition to an advisory role in the athletic department.

I'd be shocked if this was more than just stabilizing the story and keeping Petersen on board until Lake and the other coaches can get through the transition with minimal recruit casualties and coaching turnover.

Meaning Petersen will be there as an "adviser" probably through next year tops, and then he'll leave. No way he wants to do this long term. My guess is he'll take a year or two off, and then go back to a smaller school where he can be happy and do things the way he wants to do them.

Smartest thing I've read on Twitter about this is "this is why Mark Few has stayed at Gonzaga all these years."

Less pressure while still competing with no pressure to compromise your integrity.