Draftnik input?

chrispy

Reaction score
I may deserve some criticism, but Sunday night makes me feel more excitement for possibilities next year as opposed to a deep playoff run this year.... Maybe I'm just trying to not re-live the Rams beat down.

The additions of Diggs and Clowney and Hollister and Gordan (and the contract situations of 3 of them anyway) seem like it gives the FO a lot more flexibility than recent years. Maybe we can't keep them all, but having the choice before the draft seems like a lot better position than fishing for available FAs after the draft. It seems like, realistically, the FO could keep the talent we have unless better options present. Add in rookies contributing more than years past (I think, right? DK, Blair, Haynes, Amadi... or is it my imagination?) and Sophomore starters/solid back-ups, is it me or are we set up much better than years past? I guess I feel compelled to add in the realization that the LB group might need a re-charge, but there is talent on the roster waiting for playtime already, right? I think I remember that JS has 2x the picks this year compared to last too.

I'm curious of others' opinions (with more draft savvy than I). Specific to position groups, draft capital, cap restrictions am I crazy to think that this could be a big draft and to expect to see a lot of good young players with cheap contracts on the field next year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I'm excited for our next couple of drafts seeing if Pete and John can find some more athletes for the defense, I think you're selling this year's team short after one bad game.

10-3. We're 10-3, and in position to get the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, which is EVERYTHING you need to get to the SB.

Also let me remind everyone of a Niners and Cardinals team in our SB winning year of 2013 that beat us two of our last four games of the regular season.

Division games are nasty, they just are. You can't assume because of what we saw Sunday night, "well, that's it, we're done..............ONTO NEXT YEAR!"

That's just silly man. I fully expect us to rebound Sunday and set this team up for a very exciting finish.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
3rd loss of the year and it's already time to start talking draft. God no. 10-3 and a huge opportunity in front of them.
Just getting started on this stretch run. Couldn't care less about the draft. And like Largent said, they didn't exactly tear it up going in to the Playoffs in December the year they won it all. Division games are very tough, record really means squat much of the time.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3chtdgl6 said:
3rd loss of the year and it's already time to start talking draft. God no. 10-3 and a huge opportunity in front of them.
Just getting started on this stretch run. Couldn't care less about the draft. And like Largent said, they didn't exactly tear it up going in to the Playoffs in December the year they won it all. Division games are very tough, record really means squat much of the time.

No matter what our record is, I never think it's too early for draft talk. It is possible to do both especially with a week between games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3231eqwi said:
No matter what our record is, I never think it's too early for draft talk. It is possible to do both especially with a week between games.

Then the OP shouldn't preface his statement with the Ram's game makes him more excited about next year then the rest of this year.

Oh how spoiled we've become when a 10-3 record vying for another division title and the chance to grab the #1 seed is cause to be disappointed and start talking about next year.

I would have murdered a drifter with a rusty lawn dart in 1992 for my Hawk's to be in this position.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I would have listened to (c)rap or country music by choice in 92 to have this kind of success. Winning all the time really sucks :lol:
Of course, a 2-14 record in 92 sure made it easy to finally get my season tickets, and damn good seats back in 93.

sutz

Reaction score
Wrong forum. Reported. :pukeface:

Thanks for moving it.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
10 and 3 starts draft talks now? Idk how old you are or some of you are. I know we have way older posters then me but living through the 1990s makes the PC and Russ era feel like heaven.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Our 10-3 needs an asterisk for:

-Benefiting from playing so many back-up QBs
-Having a (so far) perfect record in nail-biters (even great teams are typically closer to .500 in these games than winning them all like we have)
-Our coaches having a penchant for taking the week off when it comes to game planning and adapting mid-game (@LA last week and @DAL last year's playoffs being two recent examples). I.E. it doesn't matter if we're 16-0, 10-3, or what have you if we're just going to tank a game with poor decisions.

If you're looking for good football, then this season has been awesome. There's no need to talk draft, FA's, etc. when there's still a ride to enjoy.

If you're looking for great football, then we're probably another good off-season and some extra game-planning away, and there's absolutely a discussion to be had about avoiding what will likely be another disappointing end to a good season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, any time the Hawks win, it's because of the opponent and/or injuries.
When the Hawks lose, it's because they just are not that good.
Same crap, different post. Sweet Jesus, they are 10-3, and people want to complain and make excuses for why they are WINNING GAMES. I give up. :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
WAYYYYYYY to early, we have the redshirts and injury returns yet plus positioning, declares, and F.A. signings and extensions that will determine not only what we need but how we go about filling those based on money, draft position, who's available and who we resign.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chrispy":2xxqtqea said:
I'm curious of others' opinions (with more draft savvy than I). Specific to position groups, draft capital, cap restrictions am I crazy to think that this could be a big draft and to expect to see a lot of good young players with cheap contracts on the field next year?

This is a big draft. Actually the last 2 drafts have been huge.

Seattle was on a rebuild starting in 2018. The acquisitions of the last two years has allowed us to enjoy not only games that matter in December, but also playoff appearances.

2020 will mark year three. But more than that, it'll mark the culmination of the rebuild strategy. The decisions made in 2018 and since, all pointed to an inescapable conclusion that 2020 was intended to be the final year.

2020 sees a huge glut of cap space for Seattle. Not merely expiring bloated contracts. But also final 'voidable' years of mid range player deals. And also the dead money hits from painful cuts in 2018/19 roll off the books. On multiple levels of decision making, 2020 is the year everything clears the ledger.

Now don't get TOO excited. Because 2019 also saw Seattle lock down key pieces (Wilson/Wagner) whose cap hits will balloon. Also Seattle added some young veterans on prove it deals which at this point look more like a 'rent to own' kind of deal. Clowney and Diggs look like impact players and they will likely eat up most of the cap space.

I expect we'll do similar to last year. Look at more post June 1 designated street UFAs. Lay low in March. Maximize future comp picks and use those to add mid year trades where we have cap space to accommodate new arrivals. If we diverge from this, I expect we'll add a speed rusher at market rate. The draft doesn't present good options and it's a position of extreme need.

The draft is starting to take shape. Still we won't know until January when all underclassmen declare. It's epic strong at WR this year. I expect Seattle to double dip here. One to add to Lockett/Metcalf duo. One to replace Lockett in 2021/22.

QB and RB looks strong. Especially at RB in day 2. Seattle has our first and second - -and currently slated for SF's second as it's the worst of the two (KC or SF). We expect a 3rd round comp but don't have our own (Clowney).

CB looks like a strong group too. Not in day one.

OL (OT) looks to be a good group early, with talent that appears to be available until around 50 overall.

OC looks to be pretty stout. Expect a good haul in the 2nd through 4th round range. Not top heavy. But solid.

DE/Pass rushers appear to be extremely thin. Not a ton of 1st round grade options. I expect those will be gobbled up by 12th overall. Teams will reach here.

LBs is lean. S is very lean. TEs are ok, but look more like they'll hit day 2. Love Brycen Hopkins

Value at end of R1 is going to likely be OT and WR, excluding any particular players that just drop for unknown reason. R2 is going to be strongest at WR. And depending on how R1 unfolds, teams may opt to forego high end WR talent on day one, expecting to get value in R2/3. BPA at end of R1 is probably WR. And likely throughout R2.

In addition, the WR UFA class is shaping up to be really REALLY good. Having a strong UFA class and an epic draft class at the position -- the market is going to be heavily deflated and soft. A team could easily acquire one or even two signings from this group akin to the Bennett/Avril signings. Guys that are quality starters at team friendly terms.

Seattle should come out of this offseason with 5 deep starter quality receivers. And be in a position to shed Lockett's contract after 2020 when his cap hit explodes and his dead money is minimal.

My main concern, is that Seattle is going to continue it's predisposition of fighting the draft board and reaching to fill holes. It's the common refrain from our drafts really since 2012. One player I think might be a good fit and fall is K'Lavon Chaisson (LSU). Also Jabari Zuniga in the 2nd (UF).

Overall, I see Seattle having three needs: Speed DE, OT and WR. We're going to lose at least one of Ifedi/Fant. Maybe both. And we'll have Duane Brown at 35 to begin next season. Seattle needs to address RT immediately, preferably with a player who can groom for LT. We can probably get that in the 25-40 overall range.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have Ursua in the wings and you have to wonder what we are doing with Gordon, if we plan on resigning him and at this point no reason not to, he is big, blocks well and catches everything thrown at him, needs to get more involved is the only issue and that's on Schotty. Throw in Turner and yes Moore and a roster spot is going to be hard to come by for another Rookie.

I don't see us burning draft capital there specifically.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
What about LBs?
Obiously BWagz is in for a while. I think KJ can be retained or cut loose without cap implications, right? Is there any sense as to whether Kendricks will be available and can we easily re-up his contract? Cody Barton started the other night so he should be a reasonable baseline backup, right? BBK had a lot of hype from those of you that know him so I'd assume he'll be around another year at least. I looked at the roster and saw some names on the practice squad that I don't know. Anyone have insight on this position group, the draft and how the cap might influence changes here? It's been such a strength that we've been able to kind of ignore it for several years. Is it now a position of need?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2nx64yzn said:
chrispy":2nx64yzn said:

This is a big draft. Actually the last 2 drafts have been huge.

Seattle was on a rebuild starting in 2018. The acquisitions of the last two years has allowed us to enjoy not only games that matter in December, but also playoff appearances.

2020 will mark year three. But more than that, it'll mark the culmination of the rebuild strategy. The decisions made in 2018 and since, all pointed to an inescapable conclusion that 2020 was intended to be the final year.

2020 sees a huge glut of cap space for Seattle. Not merely expiring bloated contracts. But also final 'voidable' years of mid range player deals. And also the dead money hits from painful cuts in 2018/19 roll off the books. On multiple levels of decision making, 2020 is the year everything clears the ledger.

Now don't get TOO excited. Because 2019 also saw Seattle lock down key pieces (Wilson/Wagner) whose cap hits will balloon. Also Seattle added some young veterans on prove it deals which at this point look more like a 'rent to own' kind of deal. Clowney and Diggs look like impact players and they will likely eat up most of the cap space.

I expect we'll do similar to last year. Look at more post June 1 designated street UFAs. Lay low in March. Maximize future comp picks and use those to add mid year trades where we have cap space to accommodate new arrivals. If we diverge from this, I expect we'll add a speed rusher at market rate. The draft doesn't present good options and it's a position of extreme need.

The draft is starting to take shape. Still we won't know until January when all underclassmen declare. It's epic strong at WR this year. I expect Seattle to double dip here. One to add to Lockett/Metcalf duo. One to replace Lockett in 2021/22.

QB and RB looks strong. Especially at RB in day 2. Seattle has our first and second - -and currently slated for SF's second as it's the worst of the two (KC or SF). We expect a 3rd round comp but don't have our own (Clowney).

OL (OT) looks to be a good group early, with talent that appears to be available until around 50 overall.

OC looks to be pretty stout. Expect a good haul in the 2nd through 4th round range. Not top heavy. But solid.

DE/Pass rushers appear to be extremely thin. Not a ton of 1st round grade options. I expect those will be gobbled up by 12th overall. Teams will reach here.

LBs is lean. S is very lean. TEs are ok, but look more like they'll hit day 2. Love Brycen Hopkins

Value at end of R1 is going to likely be OT and WR, excluding any particular players that just drop for unknown reason. R2 is going to be strongest at WR. And depending on how R1 unfolds, teams may opt to forego high end WR talent on day one, expecting to get value in R2/3. BPA at end of R1 is probably WR. And likely throughout R2.

In addition, the WR UFA class is shaping up to be really REALLY good. Having a strong UFA class and an epic draft class at the position -- the market is going to be heavily deflated and soft. A team could easily acquire one or even two signings from this group akin to the Bennett/Avril signings. Guys that are quality starters at team friendly terms.

Seattle should come out of this offseason with 5 deep starter quality receivers. And be in a position to shed Lockett's contract after 2020 when his cap hit explodes and his dead money is minimal.

My main concern, is that Seattle is going to continue it's predisposition of fighting the draft board and reaching to fill holes. It's the common refrain from our drafts really since 2012. One player I think might be a good fit and fall is K'Lavon Chaisson (LSU). Also Jabari Zuniga in the 2nd (UF).

Overall, I see Seattle having three needs: Speed DE, OT and WR. We're going to lose at least one of Ifedi/Fant. Maybe both. And we'll have Duane Brown at 35 to begin next season. Seattle needs to address RT immediately, preferably with a player who can groom for LT. We can probably get that in the 25-40 overall range.

Attyla, you say that EDGE group is really thin this year, but I think they are thin in the instant contributor category. I actually think this class has some really interesting prospects that could contribute in year two or three.

Any thoughts on Greenard, Yetur Gross-Matos, Anfernee Jennings, Curtis Weaver, Uche, Terrell Lewis?

There are also some interesting late round underclassmen ala Kwity Paye and Quincy Roche that could be contributors.

This class definitely doesn't have the star power of last year, but I do think there's maybe more talent than people are giving it credit for.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yxes1122":2r9do7n6 said:
Attyla, you say that EDGE group is really thin this year, but I think they are thin in the instant contributor category. I actually think this class has some really interesting prospects that could contribute in year two or three.

Any thoughts on Greenard, Yetur Gross-Matos, Anfernee Jennings, Curtis Weaver, Uche, Terrell Lewis?

There are also some interesting late round underclassmen ala Kwity Paye and Quincy Roche that could be contributors.

This class definitely doesn't have the star power of last year, but I do think there's maybe more talent than people are giving it credit for.

Well, I would say that I don't see any in that group to be the caliber of player that Frank Clark was coming out.

It's possible one or more of those ends up developing over time. But isn't that kind of indistinguishable from LJ Collier? Guys that really should be picked at the end of the 2nd round? Honestly, a guy that takes 3 years to finally see the field is, in my opinion, typically a bad day 1 or 2 pick. Mostly because by year 4 (when you have to make a decision to sign for cash), you really don't know what you're going to get. Did the light really come on? Was that one good season an outlier? Was he playing for a payday? Basically, the pick is a bust if you aren't committed to resigning him. You can't burn a day 1 or 2 pick for a single season. Because by the nature of the high pick, you are guaranteed to be passing on players who CAN contribute in year one, and likely start by year two.

From a roster build standpoint, you want as many snaps as possible from your rookie contract guys. It allows for flexibility and retention of true impact players. Conceding half or more of that 4 year window is ruinous for teams to maintain excellence. And leads teams to make horrible UFA choices like having to sign the Luke Joeckels of the world for ridiculous sums to fill holes. Or to overdraft at positions of dire need.

Specific thoughts:

Jonathan Greenard is not a good 2nd round choice. He started out as an OLB, and kind of grew to 260. Sounds like he'd be a good athlete. But he doesn't really show that. Testing will be vital for him, but good testing will kind of belie his tape. He's no Brian Burns. But he is productive. And he doesn't even have Collier's heft and handfighting ability. Kind of a tweener that isn't exactly fast. I wouldn't compare him favorably to Chris Wormley out of Michigan (2017 R3).

Josh Uche is a SAM. Not sure we're going to go that route. Has requisite 4.5 speed, but Seattle generally takes 4.4 (Kendricks/Wagner). Even Bruce Irvin had a 4.51 with a great 10 yard split.

Uche doesn't have that twitch. Decent player, but kind of a Jordan Willis/Trey Hendrickson vibe to him. I don't see anything really special about him that one could point and say, "If he develops this trait to go along with X, he could make an impact".

Anfernee Jennings is kind of Collier 2.0. Not as heavy a guy. Powerfully built. Heavy hands. Little to no flexibility and bend. Very poor quickness and twitch. Stiff. R4 guy for me. Compares a bit unfavorably to Carl Lawson (2017 R4) out of Auburn.

Curtis Weaver is a thicker cat. Actually has good get off on the ball, both quick and low. With good strength/leverage and displays a solid anchor. Doesn't exhibit good flexibility or bend and generally concedes early wins via quickness. He does display the "X" ability that if he can convert speed to power and make the corner -- he could be something. But that is a HUGE if. RIght now he's just a guy that will get off quickly and be easily nullified and pushed 10 yards past the pocket. Also concerning considering strength of competition for him at BSU.

Terrell Lewis is another intriguing guy for me. Injury history aside, he has a frenetic/violent manner in which he rushes the passer. Good testing would be helpful, as he's not known for elite athleticism. High effort, and seems to use a LOT of different styles to rush the passer. But doesn't seem to really know or recognize what to use/when. Technique is all over the map.

I think of him as kind of a Randy Johnson circa Expos of pass rushers. Has some talent. Flashes plenty. But also just gets destroyed easily. Has a pretty good toolbox, with no idea when to use them. If he hits the learning curve hard -- he could be a good pass rusher with ability for counter moves by end of year two. I like him at end of R2.

Yetur-Matos, I see akin to Takk McKinley. He's a long limbed guy with great athleticism. Needs strength. Also appears visibly slow in processing what's going on in front of him, or how to attack someone. Plays reactionary and slow. Tools are there. But seems like he's still just kind of winning with athleticism. Good effort. If light comes on, he would be closer to Calais Campbell than McKinley. Big upside, but also pretty substantial bust potential.

If it's me, I'm passing on these guys. There is so much talent at other positions. I'd be taking two WRs over any of these guys, because you're going to be getting Tyler Lockett type prospects even midway through the third round. Guys that are going to be factoring in by this time next year. Players who will allow for us to transition from Lockett when he hits 30 in 2021.

Also should be OTs to be had that should compete day one favorably. Taking these guys early is classic fighting the board mentality. But if some slip to R4, it's probably worth taking a shot.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":rihr3q90 said:
It's epic strong at WR this year.

QB and RB looks strong. Especially at RB in day 2.

LBs is lean. S is very lean. TEs are ok, but look more like they'll hit day 2.
Sounds like they'll have to rely on Green and Collier or sign some free agents.

Wonder if they can afford to sign Clowney, Reed, Jefferson and a Dante Fowler or Robert Quinn type FA?

OT/IOL/WR looks to be the positions that'll be taken with the 1st+2nd+2nd. Hoping they consider a CB there too.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":fzk0wa7p said:
Sounds like they'll have to rely on Green and Collier or sign some free agents.

Wonder if they can afford to sign Clowney, Reed, Jefferson and a Dante Fowler or Robert Quinn type FA?

OT/IOL/WR looks to be the positions that'll be taken with the 1st+2nd+2nd. Hoping they consider a CB there too.

Green for sure. We've seen flashes in the regular season. He was admittedly raw coming out. Rounding into shape and I like his build/tenacity. Really has shown a knack for making impact plays. I am firmly expecting a breakout season from him next year barring injury.

Collier is an unknown, but it's early. I'm not hopeful. At least with Green, we could see flashes even in the preseason his rookie year. Collier hasn't shown anything above camp body yet. And there have been plenty of opportunity for him to get on the field.

They can afford Clowney and Reed comfortably. Don't expect Jefferson to cost much to retain. Quinn will get paid although I like him. In order to add a Fowler/Quinn type contract, it'll cost us a comp pick AND a cap casualty. Probably have to lose Britt to sign him.

Seattle has a LOT of flexibility. Not just in 2020. But in 2021, we shave a lot of salary with no real big ticket free agents to sign. So adding a top dollar guy could be done relatively easily by way of contract structure.

In my opinion, our DE roster is a bit broken. Green/Collier/Clowney are all the same kind of DE. Bigger guys who should be better at setting the edge and providing bull rush. I'm hopeful that one of Green/Collier is able and is tasked with trying to bulk up and slide inside as rotational 3 tech. That's how Geno Atkins developed from SAM OLB/DE to dominant 3 tech. Collier may be best suited for that in terms of skillset shown in college. But Green just has the physical profile that looks like he could still add 20 pounds with relative ease.

For me, keeping Clowney, moving one DE to rush 3T and adding a speed rusher would completely refit our pass rush package. Mostly with parts already on the roster.

To me, this upcoming draft is perfectly set up to be a nuts and bolts kind of draft. Good prospects that can help us plow under current veteran deals (Fluker/Iupati) and future deals (Ifedi). We've already added Haynes, who I harbor high hopes for. Additionally should be able to restock/reload the WR group, and also be set up well to absorb the potential loss of Lockett (whether injury, signs elsewhere or starts to decline due to age). Signing WRs to a rich 3rd contract is rare and usually fraught with a lot of risk. But especially if he does flourish and get resigned, having your 3rd through 5th WR on the roster in their rookie deals helps that cause too.

If we don't fight the board, this upcoming draft is a prototype 'Win Forever' draft. Sets us up to be healthy really throughout the remaining 30 Something years of Wilson's career.

Given the rather Magoo options at DE, I'd be thrilled with us going big on a premium speed rusher in UFA, and letting the draft come to us. Use the rich talent there to support that signing by allowing us to shed/restructure roster spend elsewhere.

It really feels like there is a grand opportunity to transform this defense without even having to use a draft pick to do it.