Curtis Weaver DE Boise State

getnasty

Reaction score
He's definitely put up numbers in his career but watching tape something seems lackluster to me. I could just be kmocking him for not playing in a power 5.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I find it interesting that some members on here dis MWC teams as if the PAC-12 was the SEC. Keep in mind, BWags is from a MWC team.

(BTW, I have no horse in this race as my alma mater plays minor league football.)

Weaver's big asset is his speed and quickness.

getnasty

Reaction score
TreeRon":lrr8gpa1 said:
I find it interesting that some members on here dis MWC teams as if the PAC-12 was the SEC. Keep in mind, BWags is from a MWC team.

(BTW, I have no horse in this race as my alma mater plays minor league football.)

Weaver's big asset is his speed and quickness.

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm not saying Weaver isn't really good maybe he is. I'm just saying in watching film he has a number of plays where he just runs past people untouched. Instead of giving him credit sometimes i'll question how good the guy across from him is. That's more on me then anything.

OP
OP
Seahawkwalt1967

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
At first I thought i was going to see L J Collier 2.0 (No knock on Collier as the is 20# heavier and more of a balanced end) but I was really surprised w Weaver.

hburn21

Reaction score
Just doing some casual scouting, most of his production came against bottom barrel teams, even if he rests well I wouldn’t want him before the 3rd

TreeRon

Reaction score
I looked at UW and FSU not all that exciting.
That said, not being a scout, they may see things I don't see.

Chawker

Reaction score
I still prefer Bradlee Anae for these reasons, Anae has a larger frame and doesn't look like he is 265 lbs which make him more agile then most 260 pounders, you'll notice it when he drops back in coverage, you'll notice it also at the end of a game when others are sucking a lot more wind. He has a good motor.

If anything he needs to work harder at ahcoring against the run and holding the point of attack.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I see Weaver going higher in the draft than our pick in a few mocks. SBNation has him at 18 to Miami.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":1bdfrw1s said:
I see Weaver going higher in the draft than our pick in a few mocks. SBNation has him at 18 to Miami.

I'd be shocked if he's in R1. There are far too many players that will/should rise ahead of him as familiarity with other candidates improves.

He is helped by the lack of competitive talent at a position of ever present need for the NFL. So he could remain an R1 talent. If you are looking at tiers of players, it looks like Chase Young, and then about 5-7 guys in 2 tiers that are not really differentiated by much if at all. But on boards look like there is more than a full round between them. I expect that good teams that are picking late in the round will understand this and opt to cull from the 3rd tier late in R2 or even R3.

I expect that he'll be pushed back by many current late 2nd/early 3rd round prospects (as of now) that are on the list. Particularly amongst offensive tackles, which is starting to look kind of strong. I can see Mekhi Becton, Josh Jones and Isiah Wilson all leapfrogging Weaver in this class pretty easily.

At this time of year, about 10 of the prospects rated in the 15-32 overall range end up being late 2nd, even third round picks. Weaver has that kind of vibe. On tape, he looks almost exclusively as a base 5T. He doesn't show any real ability to bend. Has a very good get off, but consistently has shown little ability to convert speed to power. Looks like he's quick off the ball, but doesn't have another gear. Strong, but not long and you see it both when he engages with OL on pass rush, and in his tackling.

He has some size and power. Probably a lesser version of LJ Collier as a prospect. Collier has more length/power and better use of hands to go with an added 20+ lbs. Their agility is kind of comparable.

R1 edge guys are almost all twitchy sack artists. Weaver has a lot of sacks, but it's not against good competition. It's not necessarily his fault -- that's the schedule. But I don't find the numbers remotely compelling or translatable at the next level. Or more precisely, the next-next level.