First Round OT ?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
May not be available where we pick, but WOW!

T. Wirfs put on a show at the combine.
"Wirfs is in contention as the top offensive lineman in the draft and didn't do anything to hurt that status. He led all offensive linemen with a 4.85 second 40 time and also led the group in the vertical jump and broad jump."
(Microsoft News flash)

This guy could fix us up at tackle.
CBS projects him going to Giants with 4th pick overall.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... -work-out/

getnasty

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3fftqckh said:
May not be available where we pick, but WOW!

T. Wirfs put on a show at the combine.
"Wirfs is in contention as the top offensive lineman in the draft and didn't do anything to hurt that status. He led all offensive linemen with a 4.85 second 40 time and also led the group in the vertical jump and broad jump."
(Microsoft News flash)

This guy could fix us up at tackle.
CBS projects him going to Giants with 4th pick overall.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... -work-out/

Yeah he'll be long gone by our pick but Austin Jackson had a great combine and would be someone i would be fine with at 27.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Good eye nasty. IIRC Jackson topped the O Line crew at combine in a couple categories. He might even be available in 2nd round if we see a run on WR and D Line prospects...although I'm hoping we're in on the latter in our early efforts.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ivo, By my count Thomas scores about 20 pts lower than top tier. I can see strength score is low, and probably the easiest (outside weight gin) to improve dramatically. And if he gets stronger he might also improve his speed and skill marks, improving his overall score. Is that what why you're thinking he's worth serious consideration?

toffee

Reaction score
DK can our bench press this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1etq7wgi said:
Ivo, By my count Thomas scores about 20 pts lower than top tier. I can see strength score is low, and probably the easiest (outside weight gin) to improve dramatically. And if he gets stronger he might also improve his speed and skill marks, improving his overall score. Is that what why you're thinking he's worth serious consideration?

It was more of a shot in the dark. I've seen a lot of mocks with him in the 1st round. So I figured he'd be good enough late in the first. but I would prefer to trade back, then take him, or a more highly ranked OT.

Either way, we NEED an LT of the future.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
"It was more of a shot in the dark."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I always enjoy your posts pard, and you for that matter, but I sure hope our draft room crew isn't operating on the shot in the dark principal as much as we are!
I'm really hoping for someone like Jackson,although the mock has us snagging Jones from Houston. I'd much prefer Jackson, who the mock had taken with the pick right after ours.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Looks like my "shot in the Dark" wasn't so far off. :)

The nonsense written about Andrew Thomas a few weeks ago shouldn’t be forgotten. All those people who were calling him a guard and putting him in the late first are now moving him back into the top-12.

He has classic tackle size (6-5, 315lbs, 36 inch arms) and was a master at Georgia.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

Seahawker

Reaction score
With the loss of Fant and the advancing age of D. Brown, I think taking a LT prospect at #27 makes the most sense of any positional need. Hopefully J. Jones & B. Shell will cover RT and the influx of Finney, Warmack & Ogbuehi combined with our existing interior linemen will be enough to leave the only glaring OL depth need to be at LT. There seem to be 4-5 LT prospects ranked in the top 20 overall and there is a good chance one will fall to #27, with Solari, Hutch & whatever eyes we have out there we should be able to identify value at that spot.
Yes, yes as we all are aware we will be trading down to turn our seven picks into 10-12. Personally I do not think this method that PC & JS have relied on to give them more chances at success has worked enough to be considered optimal. I am starting to think they need double digit picks to allow both men enough picks to keep their ego's in check and satisfy personal little pet projects. Sure, the dynamic duo is a well oiled machine completely in sync and much wiser than the majority of front offices... that's the consensus. But I see a dilution that has weakened our overall roster and limited meaningful rookie contribution & early talent advancement.
That is a bunch of ramble to say I'd love to see them hold on to #27 & our two 2nds (59 & 64?) and take a LT, DE & DT with the top three, preferably LT #1. Then possibly trade down a couple times in the 3rd & 4th to get those extra picks they so covet. Our FO has been so squirrely with first rounders over their tenure that I've pretty much given up on following top 50 talent & mock drafts, as it was a labor of love in the distant past. This I know, RW3 is the biggest reason we win, his new contract reflects that and he has never been given adequate protection.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Duane Brown will turn 35 years old on August 30, we were very lucky to acquire him in trade (2nd-5th) in 2017.
This move was a saving grace considering our years of substandard O-Line performance, we will not find another trade like that in the future. I'm surprised that there aren't more who see our 1st round pick as our best available window to address this, Russell has been beaten & ran for his life enough, how about we try to protect him in his prime?
I want them to use #27 & one of our 2nds to trade up and take a legitimate LT with potential & high ceiling. I'm sure they will do their very best to trade down & away from the top (5) tier left tackles and I boldly predict they will eventually take one in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. The amazing Kreskin also see's this diluted pick as likely never becoming a solid blind side protector. If they could just hit on a LT now it would really free our hands and open things up free agency & draft wise for the near future. Poor drafting is why we have lost our hold on the division. First & second year players most important initial role is to fill in for injured starters, with Fant gone lets hope BD76 has a healthy season.

Seafan

Reaction score
Drafting a left tackle is an important move the Hawks SHOULD consider in this draft but not in the first round. The LT position is really really deep in this draft and so is WR. Neither are pressing needs for the Hawks.

Lining up and playing defense is a more pressing situation and the Hawks can position themselves to take some DL who can have immediate impact and meet a sure need.

I hope the Hawks emphasize defense in this draft. DL, possibly edge/LB types, safety.

I expect they will find a 3rd day WR who can compete for a roster spot. There are several LT who they can likely get in the 3rd through 5th round.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seafan":a9w7kqcv said:
Drafting a left tackle is an important move the Hawks SHOULD consider in this draft but not in the first round. The LT position is really really deep in this draft and so is WR. Neither are pressing needs for the Hawks.
How many rookies available at #27 will really be able to make an immediate splash this year, especially given the COVID situation and limited amount of practice? In my view the Hawks have been careful this off-season to avoid a reliance on rookies seeing immediate playing time. There is still a veteran pass rusher to be added whether that is Clowney, Griffen or another.

I would suggest a mindset about the 2020 draft that focuses on bolstering depth, competition and special teams play. If any of them win starting jobs that is great, but the expectation should be that they are brought along and can earn increased playing time as they are ready, especially in 2021.

In that vein, OT strikes me as one of the best uses of a 1st round pick if we stay there. They could initially compete at RT, end up playing swing tackle, and then be in position to take over at LT next year.

Seahawker76":a9w7kqcv said:
I want them to use #27 & one of our 2nds to trade up and take a legitimate LT with potential & high ceiling.
The problem is that doesn't move you up very far (#17 or so) and this is an awesome draft to have 2nd round picks in. I don't know that any tackle available at #17 this year will necessarily be that much better than the prospects available at #27 or even #34.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Im not really a huge fan of drafting a player so high to be a backup but if not now, when? If Duane Brown misses time this year, which is inevitable, what then? This is also Browns swan song so.....

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":33gfnyd1 said:
Im not really a huge fan of drafting a player so high to be a backup but if not now, when? If Duane Brown misses time this year, which is inevitable, what then? This is also Browns swan song so.....

What makes it inevitable this year? What do you see in your crystal ball? True he's not young, but that doesn't mean he won't play a whole season.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1xce8j9a said:
Subzero717":1xce8j9a said:

What makes it inevitable this year? What do you see in your crystal ball? True he's not young, but that doesn't mean he won't play a whole season.

I see a 35 year old that has struggled thoughout his career to stay healthy enough to play every game.

If you were the GM would you roll the dice on him staying healthy and not having a competent back up?

Tical21

Reaction score
I like Thomas a lot but he's a guard or right tackle. The only LT prospect I've found so far that to me projects as a left tackle is Ezra Cleveland from Boise. He stands straight up in the run game, and may not be the best scheme fit, but I don't see anyone else with left tackle level pass protection pass the first two guys.