This years D.K. Metcalf

Chawker

Reaction score
Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame 6'4" 227 4.42 40 vert. 40.5

He fits the mold, his abilities on the field are the same as Metcalf's, big stong and will fight for every catch. Or flat out run your ass over. Any true hawk fan would love to have Claypool in there toybox.

toffee

Reaction score
From zero big WR to have two plus Lockett?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbball12

Reaction score
On film they are nothing alike. DK excelled at getting off press coverage and creating separation. It’s the reason his game translated right away. His speed on tape was apparent. I had him as my #1 receiver in the draft even before the combine. Anyone that watched him knew he would blow the combine up.

Claypool creates zero separation when lined up outside. He does not get off press. Before the combine I had a 4th round grade on his tape. I would have thought he was a 4.6 plus guy from his game tape. Now, you move him inside and he is a matchup nightmare. He excels on crossers and stuff over the middle. I think he translates best as a big slot or move TE. He may very well develop into a nice player. But, he is not DK.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Hmmm.._.

Both 6'4"

Both 230 lbs

Both run 4.4 40s ok D.K. Is faster

Both have 40 inch verticals

Both had 1000 plus yard receiving.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chawker":157tvtzj said:
Hmmm.._.

Both 6'4"

Both 230 lbs

There are similarities on paper, but in reality these players don't play similarly.

Plenty of better wide receivers in the draft. Maybe take a flyer on him in the 4th but I don't think he's a great fit here. He has the testing numbers, but to echo pcbball12, that speed doesn't really show up much on tape.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Chawker":14zfbnm8 said:
Hmmm.._.

Both 6'4"

Both 230 lbs

I see the physics similarities. I was just pointing out that they are incredibly different players on film. You stated they were the same on the field.

Don’t get me wrong, I see the appeal. But to me he is more a round 3-4 guy. And if he is drafted, I wouldn’t expect the impact we saw from DK right away.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't see a need for someone who does the same thing as DK. Seems more advantageous to me if we get someone who does something different, giving the defense more to think about. Add the fact that working the middle is where you go to move the chains and provide under pressure QB with quicker outlet. TEs are good for that. So is Gordon, who also has good size and blazing speed.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Their games don't compare at all. It's lazy to just go off of measureables.

I do like Claypool though. Stud blocker, and could be a really nice redzone threat and intriguing TE convert.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand what the question truly is:

A. Are we talking about who is the guy that mocks as mid/late first round pick that drops to the end of R2?

B. Are we talking about a guy who blows up the combine with eye popping numbers?

If it's B, I think there are three candidates. Tristan Wirfs, Isiah Simmons and Jeremy Chinn. Those guys put up ridiculous numbers. Chinn to me feels like by year three, he could be the best player in the entire defensive draft class at any position.

If we're talking A, I'd put AJ Epenesa in that category. He probably doesn't fall all the way to the end, due to the putrid state of the edge class in this draft. But I could see quite a few players that were seen as tier 2 guys leapfrogging him. He had a really bad combine and to me, kind of justified what I saw as uninspired game tape.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Claypool would be a hugh asset to our hawks and I'd love to see russ spinning the ball his way. Claypool gets so much separation on his goalline slants,its unreal. If he not open with the slant then pitch it to D.K. on the fade. Oops almost regot about Dizzle/Olson on a cornner rout. :0190l:

12th Dimension

Reaction score
At 6-4 and 238, the same exact size and weight as Simmons, Claypool’s results earned him a Sparq of 139. He’s more athletic than 98% of all NFL WR’s. He had a very good combine for a WR and a great combine for a TE sized WR.

Claypool 6-4 238 4.42 40.5 126
Simmons 6-4 238 4.39 39 132

Physically, he’s Dkish.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
12th Dimension":bvt6p0zm said:
At 6-4 and 238, the same exact size and weight as Simmons, Claypool’s results earned him a Sparq of 139. He’s more athletic than 98% of all NFL WR’s. He had a very good combine for a WR and a great combine for a TE sized WR.

Physically, he’s Dkish.
Chase is not this hidden gem that is going to shine carats.
People get too hyped over combine numbers instead of
what these players do in the game for 3-4 yrs.
Btw he doesn't play anything like DK.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3f1l4nk0 said:
12th Dimension":3f1l4nk0 said:

Physically, he’s Dkish.
Chase is not this hidden gem that is going to shine carats.
People get too hyped over combine numbers instead of
what these players do in the game for 3-4 yrs.
Btw he doesn't play anything like DK.

I’m not pounding on the table saying we need him. All I’m saying is he had a very good combine and has a unique skill set for his size.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Props to Chawker here. Looks like I probably whiffed on Claypool like I did with Metcalf. He's playing quite well - probably third best receiver in the class right now behind Jefferson and Higgins.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I whiffed too and I saw him all the time at ND..
Props to the Steelers for finding the best way to use him.
I'll eat my crow now.