Offensive Tackle Prospect

ivotuk

Reaction score
Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

Taylor has tools offensive line coaches dream about every night. He's the ultimate blocking project in this class. At over 6-foot-8 with arms past 36 inches, he's impossibly long and creates an mammoth arc to the quarterback. However, he weighed in at just 308 pounds at the combine, which means he has to gain weight. But, it's conceivable that Taylor's frame could easily handle 20-30 more pounds in the NFL.

Beyond his measurables, Taylor is a freaky athlete for his size, with a quick first step off the ball and gliding movement in his kick slide. Also, he plays with stellar knee bend in hopes of not getting out-leveraged, which in college didn't happen often. Taylor's grip strength is high-end too. While he's nothing resembling a people-mover in the run game, that's fine. The last sentence I wrote in my notes on Taylor was "...can be an All-Pro type." I won't be surprised when Taylor goes in Round 3.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... ee-rounds/

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Interesting prospect, Rob. How would you compare Alex Taylor to Matt Peart? Based on combine results they seem to be very similar.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's Ray but no big deal :)

I'm no expert, but from what I read, it would take a year or two for Alex Taylor to become proficient in the NFL, so very late pick.

Whereas Peart played against better talent level, so should be more experience, more ready for the NFL. However, I don't think either is an immediate starter. Just great physical traits, that hopefully can be taught how to play against NFL talent.

It doesn't always work though. Gary Gilliam seemed to have all the physical traits, but I remember reading that he didn't have the toughness to play on the offensive line. He wasn't a "dirt bag." :p