Lack of college pro days

richp01

Reaction score
With all that is going on, the lack of travel and the affect I am reading it is having on free agency. It got me to wondering about the lack of pro days at colleges and the affect it may have on the draft. I know that every year some combine invitees will skip certain drills and do them at their pro days instead. I have not seen any articles about it and just thought I would post the thought.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
richp01":3uljodwt said:
With all that is going on, the lack of travel and the affect I am reading it is having on free agency. It got me to wondering about the lack of pro days at colleges and the affect it may have on the draft. I know that every year some combine invitees will skip certain drills and do them at their pro days instead. I have not seen any articles about it and just thought I would post the thought.

It'll depend on the team.

For Seattle. Not much. They've admitted over the years, that they largely set their boards before the combine anyway. The lack of visits may hurt more than the pro days. Teams that do dilligence with coaches interviews will likely be rewarded on draft day as they usually are.

I'd expect a lot of teams to go more conservative in their selections. Big school prospects may be more heavily favored. Also many teams like to cull from the same programs over years. So familiarity probably will play a bigger factor than normal.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Teams will work people out privately if needed.
The good players will be found.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Yep. Loss of campus pro days hurts the smaller and less successful school fringe type players most. However film can be submitted download for review in any instance of interest, plus there's always digital contact allowed for interviews, right? I know Kansas held their annual junior days recruiting program via online tele-conference this year, which got national attention for ingenuity. Id be surprised if the nfl isn't on top of such possibilities.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd bet that many of the guy who chose not to work out at the combine are now wishing they had sone so.

OP
OP
richp01

richp01

Reaction score
jammerhawk":43atszp3 said:
I'd bet that many of the guy who chose not to work out at the combine are now wishing they had sone so.

I was thinking the same thing.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
richp01":n8zo01fc said:
jammerhawk":n8zo01fc said:

I was thinking the same thing.

It's more likely to affect players who were either hurt during the season or had seasons run late (affecting time/ability to train for the combine). But especially those with injury issues. The inability to get physicals make injury red flags a massive unknown in this draft.

But yes, opting to not compete at the combine definitely will hurt a lot of players. It's important to understand that the combine has it's own share of risks to injury. How many players end up coming up lame during testing? And training leading up to it. That's a huge concern. And correlates strongly for those players who have limited time to train properly for the events because they are in the CFP.

Not sure if there shouldn't be a change in schedule to push back the combine 2-3 weeks. And adjust the UFA signing period start accordingly. Seems there doesn't need to be 6 weeks interlude between UFA period and the draft. By early April, most activity is done anyway.