The most mocked player to the Seahawks at 27

getnasty

Reaction score
Yetur Gross Matos

I could be wrong but sure seems like his name shows up more then anyone else. That usually means he won't end up in Seattle but i'm hoping he does. For those guys that research this stuff more then myself, what has him falling late in round 1? Watching film he certainly passes the eye test to me, size and speed look good. Somebody help me.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Most of the prospects in the late 1st/2nd have enormous potential but are just relatively riskier. YGM looked like the kind of speed edge rusher we need at LEO but of course the question is whether that will translate to the NFL against better talent.

Most scouts considered him "fast but not very fast". Then he didn't run at the combine for strategic reasons and Penn State called off their pro day. The Hawks appear to target edge rushers who can beat a 1.7 10 yard split and his is unknown. Meanwhile a prospect like Jon Garvin has similar physical traits but a 1.67 split and better broad/vertical jump numbers and is mostly viewed as a day 3 prospect. Casey Toohill, Azur Kamara, Alex Highsmith, DJ Wonnum also seem to fit the Seahawks profile and are day 3 prospects.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mostly speed and agility. YGM has a lot of production. What he did test was explosive enough. But it's mostly quick twitch (10Y split) and SS/3C. On tape, he's not the kind of player that beats OTs around the edge and dips to flatten his rush. Those players get sacks at the 2nd level.

Irvin was one such type.

YGM has excellent length. And developing strength. He's not as strong as he's going to be. Shows excellent speed to power and able to cross an OT's face with a powerful inside rush. If he had better speed, he'd be lethal with that inside counter.

He's highly productive in college. Has some of the traits we covet. Missing the speed element which would put him top 15 in a normal draft class. More like a mid 2nd round player in a normal DE class. Has potential, but lack of speed numbers is problematic because his tape isn't flattering in that regard.

A lot of his sacks seem to be the result of long developing plays or clean up variety. Now those aren't totally to be discounted, but the real issue is pressures. The ability to create pressure and to create opportunity for others. And that's not altogether clear he's going to do that out of the box.

I wouldn't be bummed if we took him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My best guess gut feeling right now is that they trade down from 27 and take Curtis Weaver. YGM is alright, but he doesn't jump out at me. I like his bend, but I don't see "it" with him.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
One reason he might fall to us is because so many QBs are available to high pick teams who need a top shelfer to build around and, and also because the draft is loaded with talented receivers and O Linemen. However can't remember now if it was Kiper or CBS that I saw yesterday eve which had Minnesota snagging G-Mato one pik ahead of us and that was assuming we will pick at 27.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":rdr8yl3g said:
One reason he might fall to us is .....because the draft is loaded with talented receivers and O Linemen.

Looking at the last several drafts (last 10 years), and one thing stands out above all else. Offensive tackles and pass rush ends go early and go hard in round one. Even more than quarterbacks. And it makes total sense too. Every team needs at least two OTs and upwards of three DEs. Even teams with established QBs. The collective size of need at these two critical roles absolutely dwarfs that of getting a quality QB.

And what's more, is that the rarity of acquiring and keeping a franchise QB creates an absolute necessity for teams to have two to upwards of four of those players (OTs/DEs) on a cheap rookie deal. The cap makes it almost impossible to pay more than three of those 6 positions at market rates. Having a QB on a rookie deal really is a massive benefit -- since you can mortgage 2 star quality players at OT/DE with the difference a rookie v. market rate deal requires.

In strong WR years, teams most often push them to day 2. WRs really don't get a first round run on them unless it's a bad year for them. The OT class this year is deep, but not with a ton of real alpha talent. It's more akin to the day 2 group from 2015. I expect the OTs and the good OCs and the mediocre DEs in this class to fly off the shelves in the first 50 picks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Which means its highly unlikely.

This is a very weak DE class so Id be surprised if he made it to 27. If he did its very unlikely that JS has a first rd grade on him and if not a 1st rd grade its more like a 3rd so.....

I dont like him as a fit but who knows.

ivotuk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2fzqz7nn said:
Most of the prospects in the late 1st/2nd have enormous potential but are just relatively riskier. YGM looked like the kind of speed edge rusher we need at LEO but of course the question is whether that will translate to the NFL against better talent.

Most scouts considered him "fast but not very fast". Then he didn't run at the combine for strategic reasons and Penn State called off their pro day. The Hawks appear to target edge rushers who can beat a 1.7 10 yard split and his is unknown.

Meanwhile a prospect like Jon Garvin has similar physical traits but a 1.67 split and better broad/vertical jump numbers and is mostly viewed as a day 3 prospect.

Casey Toohill, Azur Kamara, Alex Highsmith, DJ Wonnum also seem to fit the Seahawks profile and are day 3 prospects.

Thanks for the other names, I enjoy looking up guys I'm not familiar with :2thumbs:

Looking up Jonathan Garvin, he showed fairly well at the Combine and might be a great pick in the 5th or 6th round.

Just looking at this guy, I don't know what it is, but I think he could be a sneaky good DE, with 9 - 10 sacks a year. Maybe it's because he seems like a "football player."?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonathan- ... 687272b120

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Art ... 145414618/

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 56834.html

Subzero717

Reaction score
ivotuk":2e6hezdz said:
AgentDib":2e6hezdz said:

Most scouts considered him "fast but not very fast". Then he didn't run at the combine for strategic reasons and Penn State called off their pro day. The Hawks appear to target edge rushers who can beat a 1.7 10 yard split and his is unknown.

Meanwhile a prospect like Jon Garvin has similar physical traits but a 1.67 split and better broad/vertical jump numbers and is mostly viewed as a day 3 prospect.

Casey Toohill, Azur Kamara, Alex Highsmith, DJ Wonnum also seem to fit the Seahawks profile and are day 3 prospects.

Thanks for the other names, I enjoy looking up guys I'm not familiar with :2thumbs:

Looking up Jonathan Garvin, he showed fairly well at the Combine and might be a great pick in the 5th or 6th round.

Just looking at this guy, I don't know what it is, but I think he could be a sneaky good DE, with 9 - 10 sacks a year. Maybe it's because he seems like a "football player."?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonathan- ... 687272b120

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Art ... 145414618/

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 56834.html

Add Derek Tuszka to that list.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
If Seattle stays where they are and Gross-Matos is available, I'm 99% sure they take him.

His family adversity combined with his college numbers and physical stats lead me to believe he is a Carrol/Schneider guy.

Largent80

Reaction score
The signings of all those OL may have freed them up to take BPA if they choose to do so.....Of course they need Edge/Leo...is YGM that guy?

I would like them to get Austin Jackson for LT of the future.....He could spend a year in development and given Browns age could even play.