2020 NFL Draft: Eight trades that teams should make on Day 1

ivotuk

Reaction score
2020 NFL Draft: Eight trades that teams should make on Day 1

By Chad Reuter Draft analyst

Giants trade No. 36 overall (Round 2) to Seahawks for No. 27 overall (Round 1)

Last year, the Giants moved up to get cornerback Deandre Baker late in the first round. If they make a similar move this year, it could be for a wide receiver. If pass-catchers Tee Higgins, Justin Jefferson or Denzel Mims are available by the time Seattle's pick rolls around, the Seahawks might be a willing trade partner for team looking to give quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley more top-level help on offense. In this scenario, the Giants would give up the 36th pick, their third-round selection (No. 99 overall) and a Day 3 pick (Rounds 4-7) to make the move (or a selection they received when trading down in Round 1, should they choose to do so).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-on-day-1

HawkGA

Reaction score
A two , a three, and another pick? I'd do that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not in a million years. That 99th pick is the 35th pick in round 3. It's a comp pick. And this draft is not deep. You get to the end of round 5 and it's basically UDFA quality.

Seattle can do far better with another trade partner. Heck, last year we dropped from 37 to 47 and picked up 77 overall. That's almost a full round earlier than this trade, and we're surrendering a much more valuable trade back (27 to 36).

Consider 2017. We picked 26 (as opposed to 27 this year). Ended at 35 (instead of proposed 36). For that pick we got:

(31)
(34)

Dumb trade. Really dumb trade. Seattle could do better trading back twice and get one significantly superior 3rd round pick and one in the 99 overall range and still land at around 45 overall.

A nine to ten spot drop mid 2nd round should get you a 100-115 overall pick. If we're making this deal, I'd just push for a 2021 5th rounder in addition to the 99 overall. That way, I can make another 5th round pick deal midseason for a Diggs type talent that finds himself on the outs.