Johnathon Taylor - Absolutely Ridiculous

ivotuk

Reaction score
Watching this highlight video, I giggled like an idiot several times. He went up against some pretty good teams, all stacking the box, and just made them look stupid. I'd love to have this guy. I think he could have a career similar to LaDainian Tomlinson.

[youtube]we_qHxD6C-4[/youtube]

Johnathon Taylor 40 Yard Dash 4.39

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonathan- ... d6b2d0b829

Running Backs

This turned out to be the L.T. show. LaDainian Tomlinson of TCU definitely elevated his draft position, maybe to the point where he becomes the first running back off the board. Tomlinson ran faster than people thought, clocking an impressive 4.38, and also caught the ball extremely well. The NFL brass I spoke with also raved about his showing during the interview sessions. ...

https://www.espn.com/melkiper/s/2001/0227/1113401.html

cheese22

Reaction score
If Seattle was willing to spend a 1st on Penny, they sure as hell should be willing to take Taylor at 27.

I noticed a couple times in the video that he likes to high step to avoid getting tripped up from behind. You never see that anymore. So many times I've seen a guy get tripped from behind by a heel and they would've never reached the runner if he had used a high step. Small thing but damn cool to see.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Normally, I would advise against taking a 1st round RB.

Taylor has some really special gifts that I see translating very well at the next level.

1. Vision and feet. He has excellent vision and reads blocking very well. Very quick and active feet which provides excellent ability to attack holes even where they aren't designed.

2. Balance. Ties in with his quick feet. Able to redirect, stop and quickly explode through seams.

3. Innate ability to high step. This is just God given. He is supernatural in his ability to avoid getting ankle tackled from behind.

4. Raw speed. This ties in with #3. Not only can he avoid getting tripped up, but has the natural footspeed to turn missed ankle tackles into massive gains.

5. Power. Coupled with good balance, he is adept at absorbing hits and maintaining footing. Should be one of the top five backs in the NFL in yards after contact.

So many of his gifts compound the value of the others. Not unlike the Safety question -- RB is a position that we will need in 2021 and 2022. Taylor is a special back in ways that Penny simply was not. He'd almost unquestionably be BPA at 27.

Even in a rotation, Taylor could have immediate impact for Seattle. Carson is great. But he has a lengthy history of durability issues. Which shouldn't surprise given his running style. It's an assumed liability that can and should be planned for with redundancy. Penny's knee injury was pretty severe and late. I honestly would not expect him to be the quality of back we saw during his 2019 run until after this upcoming season. Even if he does a herculean rehab stint -- he's going to be compromised even when he returns to duty.

If we took him, I would expect Seahawks Twitter to explode. But I would not be joining the torch and pitchfork brigade. Even despite the fact that I agree pretty firmly with the sentiment that RBs in round one are exceedingly wasteful. To me, Taylor and CEH are the special talents in this draft at that position.

Taylor is worth an R1 selection. Injuries willing, he should have an impact. And injuries should be a concern given his extensive use in college.

Chawker

Reaction score
After a quick review of our current situation at RB I'd hold no bones with PC and JS for pulling the trigger on Taylor,after all a good RB is a QBs best friend.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see Taylor playing for Seattle, there are more pressing needs to use an early pick on. One RB I am high on that can be picked later on is Mike Warren II from Cincinnati. He is a Seahawks RB through & through, he's got the size & speed, cuts like a razor, and he bring physicality. If they decide to move on from Carson (which I hope doesn't happen), then he'd be the perfect replacement.

getnasty

Reaction score
No thank you. He's a stud for sure but way more pressing needs then RB. If Penny's career was over then sure but he's probably only miss half the season and then we're good. Draft a guys in the 3rd round to spell Carson and let Homer be the 3rd down guy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":1hnpvh2m said:
No thank you. He's a stud for sure but way more pressing needs then RB. If Penny's career was over then sure but he's probably only miss half the season and then we're good. Draft a guys in the 3rd round to spell Carson and let Homer be the 3rd down guy.

If the choice is a sure fire RB, or a miss at DL again, which is what Pete and John have made a habbit of. You take the RB.

Subzero717

Reaction score
CPHawk":j6fz4sl4 said:
getnasty":j6fz4sl4 said:

If the choice is a sure fire RB, or a miss at DL again, which is what Pete and John have made a habbit of. You take the RB.

Because they've hit on so many more RBs than they have DL??

You dont take a RB at 27 with the holes we have to fill because we have drafted a RB in the first rd.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":1gwqyzry said:
You dont take a RB at 27 with the holes we have to fill because we have drafted a RB in the first rd.

I'm of a different mindset.

The biggest mistake teams seem to make, is trying to fill holes with rookies. Honestly, I would advise using UFA/Street FAs to fill holes. Use the draft to add talent wherever it may present.

Drafts are fluid and mercurial. You don't control the level of talent at any given position available. So predetermining a selection based on need almost ensures that you are going to get empirically less talent for your pick.

Additionally, rookies are often times not even league average in their first season. So if you have a hole in your roster in April, unless you're relatively fortunate, you're going to have that same hole all throughout the upcoming season.

Take for example, the Diggs trade. We had a massive hole at FS. We languished for the better part of a season and a quarter with a draftee that ultimately didn't work out. All it took was a mid range draft pick in a future year to solve that liability overnight.

Look at when we lost Kam. We languished with a draftee who couldn't make it. And we added McDougald. And it was solved overnight.

Relatively inexpensive opportunities to smooth out deficits in talent across the roster present themselves all the time. Whether it's an Iupati or a Fluker or and Al Woods. These types of guys FILL holes when they are still holes.

I think it's folly to draft for holes in the roster. The draft is where you get talent that can start on your team for the cheap. If you draft for need, you're getting the cheap part. Not necessarily the starter talent part.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":f2c5tae9 said:
Subzero717":f2c5tae9 said:

I'm of a different mindset.

The biggest mistake teams seem to make, is trying to fill holes with rookies. Honestly, I would advise using UFA/Street FAs to fill holes. Use the draft to add talent wherever it may present.

Drafts are fluid and mercurial. You don't control the level of talent at any given position available. So predetermining a selection based on need almost ensures that you are going to get empirically less talent for your pick.

Additionally, rookies are often times not even league average in their first season. So if you have a hole in your roster in April, unless you're relatively fortunate, you're going to have that same hole all throughout the upcoming season.

Take for example, the Diggs trade. We had a massive hole at FS. We languished for the better part of a season and a quarter with a draftee that ultimately didn't work out. All it took was a mid range draft pick in a future year to solve that liability overnight.

Look at when we lost Kam. We languished with a draftee who couldn't make it. And we added McDougald. And it was solved overnight.

Relatively inexpensive opportunities to smooth out deficits in talent across the roster present themselves all the time. Whether it's an Iupati or a Fluker or and Al Woods. These types of guys FILL holes when they are still holes.

I think it's folly to draft for holes in the roster. The draft is where you get talent that can start on your team for the cheap. If you draft for need, you're getting the cheap part. Not necessarily the starter talent part.

Your right and I do actually agree, at 27 with who is projected to be available Taylor is the best available talent. Running backs have a better chance to produce as rookies... An analyst said it best a few days ago. "If this is the 1980's Jonathan Taylor is a top 15 pick". Well Pete ball is stuck in the 80's more than most NFL teams and having a hard nose runner, with power that can make a house call any time he touches the ball is an important talent to this particular team and roster.

I know pff thinks it's stupid to draft running backs early and for most teams it may be but I think it's stupid not taking the team philosophy into account and what certain traits could mean to an offense that wants to pound the rock and take shots over the top.

There are other running backs that you could draft later, with better wiggle or better hands but no other throw back bell cows that can run the ball thirty times with each time the possibility of scoring a touchdown.

With our red zone issues and our conservative play for the 4th quarter philosophy, having a game breaker that can go the distance while they are doing there conservative thing in the first part of the game, is a dynamic talent for this particular offense.

The good news is that a lot of people feel that they can get running backs later or you don't draft them in the first round.. which is why the Hawks have a chance to draft him at in the first place at 27 and it gets better than that. There is a money ball market inefficiency at play here that will most likely allow the Seahawks to trade back into the second round and still draft him gaining more value in the process.

I would be happy if we draft him no matter what .. I will just be bummed out if it has to be in the first round because I will not like the fact that we did not maximize that particular market inefficiency. Another thing you don't do is pay running backs second contracts well Carson is coming up on his second contract and Rashard Penny coming off a knee. Running back does happen to be a need with the Seahawks in a position to fill that need with the best available talent.

Others will disagree but you won't change my mind .. he has to clean up the fumbles and tighten up his hands but the Seahawks ...must have thought that is not un fixable or they would not have met with him. He has his head on straight .. do a deep dive ..he cares about consistency.

After his freshman year Ron Dayne helped him understand how to take care of his body so that he could carry the rock 300 plus times a year, like I said his head is in the right place. This is the perfect fit for this particular prospect...

Defenses will have to respect the home run ability.. 10.5 100 meters 4.39 forty yard dash 21.6 mph are a thing for a 220 plus athlete.

Think about watching the Seahawks first half offense ... and every time they hand off to Taylor your hoping he can get a little day light so he can run for a touch down. I love Carson he is a stud ... but his big plays don't usually end in touchdowns .. somebody catches him.. most will not catch Taylor.

Anyway .. thats all I got .. yah love Taylor for the Hawks.... peace.

Subzero717

Reaction score
This is likley to be an offseason unlike any other. While I see your point in a RB being able to plug and play right away, where does that leave us a year from now, two years from now? Defensive end fir example isnt necessarily a position thatvrequires a ton of intricacy. We are now already paying for past sins. (Malik and Penny) Its actually a lengthy list if you keep going down the 1st round failures. Thats a whole nother thread.

I also agree not becoming a slave to need, if that need is a position or two. We have holes all over and can surely find talent at 27 to fill one of the many pressing needs we have. Especially when FAs at RB come exponentially cheaper than say a DE or a CB etc. The game is to get younger and cheaper and by doing that a year or two out. Somewhere we got cute and became slaves to need. Or knee jerk reactioned our way to drafting poorly.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Subzero717":w88nituv said:
This is likley to be an offseason unlike any other. While I see your point in a RB being able to plug and play right away, where does that leave us a year from now, two years from now? Defensive end fir example isnt necessarily a position thatvrequires a ton of intricacy. We are now already paying for past sins. (Malik and Penny) Its actually a lengthy list if you keep going down the 1st round failures. Thats a whole nother thread.

I also agree not becoming a slave to need, if that need is a position or two. We have holes all over and can surely find talent at 27 to fill one of the many pressing needs we have. Especially when FAs at RB come exponentially cheaper than say a DE or a CB etc. The game is to get younger and cheaper and by doing that a year or two out. Somewhere we got cute and became slaves to need. Or knee jerk reactioned our way to drafting poorly.

Yah there are two running backs that I wouldn't be mad at early, Jonathon Taylor and Clyde Edwards-Helaire. There are a lot of quality backs .. there are going to be good ones go undrafted, so you can find dudes and it's one way to go but do they have the right mind set, where are they at in there life, where is there focus, are they going to hit it from day one or will they take development.

This is why I value those two when you consider what they bring to the field as well as the right mind set, I already briefly talked about Taylor but with Edwards-Helaire it's not only his unreal cutting ability but it is how lethal he is as a receiver, I will take not having a home run threat with added talents he brings, I like them both.

I also am flaky as hell doing these mock simulators, because the more I do them the more I want more picks 50 through 90 because there are a ton of what I think we both agree on is most important....cheap 4 year contributors with the upside of more in that range. I find myself letting go of drafting Taylor or Edwards-Helaire if I am getting good draft pick compensation by trading down.When I say contributor, the floor is a healthy Will Dissly or Poona Ford, Jaran Reed. The upside for more is Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett's that are available somewhere in that range.

I just say those those two running backs because it seems to me they are the types ... we are wondering if we can afford them as they become free agents four years from now. With the edge class they seem to have something that makes me think they won't work out as sure things... I am looking for sure things as best that I can guess.

The Alabama kid Lewis, turned me off because of the injury fear .. but at the right value, it could turn out to be a home run with his best football ahead of him.

If we are not able to trade back though, and the Hawks have to pick at 27 the two best shots I can see at landing a four year contributor is one of those running backs. It's a crap shoot but trying to find the best odds is all this is and we have no where near the data or knowledge that the teams do and they mess up all the time.

I agree I don't want draft busts most of all, that is why I truly am thinking about it as best available player with the best odds for success even if the positional value is not as high, to the industry.

I also do not think the cheaper running backs that you mention come with the talent upside as the ones I would draft high, I also think running back is one of the tougher jobs in the NFL on the body and having a young, hungry under paid athlete is a good thing.

I don't know dude this is tough for sure, I think we can both agree we want to find some studs, so that we can get back to the dance. We need more hits and less misses, I still have faith in Pete and John... I think / hope they worked past the talent acquisition rough point and are hitting there stride. Lasts years draft class has some promise

Injuries have taking some of the wind from the sails of the last two drafts but they show promise since they tightened up there draft illegible requirements. The real problem is the years prior where it was all optimism and less strict to make it on there draft board.

Here is hoping they find us some difference makers whatever the position.

I am flaky .. I just remembered Zack Baun he is another even though he has been injured that seems like he has a chance that if we had to pick at 27 would make me happy... I have been up too long .. need sleep... peace.

..... damn almost a week away. :irishdrinkers:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Heres what latest NFL draft shows for rnd one.
"27. Seattle Seahawks | Xavier McKinney | S | Alabama

28. Baltimore Ravens | A.J. Epenesa | EDGE | Iowa

29. Tennessee Titans | Jonathan Taylor | RB | Wisconsin

I think that mock is FOS. I see either of Epenesa or Taylor, listed right AFTER Hawks at 27 as far more pressing and likely than another safety.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Appyhawk":dhfzuj2w said:

I think that mock is FOS. I see either of Epenesa or Taylor, listed right AFTER Hawks at 27 as far more pressing and likely than another safety.

Are we drafting for need or not?

McKinney is a far better prospect than either of those other 2. He can also play CB as well as both safety spots. I don't think he will be there at 27 but if he is and we trade down I will be disappointed. Especially when he ends up in SF.

Espensa isn't a Leo. We have 3 guys not counting Griffin or Clowney that play the other side.

We have 7 picks. It's futile. I cant see a scenario in which we stay at 27. The only way is not being able to find a dance partner.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Subzero717":15yt6brq said:
Appyhawk":15yt6brq said:

McKinney is a far better prospect than either of those other 2. He can also play CB as well as both safety spots. I don't think he will be there at 27 but if he is and we trade down I will be disappointed. Especially when he ends up in SF.

Espensa isn't a Leo. We have 3 guys not counting Griffin or Clowney that play the other side.

We have 7 picks. It's futile. I cant see a scenario in which we stay at 27. The only way is not being able to find a dance partner.

far better prospect .. I don't think so .. he may be rated in the teens by media outlets ... but he played on a stacked team and he ran a 4.63 and athletic traits mater when your talking about a safety prospect.

He may turn into a a stud but far better prospect? Never mind him being ranked 18 and the other in the 30's by media people.

Epenesa ran a 5 second .. it's true but so did Michael Bennett ... and thats who I think he reminds me of ... and yes we have a lot of strong side ends .. but whatever ... not drafting for need right.

Look I know forties are not everything and maybe he has an excuse for that time ... but the last time the Seahawks drafted a Safety that ran a 4.6 was Cedric...

They talk him up like he is the show and he may be but...this is a way better prospect
------Xavier Mckinney--- 6' 201 30 7/8 arms and 8/5/8 hands running a 4.63 fortry coming from a stacked team.

He is definitely captain of the over achievement team ... look we both know some people overcome physical disadvantages ... we have seen the success stories ... but I think athletic traits matter when projecting the success of athletic prospects.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JPC4Days":69usm1d2 said:
Subzero717":69usm1d2 said:
Appyhawk":69usm1d2 said:

far better prospect .. I don't think so .. he may be rated in the teens by media outlets ... but he played on a stacked team and he ran a 4.63 and athletic traits mater when your talking about a safety prospect.

He may turn into a a stud but far better prospect? Never mind him being ranked 18 and the other in the 30's by media people.

Epenesa ran a 5 second .. it's true but so did Michael Bennett ... and thats who I think he reminds me of ... and yes we have a lot of strong side ends .. but whatever ... not drafting for need right.

Look I know forties are not everything and maybe he has an excuse for that time ... but the last time the Seahawks drafted a Safety that ran a 4.6 was Cedric...

They talk him up like he is the show and he may be but...this is a way better prospect
------Xavier Mckinney--- 6' 201 30 7/8 arms and 8/5/8 hands running a 4.63 fortry coming from a stacked team.

He is definitely captain of the over achievement team ... look we both know some people overcome physical disadvantages ... we have seen the success stories ... but I think athletic traits matter when projecting the success of athletic prospects.

He cramped during his 40. He cut his workouts short because of it. I dont know what ge would run under normal circumstances.

As far as "stavked team" Im not sure what exactly thats supposed to mean? He was on a stacked team because he with the rest of the players on Bama, just like Clemson and LSU were better prospects than everyone else coming out of HS. Im not really sure how thats a knock.

In any case the difference in teens and 30s is a huge gap. We are talking about 32 total. Its halfway. Thats a big gap. Idk calling the site FOS????

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Subzero717":p452lm68 said:
JPC4Days":p452lm68 said:
Subzero717":p452lm68 said:
Appyhawk":p452lm68 said:

He cramped during his 40. He cut his workouts short because of it. I dont know what ge would run under normal circumstances.

As far as "stavked team" Im not sure what exactly thats supposed to mean? He was on a stacked team because he with the rest of the players on Bama, just like Clemson and LSU were better prospects than everyone else coming out of HS. Im not really sure how thats a knock.

In any case the difference in teens and 30s is a huge gap. We are talking about 32 total. Its halfway. Thats a big gap. Idk calling the site FOS????

stacked team because .. his job is made easier .. because of the ten other dudes made his job in coverage easier.... I have read people love him really talk him up ..but yah as soon as I saw the 4.63 .. I was not interested..

Could be legit that he had cramps ... or whatever but part of having a complete draft profile and not making excuses ... is checking all the boxes.

Could be in this day and age they have gps data on player speed on the field which is most important.. have to be honest the forty turned me off and I stopped looking into him.

Not sure what the Seahawks think about it .. if they sign off and draft him, I look into him but in all the draft simulators I have done picking for every team... he does not last until 27 ... because everyone pretty much talks highly about him as the number one safety.

I still want Taylor, Baun or a guy like Mims at 27 if we can't trade back but if it happens and the Hawks draft him ... I'll look into him and figure out why and read about and hear all the interviews .. and get on board.

Yah I don't want a bust in the first round... one more thing before we put this topic to bed.. I was thinking if we had to draft a running back and Taylor became a stud .. that 1st round option would not be a bad thing .. you would be getting the fresh tread on the tires .. have a stud rb for five years .. then get a draft pick compensation when he signs that second contract.

Although that 5th year option may be getting to be more money in the new cba .. hell I don't know .. it's how I feel but what do I know.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JPC4Days":2mabjr4j said:
Subzero717":2mabjr4j said:
JPC4Days":2mabjr4j said:
Subzero717":2mabjr4j said:

stacked team because .. his job is made easier .. because of the ten other dudes made his job in coverage easier.... I have read people love him really talk him up ..but yah as soon as I saw the 4.63 .. I was not interested..

Could be legit that he had cramps ... or whatever but part of having a complete draft profile and not making excuses ... is checking all the boxes.

Could be in this day and age they have gps data on player speed on the field which is most important.. have to be honest the forty turned me off and I stopped looking into him.

Not sure what the Seahawks think about it .. if they sign off and draft him, I look into him but in all the draft simulators I have done picking for every team... he does not last until 27 ... because everyone pretty much talks highly about him as the number one safety.

I still want Taylor, Baun or a guy like Mims at 27 if we can't trade back but if it happens and the Hawks draft him ... I'll look into him and figure out why and read about and hear all the interviews .. and get on board.

Yah I don't want a bust in the first round... one more thing before we put this topic to bed.. I was thinking if we had to draft a running back and Taylor became a stud .. that 1st round option would not be a bad thing .. you would be getting the fresh tread on the tires .. have a stud rb for five years .. then get a draft pick compensation when he signs that second contract.

Although that 5th year option may be getting to be more money in the new cba .. hell I don't know .. it's how I feel but what do I know.

You don't like a guy in the secondary they can and has played 3 different positions because of his 40 time but you want an undersized Edge rusher that had an equally slow 40 time?

As far as 5th year option goes, at the RB position it makes very little sense. You aren't saving much and what is the avg RB career length? We can talk about the fumbles another time.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I have no issue with drafting a RB with the first pick. I do have an issue with drafting a 3rd round quality back in the first round. Penny over Chubb was the height of stupidity.