Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Rated between 81 and 100 positions lower

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Will just suck

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So, another big reach with the first pick or do they pull their head out?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm thinking we'll see someone like Baun or Uche in the mid to late 30s, not a mega reach. They're gonna trade down as far as they possibly can.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2d1jwyqa said:

I don't mind reaching if it's for a worthy player.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3e1mqa2n said:

The word reach is entirely subjective, and says more about the person claiming it than those making the pick.

titan3131

Reaction score
are we talking rated on a big board? Or rated by the position group.

For example Willie G4Y is rated from 60-150. But is easily a top 3 LB in the draft.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And rated by whom? You? Your favorite pundit/draft "expert"? Ex-coaches?

Seems like a passive-aggressive poll from the wording of the OP through the poll as well.

James in PA

Reaction score
Definitely will trade down, maybe multiple times, and when they do finally make their first pick? Yes, most pundits will call it a “reach.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2plt135p said:

Seems like a passive-aggressive poll from the wording of the OP through the poll as well.

You pick the draft guru. I don’t care. It’s some here that are apologists for the crappy drafting that are sad to listen to here. Pick an OBJECTIVE source or a combination of them and use it to judge their picks. “Trust in JS and PC” is behind us and leads to most of the poster on poster violence on this forum and the fascistic “trust them and stfu” type posts. It’s time to quit excusing the draft failures year after year after year after year. Collier, Penny (over Chubb!!!), McDowell, Ifedi? A list of shame.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1sj7k2m5 said:
Ad Hawk":1sj7k2m5 said:

You pick the draft guru. I don’t care. It’s some here that are apologists for the crappy drafting that are sad to listen to here. Pick an OBJECTIVE source or a combination of them and use it to judge their picks. “Trust in JS and PC” is behind us and leads to most of the poster on poster violence on this forum and the fascistic “trust them and stfu” type posts. It’s time to quit excusing the draft failures year after year after year after year. Collier, Penny (over Chubb!!!), McDowell, Ifedi? A list of shame.

Come on, do you really think fans' "trust" or lack thereof has any bearing on anything? Fans can excuse the leadership all they want and it won't change anything as long as the team continues having winning records season after season.

Likewise you can complain and moan to your hearts content, and it isn't that fans here won't agree with some of your premises. But the quote above is a pretty crappy attitude generally; it will turn away a lot more than will be willing to engage with you, even if they're somewhat sympathetic to your complaints.

Good luck with that. :|

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
James in PA":38qjl6ai said:
Definitely will trade down, maybe multiple times, and when they do finally make their first pick? Yes, most pundits will call it a “reach.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The further you trade down the better chance those pundits have of being right. But they're just pundits. Gotta give the nod to coaches and talent evaluators with a proven record of team success on the field.
If it was easy to produce a team that rose to the top and manages to remain a playoff team year after year after year in a system designed to prevent that very thing everyone would be doing it. Rams got there but couldn't stay. Now we have the Niners up there, with Cards making a push. But Seahawks are still there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ubglvgl said:
You pick the draft guru. I don’t care. It’s some here that are apologists for the crappy drafting that are sad to listen to here.
Then take the Hawks out of it and consider Josh Uche and the Steelers.

We can all look at Uche's college film and we know that the Steelers have met with him a couple of times. That's about all we know considering he didn't test at the combine. However, let's say I spend a lot of time looking at his film anyway and end up ranking him as the 50th best prospect in the draft.

The Steelers on the other hand have likely had private investigators look into his background. They'll have talked to his head coach and his position coach. In addition, they have probably talked to many more minor figures such as an equipment guy inside the Michigan locker room.

They have met with him on multiple occasions themselves, asked a lot of questions, and digested not just his answers but also his attitude. Did he answer a zoom call laying in bed or was he wearing a tie? Did he understand the scheme questions?

Finally, the Steelers know what their own plans are regarding 3-4 LBs. How much they like their own guys, which FAs they could still bring in at the position, and how all the other 3-4 LBs candidates would fit. After careful review, they decide that Uche is the 35th best player on their board for their team.

How much should the Steelers care that I rate Uche at #50? How much should Steeler fans care? Not at all - instant mock draft "grades" are completely backwards and just tell you how far off the mock drafter was.

What I can do as a fan is follow Uche's career, and then give the pick a grade a couple of years down the road once the rookie contract is over and we see what the Steelers gained. However, even then you should treat it with a grain of salt because in life even good decisions can have bad consequences and vice versa.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
There has been talk that given the circumstances, the mocks will be off this year quite a bit more than most, so there probably will be a lot of picks viewed as reaches.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
AgentDib":2k5kkjbh said:
JayhawkMike":2k5kkjbh said:
You pick the draft guru. I don’t care. It’s some here that are apologists for the crappy drafting that are sad to listen to here.
Then take the Hawks out of it and consider Josh Uche and the Steelers.

We can all look at Uche's college film and we know that the Steelers have met with him a couple of times. That's about all we know considering he didn't test at the combine. However, let's say I spend a lot of time looking at his film anyway and end up ranking him as the 50th best prospect in the draft.

The Steelers on the other hand have likely had private investigators look into his background. They'll have talked to his head coach and his position coach. In addition, they have probably talked to many more minor figures such as an equipment guy inside the Michigan locker room.

They have met with him on multiple occasions themselves, asked a lot of questions, and digested not just his answers but also his attitude. Did he answer a zoom call laying in bed or was he wearing a tie? Did he understand the scheme questions?

Finally, the Steelers know what their own plans are regarding 3-4 LBs. How much they like their own guys, which FAs they could still bring in at the position, and how all the other 3-4 LBs candidates would fit. After careful review, they decide that Uche is the 35th best player on their board for their team.

How much should the Steelers care that I rate Uche at #50? How much should Steeler fans care? Not at all - instant mock draft "grades" are completely backwards and just tell you how far off the mock drafter was.

What I can do as a fan is follow Uche's career, and then give the pick a grade a couple of years down the road once the rookie contract is over and we see what the Steelers gained. However, even then you should treat it with a grain of salt because in life even good decisions can have bad consequences and vice versa.

An excellent response and agreed for the most part.

I am looking at objective vs subjective valuation of picks. Overall value received of a certain pick at a certain slot is a matter of the market.

Though I agree in most part my counter example would be an old Yugo. If I really liked old Yugos and researched them and then, because i liked them so much I paid triple the blue book price for one I might argue I picked the one I wanted (subjective) but I got screwed on the price (objective). The team CAN pick Chinn but if they pick him from their current slot they screwed up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":nxwz6vmb said:
If I really liked old Yugos and researched them and then, because i liked them so much I paid triple the blue book price for one I might argue I picked the one I wanted (subjective) but I got screwed on the price (objective). The team CAN pick Chinn but if they pick him from their current slot they screwed up.
In my view the difference here is about public vs. private information. In the case of the Yugo, we all have access to the same information and you can have a fair market price.

The draft is more like a new car released with no MSRP. All of us can look at the marketing materials and pictures, but the 32 NFL GMs are professional drivers who have taken a test drive and met with the engineers. There's no reason to think that their evaluation would be worse than a public consensus formed with a lack of information.

seabowl

Reaction score
Think we surprise this year and actually take someone:

1- We have heard of
2- Within the range if not better then where we are picking

I think there will be too many high named guys falling somewhat.

Think Reed/Metcalf type of fall and pickup for us.

Would be happy if we moved back and got:

Ruiz or Taylor or another place of need for a guy that dropeed