Jalen Hurts

xray

Reaction score
We've discussed drafting a backup QB before ; with many here thinking there is no need . Every team needs a good backup QB . Why not invest in a good rookie QB prospect that could fill that need and maybe garner a high draft pick in a trade down the line ? My choice would be Jalen Hurts . He might be still available in the 3rd round . He would fit nicely into the Hawks QB room . IMO

acer1240

Reaction score
710 ESPN hit on that very subject the other day, specifically naming Hurts.

I agree with the concept of developing a young QB as a future asset and I hope it is considered next week.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
acer, that little gif just cracks me up. I saved it to my desktop when it first hit the net and used to watch it every day for a little pickmeup. Hilarious.

Im pretty familiar with Hurts. He's a player all right. Thing is I think backup might be his career. Yes he can play, and pretty well, but I'm not convinced hes a guy you want for your starter in the bigtime. If a guy like that was available rnd 4 or 5 maybe, but not sooner than that unless we just aren't willing to pay Geno, who has been very impressive. We have such significant needs at other positions I wouldn't risk skipping over those.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would really like to get Hurts. I had kind of thought he'd be a great late round pickup. Then I heard he's projected more like the 2nd and 3rd round and I think that is too expensive for the Hawks.

But I think picking up a QB in rounds 5-7 would be a good idea.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Rat":1ohrtb3g said:
Appyhawk":1ohrtb3g said:
Geno, who has been very impressive.
When was that?
During the pre-season and running the PS team. All the team said he was great teammate and he played well before he got hurt. Problem with Geno would be his salary compared to that of a rookie.

I agree with your take, HawkGA.

chris98251

Reaction score
With Wilson in his prime I don't see a pick for a groom type QB, we need a serviceable player that can step in if necessary immediately, Geno, or some other player. If Wilson ever has a injury that keeps him out this will be the wake up call to get a heir apparent on the roster. I don't see them going after a player in a third or higher round they don't have a use for that can't play right away yet with the holes we still have to fill for depth and starters possibly.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
Schneider might see some upside to drafting Hurts...I think he could plug and play as a rookie in certain situations right away. Do your own research on him .

Rat

Reaction score
Appyhawk":ecmqaa42 said:
Rat":ecmqaa42 said:
Appyhawk":ecmqaa42 said:
Geno, who has been very impressive.
When was that?
During the pre-season and running the PS team. All the team said he was great teammate and he played well before he got hurt. Problem with Geno would be his salary compared to that of a rookie.

I agree with your take, HawkGA.

I don’t know that I’d classify his preseason performance as “impressive” as much as “marginally better than Paxton Lynch”. I havnt heard much about the PS team, but it’s nice to hear that he’s earning his money out there. I was absurdly high on him coming out of college.

The Breh

Reaction score
This is the most important year to have a serviceable QB in place.
Russ may not get injured.
But COVID is out there and in the event a quarantine is necessary for golden goose, we need to have someone really ready back there.
Not saying Jalen is the one. Rather we need to be fully prepared should lifes current climate hit our squad, much less our MVP.
Jalen can either fit that bill on the cheap, or be someone who we can barter in a trade at some point should he develop.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Starting with the third round I would think a QB would be very fair game. If they develop and we end up not needing them, we can get the pick back easily (and potentially more) in a trade. When Schneider first showed up he said he expected to be drafting a QB every single year.

The issue is that there are QB needy teams out there who are reaching on them, which makes any early-mid range QB a a poor value on draft day for a team that isn't desperate. As a result, we hardly ever draft them and the better value is at other positions.

HawkGA

Reaction score
AgentDib":338hqbqo said:
Starting with the third round I would think a QB would be very fair game. If they develop and we end up not needing them, we can get the pick back easily (and potentially more) in a trade. When Schneider first showed up he said he expected to be drafting a QB every single year.

And he's drafted, what, two? And the one that wasn't Wilson was a 7th round pick? I would be shocked if they used something as high as a 3rd round pick.

I do think we are getting to a QB saturated league so presumably we'll start seeing some pretty decent QB talent falling in the draft. Maybe this year, maybe not until next year. If Jalen fell to the 4th, I could be okay with it, but I'd still prefer to see a pick in the 5-7 range.

Subzero717

Reaction score
With as many holes as we have, I dont see it. Not this year. 20142016 was a fine time to try that. Besides I see Hurts being gine by the 3rd. No way we can afford that.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Subzero717":264ildtl said:
With as many holes as we have, I dont see it. Not this year.
Do you see any starting jobs on the roster that you expect to be filled by rookies? It looks to me like we have the freedom to draft BPA and to draft for the future.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
AgentDib":2i582bor said:
Subzero717":2i582bor said:
Do you see any starting jobs on the roster that you expect to be filled by rookies? It looks to me like we have the freedom to draft BPA and to draft for the future.
Agree that we have the freedom to draft BPA. However, I expect/hope to see rookies win starting jobs at 1-tech, SOLB, and 3rd down RB.

Subzero717

Reaction score
AgentDib":2pfae4fr said:
Subzero717":2pfae4fr said:

This is an odd year to say the least but what should be up for grabs is C, OT, SS, CB, FS either OLB positions, WR, a TE spot.

Seriously anything but QB and MLB should be up for grabs. We should also be looking to possibly find guys to start in 21 as both CBs are FA, Bobby IMO should be coming close, Duane Brown is 35 and this us prolly his last year.

We arent a very good football team outside #3. From a roster standpoint take the QB position out if the equation, I couod argue we have the weakest roster in our division. Now because we have the best QB by a margin we cover a ton of mistakes.

So, no. IMO we are nowhere close to having any type of freedom to be spending a top half draft pick on a back up QB. Look at what other tea0ms in our division are adding? Its a hard no. No way.