Harbaugh's Recommendations for the Draft

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Agreed.

Although there would have to be some kind of guard against a player pulling a La'el Collins move. Reinstate the old rule where players' rights are held by original drafting team until they have played their rookie deal in full.

What you don't want, is players refusing to sign, or threatening to not sign in order to steer their selection. And then using the return to school option as a method of making good on those threats. I would see the league needing to guard against college players 'feeling out' the league and using the NCAA to do it.

sutz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1ylolnf5 said:
Agreed.

Although there would have to be some kind of guard against a player pulling a La'el Collins move. Reinstate the old rule where players' rights are held by original drafting team until they have played their rookie deal in full.

What you don't want, is players refusing to sign, or threatening to not sign in order to steer their selection. And then using the return to school option as a method of making good on those threats. I would see the league needing to guard against college players 'feeling out' the league and using the NCAA to do it.
Very good points, and strong reasons to NOT make those kinds of changes.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkGA":13o2jhjx said:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29146934/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-wants-college-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft

Basicallyl, people should be able to go pro when they are ready. Also, if a player goes undrafted, they should be allowed to go back to college football.

I largely agree with the first point and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the second point.

AMEN!

NCAA uses that as leverage to try and keep them in school.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":8q3jd8fj said:
Agreed.

I think if the rule sticks to undrafted players, that should take care of it. Pretty sure basketball does this, yes?

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":83wihyw1 said:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29146934/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-wants-college-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft

Basicallyl, people should be able to go pro when they are ready. Also, if a player goes undrafted, they should be allowed to go back to college football.

I largely agree with the first point and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the second point.

I can see the points against but I agree in principle.