College football 2020?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Is the season going to happen and if so when?

Wonder if the scouts will be able to assess these guys well?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":pajttyx1 said:
Is the season going to happen and if so when?

Wonder if the scouts will be able to assess these guys well?
Sounds like the big D1 conferences are going to give it a go within their conference.

I think D2’s in certain conferences have cancelled (see Central wash)
While other D2 teams (Montana schools etc) are going to give it a go.

I think the local D3 schools have postponed their season until spring and are going with a possible shortened 4 game season in the spring.

A lot of the above may change as the Covid conditions change.
I don’t think anything is written in stone.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Big 12 and Pac 12 announcing they will cancel Fall, leaving Spring open, on Tuesday

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":12pfs3ic said:
Big 12 and Pac 12 announcing they will cancel Fall, leaving Spring open, on Tuesday

Yep, according to Dan Patrick. Actually, it sounds like they are throwing in the towel for the entire season, not just fall.

"The Big Ten and Pac-12 Conferences will cancel their college football seasons on Tuesday due to the pandemic, according to a report from Dan Patrick. The Big Ten's university presidents and chancellors held a previously unscheduled meeting on Sunday night to vote, according to The Associated Press.2 hours ago"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 8c97d123c9

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think they will push to Spring once they get the plan in place.

Way too much money involved not to. But that means relying on TV money and other investments as its likely stadiums won't be full.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":qbtf1qoo said:

Way too much money involved not to. But that means relying on TV money and other investments as its likely stadiums won't be full.

You would think but I was just hearing on the news that ALL college football may be cancelled as the Power-5 schools are discussing that right now.

What a year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":omj4tw8w said:
Uncle Si":omj4tw8w said:

You would think but I was just hearing on the news that ALL college football may be cancelled as the Power-5 schools are discussing that right now.

What a year.

But just for the Fall... at the moment. The verbiage is rather ambiguous.

They need football but it has to be profitable, and cannot come at the expense of other sports.

Doesn't help that so many athletes are now opting our and challenging the NCAA on social issues.

They're in trouble. Status quo in jeopardy

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Detroit Free Press said Big 10 was cancelled. Patrick said Pac 12 would be and I think that's also true.

I haven't heard of one major university in California even bringing its students back full-time. It's either all online or largely online for undergraduates, so how you expect them to play games when no one else has to even be on campus, I predict, won't really fly.

D

DomeHawk

SantaClaraHawk":9f48gzag said:
The Detroit Free Press said Big 10 was cancelled. Patrick said Pac 12 would be and I think that's also true.

I haven't heard of one major university in California even bringing its students back full-time. It's either all online or largely online for undergraduates, so how you expect them to play games when no one else has to even be on campus, I predict, won't really fly.

Well for one thing, no one has to be on campus if it is a TV only game. I think the plan is to see what spring looks like before officially cancelling that too. But who knows, it's confusing and very fluid.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1dglw9p5 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1dglw9p5 said:

Well for one thing, no one has to be on campus if it is a TV only game. I think the plan is to see what spring looks like before officially cancelling that too. But who knows, it's confusing and very fluid.

Liability is the issue, not safety. Notes from Big 10 meeting indicate many believe the kids are safer with their teams.

There will be much work put in to resolve the liability issue. SEC exploring that now.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":383r23as said:
DomeHawk":383r23as said:
SantaClaraHawk":383r23as said:

Liability is the issue, not safety. Notes from Big 10 meeting indicate many believe the kids are safer with their teams.

There will be much work put in to resolve the liability issue. SEC exploring that now.

Okay, wasn't thinking about that initially but it's risk mgmt on steroids. Given that orgs typically err on the side of caution something is going to have to change before this goes forth.

Indemnity agreements aren't always ironclad.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1oqcar44 said:
DomeHawk":1oqcar44 said:
Uncle Si":1oqcar44 said:

What a year.

But just for the Fall... at the moment. The verbiage is rather ambiguous.

They need football but it has to be profitable, and cannot come at the expense of other sports.

Doesn't help that so many athletes are now opting our and challenging the NCAA on social issues.

They're in trouble. Status quo in jeopardy
I kind of like a break from the hype and greed
that has gotten ahold of college football it's
not the same game anymore.
Maybe they can focus more on their education.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":11p84474 said:
Think the Big 12 is rethinking their decision to play? :mrgreen: :twisted:

Sounds like it. Thought we'd know by now