Biggest need for 2021 NFL Draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think it's Left Tackle. Duane Brown is probably good for this year, maybe next. But i want an elite prospect for that left side.

From Bruce Feldman's Freaks List, I want Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa, offensive tackle. Freakiest attribute: Chiseled size.

I believe it's behind a paywall, but I find the Athletic well worth it.

NFL scouts are very intrigued by the towering FCS O-lineman who’s 6-9, 325. The former tight end bench presses 500 pounds (despite 35-plus inch arms) and squats 600 pounds

He’s currently 325 pounds and ripped. Work ethic is unmatched, love for the game is through the roof and has a crazy high ceiling. No fat on him.”

https://theathletic.com/1938659/2020/07 ... rmances-2/

Freaks UNI Spencer Brown Main 0721

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Or maybe Trevor Reid from Louisville

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1281616871352004609[/tweet]

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Or this guy

Chandon Herring, BYU, offensive tackle

Freakiest attribute: Complete specimen

He is 6-7, 310 and is very lean with low body fat. Herring bench presses 410, cleans 380 and snatches 285, but he also can really move, having clocked a 4.9 40 as well.

TtyImages 599071918 scaled e1595283213909 1024x683

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The million dollar question will be will these guys last until pick 32 in the first round?
Not sure Seattle will have the draft capital to Trade up to get them.

I agree they need to start looking for DB’s replacement, but it’s gotta be a sure thing that starts right away, not the usual “project”.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":25hbncy6 said:
The million dollar question will be will these guys last until pick 32 in the first round?
Not sure Seattle will have the draft capital to Trade up to get them.

I agree they need to start looking for DB’s replacement, but it’s gotta be a sure thing that starts right away, not the usual “project”.

Depends on how well Solari can sell John the need whether they trade up, we did take Okung high.

sutz

Reaction score
Biggest need will be a chance to look at the players. This covid thing is screwing up the 2020 season big time.

I'm wondering how they can even hold a draft now. If the major conferences try to play next spring, will they be done by April/May for draft day?

It's gonna be interesting without a full season to evaluate players.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
sutz":yrb3odkq said:
Biggest need will be a chance to look at the players. This covid thing is screwing up the 2020 season big time.

I'm wondering how they can even hold a draft now. If the major conferences try to play next spring, will they be done by April/May for draft day?

It's gonna be interesting without a full season to evaluate players.

I think we need to recognize it isn't a matter of no information for these players, it is simply less information. My guess is the draft will lean heavily toward players that are Seniors/Red-shirt Juniors with at least 2 seasons of playing time under their belts prior to this season. That still provides some pretty good tape to gauge a player's ability and, if a combine is held, that will confirm if they have maintained their training physically.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Biggest need is now some more draft picks. But I thought left tackle was nearly an emergency this past draft.

mistaowen

Reaction score
LT to replace Brown and then an infusion of talent to this DL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A LT,DE and a couple of CB's gotta hit on a good one at some point.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Or, hear me out, the Seahawks pick up some scrub from free agency, or they move someone like Shell to the left.

However I hope that Seattle plans to draft early for a solid LT.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'd forgotten about the 1st rounders being gone, but there still might be somebody available in the 2nd?

Maybe they can trade for a known quality player like SF did with Trent Williams.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Left tackle is a huge need, but I'm not sure they'll have a shot at a prospect worth much without a significant trade up.

Outside of LT, I think the biggest need has got to be LEO, with DT following up right behind. Jarran Reed is basically out there playing every snap, and he's on essentially a 1 year deal with team option for year 2. Poona is serviceable and makes eye-popping run stops, and there's decent depth from the low end of the roster, but the rotation desperately needs another (good) guy.

I'm thinking Tedarrell Slaton from Florida could fit the bill. Big nose-tackle type. No real pass rush to speak of, but demands double-team or he'll blow the center back into the pocket. Gets his hands up to disrupt throwing lanes. He's stout, eats space, and tends to control his gap well. He's looking like a day 2 pick, but nose tackles have been tending to fall down draft boards lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see him into the fourth, where he presents seriously good value.

Another one - Cory Durden out of FSU. More pass rush upside, they move him around the line a lot. Lots of 5T. He's quick enough to shoot into the backfield if a gap presents itself, and can set an edge (being 310, he better be able to..). Like his motor and enthusiasm. Likely day 2 pick due to his versatility, I can see more traditional 3-4 teams liking him as a big end and putting a bit more of a premium on his skillset.

CPHawk

Reaction score
CB is a big, big need. LT, unless it's a top 10 pick, isn't going to be a guy we can rely on right away. Usually takes those guys a couple years to be reliable. Might as well sign a LT FA, and spend this draft on defense.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Didn't we draft Jemarco Jones to be the guy to replace Brown? If not, then carry on.

I do agree that we need a CB or 2 (in case Griffin leaves). We definitely need more DE pass rushers.

toffee

Reaction score
Like to think we need linemen, especially OTs and DTs.

In OL, We seems to have the right side taken care of, Pocic, Lewis, and Shell are pretty good and could get better in time. The left side of Brown and lupatu are aging and could only see their performance deteriorate with time. So far, we have a few backup guards that could step in for Iupati, but we need LT!

On DE, we are loaded with unproven young DEs, not so with DTs.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
raisethe3":kowwbuki said:
Didn't we draft Jemarco Jones to be the guy to replace Brown? If not, then carry on.

I do agree that we need a CB or 2 (in case Griffin leaves). We definitely need more DE pass rushers.

That's where they wanted to start Jamarco out. Since then, he's been right side and kicking inside at guard.

I'm not sure he's athletic enough for left tackle. He's really susceptible to speed. There are a few snaps at Ohio State where you saw speed rushers really get in his head and had him lunging outside after them, and then he'd look silly when the rusher cut back inside. Really awful 3-cone at the combine.

I'd keep him swinging as a backup guard and right tackle depth. The team doesn't really seem comfortable with him on the edge, which is presumably the reason we saw Ogbuehi come in and immediately be declared the backup at both tackle spots. Ogbuehi has been a pretty awful tackle throughout his career, but has more of the athletic attributes that teams look for in blindside protectors.

Think left tackle'll have to be solved from the outside. Either via draft or FA.

CPHawk

Reaction score
CB, CB and FS. This secondary is struggling, and they can't use the excuse we aren't pressuring the QB. We sacked Allen 7 times, and he still carved us up.