• No way Chawkers off his meds again.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chawker

Reaction score
The trade:

Carolina gets Bobby Wagner

We exchange 2,4,5 draft picks. Moving us up the draft board in those rounds.

We get 39 for 56 , 103 for 119 , 134 for 150.

Plus Carolinas third round pick. Selection # 73

Forthewin

Reaction score
High end players getting 2 firsts+ and this trade is talking about pick swaps? I am down to trade him, but bump those numbers up

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
The exchanged picks moves us up the board a round and a half, 48 positions to be process. That coupled with the 73 over all pick,makes this a vilable trade, not to mention lower are cap by a lot. Bobbys playing days are numbered.

Nobodies going to give us a first round pick for him. You're just dreaming.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
According to the Rich Hill draft chart, the combined compensation received for Wagner would be equivalent to that of between pick 43 and 44 overall in the 2021 draft.

Absolutely not a single solitary chance in hell.

You're dreaming if you think randomly trading an All-Pro middle linebacker who still plays at a near-elite level for what amounts to a mid-second rounder helps a 12-4 team more than it hurts it.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Elite level ? Talk like that will cost this team millions of dollars and we'll have to watch a over the hill MLB thatgets burned on every other play.

Wagner was a great MLBer ! But not no more.

He is not even close to his elite level ! Dreamer.

CPHawk

Reaction score
This is Seattle, we don’t trade stars until it’s far to late. Can we get something for BWags? Today for sure, next year or the year after maybe not.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chawker":unky4d6c said:
Elite level ? Talk like that will cost this team millions of dollars and we'll have to watch a over the hill MLB thatgets burned on every other play.

Prove it. Provide evidence to the contrary.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The biggest problem I see with this trade scenario is that JS/PC value quantity way more than draft position. This trade scenario does nothing to add to the number of picks only changing draft order of their picks.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Chawker":26e6psma said:

Wrong wrong! Bobby Wagner was the best overall LB last year and his #’s were also high! BW is one the best defensive players in the league with at least 3 good years left maybe more. That’s why if he’s traded Seattle will get at least 1 mid round 1 pick & a high 2nd. BW could generate 2 round 1 picks.

Raiders will definitely pony up more than a round 1 for Wagner it’s a no brained for LV.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
CPHawk":2abdrl5t said:
This is Seattle, we don’t trade stars until it’s far to late. Can we get something for BWags? Today for sure, next year or the year after maybe not.

No matter what happens Seattle is set because they have LB’s to replace BW but if the don’t trade BW when BW gets hurt there’s no drop off at the position.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I think there's value in unloading that contact, and I'd be good with taking what we can get, even if this is it.

We spent a 1st on his replacement and spending almost $20m on a linebacker is a luxury for a team with less holes than we have. Put that money into the lines or be prepared for getting nothing for him next off-season.

I think we could get more than that from the right team this year, though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Unload everyone, we will have 180 million in cap space and can sit and convert it to nickels, Dimes, Pennies and have contests on how high we can stack them.

pinksheets

Reaction score
chris98251":3jfa877a said:
Unload everyone, we will have 180 million in cap space and can sit and convert it to nickels, Dimes, Pennies and have contests on how high we can stack them.
The good teams know when to move on. About $20m over each of the next two years for an aging LB when you have as many weaknesses up and down the lines, isn't a good use of resources. If the NFL says "jk" and the cap doesn't come down this year, maybe he can be kept, but it's likely we will have little to no room to make moves to improve unless we free up significant space.

The Hawks literally spent a 1st on a guy to replace Wagner. See what you've got, get some value out of Wagz, and get young and angry on D again.

I love Bobby, but we're going to be between a rock and a hard place and can't afford paying salaries based on nostalgia if we want to leap forward.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pinksheets":3hwic52e said:
chris98251":3hwic52e said:
The good teams know when to move on. About $20m over each of the next two years for an aging LB when you have as many weaknesses up and down the lines, isn't a good use of resources. If the NFL says "jk" and the cap doesn't come down this year, maybe he can be kept, but it's likely we will have little to no room to make moves to improve unless we free up significant space.

The Hawks literally spent a 1st on a guy to replace Wagner. See what you've got, get some value out of Wagz, and get young and angry on D again.

I love Bobby, but we're going to be between a rock and a hard place and can't afford paying salaries based on nostalgia if we want to leap forward.

Selling high isn't always selling high enough. Seattle wouldn't be getting nothing for him by not trading him away - they'd be getting what will likely end up being a few more years of elite linebacker play, which is probably more than the probable mid-2nd they'd get/salary savings would amount to.

I just don't think the likely compensation would be enough compensation to offset the loss of a top-5 MLB and franchise icon. He's likely worth more here. No rush to shift Brooks inside, he's coming into his own as a 3-down OLB regardless.

If it were me, I'd need value amounting to at least pick 20 to justify the trade - and even then, it's risky inside of a championship window.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Say Wagner was traded, for whatever amount, and KJ was not resigned, the overall linebacker group would be in very rough shape. Toss in weak corners and holy smokes.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chawker":3f6e603s said:
What if, both KJ and Bobby retire tomorrow ? I'm saying get what you can now.

I'll get right on selling my house tomorrow for 40% less than its actually worth, too. It could burn down at any time, gotta get what I can now.

HawkGA

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2cycse10 said:
The biggest problem I see with this trade scenario is that JS/PC value quantity way more than draft position. This trade scenario does nothing to add to the number of picks only changing draft order of their picks.

Pretty much this. What difference does it make to draft earlier in a round when you're likely to take somebody 2 rounds too early anyway?

In fairness to the scenario, though, it does add a pick. So it's not JUST draft order.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkGA":gzoq8is3 said:
oldhawkfan":gzoq8is3 said:

Pretty much this. What difference does it make to draft earlier in a round when you're likely to take somebody 2 rounds too early anyway?

In fairness to the scenario, though, it does add a pick. So it's not JUST draft order.

They do value draft order. You can trade higher picks down into multiple lower picks, so its kinda the same thing.

They consult the value chart in the war room all the time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":hjudf0mq said:
oldhawkfan":hjudf0mq said:

Partially true. I think I'd be in favor of this trade.

I like getting a 3rd round pick back. I like being in a position where if we're looking at OL, there may be quality OT depth at a higher 2nd round selection. As opposed to being relegated to only selecting a OG/C. This is a very good OL draft. Seattle could come away with 2 starters on the OL with this trade.

But more importantly, it would mean getting out from under his contract. Wagner's 18m deal would equate to two, maybe even three good UFA signings given how this UFA market is already shaping up. Remember this is going to be a weird year with a LOT of cap casualty cuts that we wouldn't normally see. Prices will be grossly deflated.

Seattle is in a position where they've already drafted Wagner's successor. And he looks like he'll fit in nicely. Certainly Seattle would be in a better position to retain KJ without Wagner's cap hit on the book.

When considering ideas like this, we have to be mindful that this is not a normal year. Teams with cap space are going to get 3-6 new quality starters on the relative cheap.