Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JS says minimum for Russ is (3) 1st round draft picks.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table". Also 1/3 of the NFL teams have called for Russ. However The Prof said Russ is going no where. Something about dead money.

The way teams give away 1st these days...you never know.
    Hawks2022
    NET Practice Squad

• Read between the lines. Regardless he is nearing the end of his time here. I figure 1 more year then traded. Hopefully they do something with the draft capital.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Reading between the lines. JS is saying "Ain't gonna happen."
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• When did he say this? In what context?

I'm calling Clayton's reporting into question here (or maybe he misspoke). This seems unlikely to have actually been said by Schneider to me.

If the Hawks are actually leaking starting bids, then Russ will be gone sooner than later.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• I saw another report that said Mike Silver said teams around the league BELIEVE that it would start at 3 first rounders. Big difference than Schneider saying it. Also stated the team gets the message that Russ wants protection. He'll we've been saying that for five years.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• 3 first rounders to start the discussion, TO START, a team has to be desperate to go there, I would also add that is to even get a seat, final price is going to also be some other players and or draft picks.

This is the Rams and Bradford type situation where they traded the moon to have a chance to draft him.

The Panthers, Broncos, Dolphins may go there. At least to sit and see how this poker game gets put together, I would add there has to be a cash negotiation for the salary dump in Wilsons contract as well.

Then after all that Wilson has to be ok and may have his own demands about a contract if it is to be re negotiated to make a trade happen.

The Outlier and Joker in the deck possible late arrival at the game will be Dallas if Prescott slips through their fingers.

Remember, Wilson was JS's guy, he wanted him badly and I would expect being a Thompson / Wolfe disciple will not let a Franchise guy go like he does short CB's especially under contract for a few years yet.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The dead money is the biggest hurdle imo. I think it's something like a $32 million dollar cap hit. Having said that, if it does happen this off-season that means this team is doing a complete reset. With a lower cap and that kind of dead money hit there's no way to be aggressive in free agency and a lack of draft picks.

I don't think I am being too dramatic saying that trading Russ this off-season is the end of this era as we know it. Yes Pete and John are still here but it's pretty much starting over.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• I think 3 firsts is very generous..It's only going to go down
    the longer it goes.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• That would be a holy crap quote even if he never said it on the record, just off record to someone that relayed it to Clayton.

3 1sts is garbage for a QB that literally is responsible for at least half our wins.

We paid near that for an effing safety. I love Adams but he isn't Russ.

What. The. H.

You don't trade for a bucket of 1sts because:

1 - we suck at picking 1sts

2 - whatever team you give Wilson to is going to suddenly be good enough at least one of your 1st is going to be the equivalent of a 2nd.

3 - If you force 3 1sts in a single draft, your chance of getting a big haul is low. At least 1 of those 1sts will be squandered.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:I saw another report that said Mike Silver said teams around the league BELIEVE that it would start at 3 first rounders. Big difference than Schneider saying it. Also stated the team gets the message that Russ wants protection. He'll we've been saying that for five years.

This sounds more plausible and less terrifying, too.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• HawkRiderFan wrote:The dead money is the biggest hurdle imo. I think it's something like a $32 million dollar cap hit. Having said that, if it does happen this off-season that means this team is doing a complete reset. With a lower cap and that kind of dead money hit there's no way to be aggressive in free agency and a lack of draft picks.

I don't think I am being too dramatic saying that trading Russ this off-season is the end of this era as we know it. Yes Pete and John are still here but it's pretty much starting over.

The dead money can be managed by a redone/new contract
    before the trade..
    RW wants the trade?It will happen.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson has made plenty of waves throughout the infancy of the 2021 offseason. So much so that roughly a third of the league has called the Seattle Seahawks to see what it may take to acquire the superstar quarterback via trade, according to Michael Silver of the NFL Network. While Seattle isn't outright shopping Wilson, teams are calling and Silver did characterize GM John Schneider as someone who "listens to anything and everything," insinuating that the club may not immediately hang up on those inquiring clubs. Seattle's potential willingness to listen to offers on Wilson is also something CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has noted previously.

At the end of the day, however, a deal of this magnitude comes down to the price. What would it actually take to land Wilson and would teams be willing to pay it? Silver reports that clubs around the league believe the conversation starts with three first-round draft picks. Again, that's possibly just the starting point to acquire the eight-time Pro Bowl quarterback. So far, it's unclear if any club is set to meet that mark, but, given Wilson's talent, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him fetch a pretty massive return for the Seahawks if they ultimately do decide to move on.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... er-report/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• The title of this thread makes it sound like it is referring to a quote attributed to John Schneider. Sloppy.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

• One last note, there are GM's out there that will do this trade if they feel it will make their career. Hershel Walker Trade comes to mind. They are few and far between but someone of Wilsons stature can make a GM and Owner do things outside the box.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Hawks2022 wrote:The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table".

This is very interesting. In the past, I'm pretty John would have never even admitted that Wilson was available. The starting price of 3 - 1st rd picks is not surprising, it's affordable. Still surprised I just read that comment by Schneider.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Clayton is wrong. If Seattle wanted to trade Russ, they have ways to lower his dead cap hit.

I doubt a trade happens given that we are built to win now. However, if you do a bit of math, using the Khalil Mack trade as a baseline, the trade value for Russ would likely be three 1sts and two 2nds (present year value). You can then play around with this by assuming a quality starter is worth a 2nd, and an All-Pro, in their prime, is worth a 1st and a 2nd.

So far the most hilarious trade scenario, that I've seen, involves trading Russ to Miami for Tua, a 2022 1st round pick, the 3rd, 18th, 36th, and 50th picks. Then trading the 3rd pick and the 36th pick, to the Falcons, for the 4th pick and Matt Ryan. Presumably, from here, JS would then continue trading back until he's out of the first round entirely.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Then the starting point would be like trading RW for 3 Ifedis, Pennys, or Colliers. I'm sure any trade would involve picks that are higher than the 20s put the track record of 1st round picks isn't inspiring. Unless another star QB is involved, I can only see trading Russ as something that sets the franchise way back.
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Bench Warmer

• nwHawk wrote:
    Hawks2022 wrote:The professor was on the radio claiming JS said "Discussions don't start unless 3 1st are on the table".

This is very interesting. In the past, I'm pretty John would have never even admitted that Wilson was available. The starting price of 3 - 1st rd picks is not surprising, it's affordable. Still surprised I just read that comment by Schneider.

This is close to the Sherman situation a few years back. JS says everyone is available remember, just doesn't include what the price would be.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• As Ted Dibiase says, everyone has a price. Every player can be gotten for enough compensation.

As much as I love Russ if the team wants to run run run then they don't need a magician at qb. For me though I'd rather have Russ throwing more but a trade would be 4 firsts and a very good starter.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Another day, yet more fake speculation. Anyone can come out and say that it would take 3 first round picks. That's not some huge revelation. Just typical throw something out there, and people get worked up.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• But wait... I heard he was just a game manager!?! :sarcasm_off:
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, he just manages to win games, at a clip among the best of all time over his first 9 seasons 8)
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• No competent NFL owner would ever allow a marketable, future hall of fame QB in his prime to get traded because he doesn't want to be in a 1980's style offense, with trash pass protection every season.

Listen to the man, and give him what he wants
    massari
    NET Veteran

• So let us see here:

1 - We are talking here about potentially trading Wilson.

2 - We are thinking of not retaining Carson and going with Hyde as a starter. (Who not only isn't starter quality but is barely a backup.)

3 - We are talking about signing a ridiculously expensive TE from the Titans. This one makes sense if we keep Wilson but only if we somehow lose Pete.

This is our plan for getting better as almost every other team in our division is getting better?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• It won't happen this year unless Wilson demands it ; which he won't . If the Hawks fail to qualify for the post season in 2021 or do and get bounced out early again , then Wilson and the Hawks will part company in 2022 . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Just because "we" are talking (and that's really only some) about stuff, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    People are believing and running with everything the media throws out there. They want clicks, and it's working. I'll worry about it IF something happens. Until then, it's all talk.
    That being said, it's going to be a fun off season. So many players changing teams, getting cut etc.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Unless Russell demands to be traded I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Pete Carroll needs 4th quarter comeback magic to bail him out of every game where ‘dont play to win, play not to lose’ Peteball falls flat on its face. What quarterback can deliver that kind of clutchness?
    Hawaii-hawk
    NET Practice Squad

• The implication of this thread is that RW is being shopped by the team, and this just isn't so.

JS has said he isn't interested in trading RW but discussions would only begin at the level above which is expensive.

Drama never ends this time of year.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:
    Drama never ends this time of year.

Started by Russell, don't forget that.

The timing of Pete's contract and these rumors is way off anyway. Why would Pete and John want to start over rebuilding their team when Pete has what? 3-4 more years tops?

He's trying to win another SB before he retires, not spend the next 3-4 years trying to rebuild his team with a new QB.

That all spells Russell isn't going anywhere.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• What did he start? He said he wants more protection? To say this crap has been blown out of proportion is the understatement of the century. He's right, and it's about time he said something. Just surprised so many people have turned on him and/or seem like they are taking it personal.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I hate all this talk of “well, he’ll probably play with the Hawks this season but will be traded next off-season.” I’m not saying I disagree, I just really hate that approach. That is no way to run a team. If either side wants a change, just do it now. Otherwise, shut up and work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:What did he start? He said he wants more protection? To say this crap has been blown out of proportion is the understatement of the century. He's right, and it's about time he said something. Just surprised so many people have turned on him and/or seem like they are taking it personal.

Russ did start all this by making his feelings public.

So whether you agree with him or not is moot, no one would be talking about this if Russell kept his grievances in house.

No talk of trades, no Colin Cowherd blaming Pete, no "how many first round picks would it take." None of it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Started by Wilson? Maybe but the fault lies on the FO, not Wilson.

If he pushed for things internally, they chose to disregard, and then he ratcheted to the next level?

That is more on them for not listening to their QB. Certainly more on Pete for constantly being more of an impediment to his QB's success than an enabler.

Wilson likely did not create this, this seems more the result of an FO that feels it gets to do what it wants with its QB regardless of the QB's own opinions of the matter.

Since a HOF QB is more scarce commodity than an aging has-been coach, Wilson's opinion and preferences should matter more.

Because other teams would gladly take Wilson, but Carroll is pretty much at the end of his usefulness (if not beyond it now).

And it seems completely justifiable for Wilson to escalate given they seem to have ignored his warnings last year.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:What did he start? He said he wants more protection? To say this crap has been blown out of proportion is the understatement of the century. He's right, and it's about time he said something. Just surprised so many people have turned on him and/or seem like they are taking it personal.

So whether you agree with him or not is moot, no one would be talking about this if Russell kept his grievances in house.

No talk of trades, no Colin Cowherd blaming Pete, no "how many first round picks would it take." None of it.

Actually it still would have been talked about, it would have gotten out, just like some who something gets out every year about trading Wilson.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:What did he start? He said he wants more protection? To say this crap has been blown out of proportion is the understatement of the century. He's right, and it's about time he said something. Just surprised so many people have turned on him and/or seem like they are taking it personal.

Actually it still would have been talked about, it would have gotten out, just like some who something gets out every year about trading Wilson.

Russell's arguably the most polished measured athlete there is, everything he does is planned out and orchestrated.

So no, it wouldn't have just got out whether he went public or not.

You guys are making this into me criticizing Russell, and while I don't agree with him going public that's not the point.

The point is this thread and others didn't exist until HE initiated these conversations.

Which is fine, makes for great forum and sports talk until the draft. But don't kid yourselves, Russell brought all of this on himself, which again was calculated. He wants the "you better do what I say or I'm gone next year" conversations and information out there.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Which is no different than what MANY players have done. Maybe front office types and fans shouldn't be so sensitive. He voiced an opinion, finally. We live in a totally different time, and athletes have no problem voicing their concerns. I guess I just don't agree with people making him out to be some problem child and/or diva. It's fairly ridiculous. He got called a robot and boring his entire career. Now he finally says something, that wasn't that huge of a deal, and people are ready to run him out of town.
    Glad he did say something finally, and he was accurate. Meanwhile, Pete continues to get zero blame from much of the media. Could it have been in house? Absolutely. Is it even half as bad as the media and fans make it out to be? I doubt it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• We have reached the point where the QB is more important than the coach.

That is just the reality.

It is going to bury Pete because the next QB is going to tell him to stuff himself too.

Brady wanted AB. His coach said no way, we don't want or need AB here. Brady got AB.

Whether his coach wanted it or not, the QB got what he wanted, and rightfully so because everything hinges on the QB right now.

The QB is the most important piece of a team now, not the coach.

So you DO NOT trade your most important piece (QB) to satisfy a lesser piece (coach).

You just don't.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Good points
    Brady got what he wanted, nobody batted an eye.
    Watson is demanding a trade, no biggie...…
    Manning literally called out his O Line on a post game presser "let's just say we had protection problems"
    and nobody batted an eye.
    Rodgers has been complaining about coaching and front office his entire career, nobody seems to care.
    Stafford forced his way out of Detroit, good for you Matthew.....
    Eli Manning refused to play for the Chargers.
    John Elway refused to play for the Colts.
    QB's making their opinions known is nothing new.

Russ said he needs more protection, oh the horror :mrgreen:
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• RW used TV interviews to bait potential suitors! Schneider & Wilson are sitting back & waiting to see if the right deal materializes. A trade cannot happen unless Schneider & Wilson work together, it makes no sense to fight & get upset, these guys are Professionals, big $$$ is on the line, Schneider & Wilson are trying to create a “Win Win” situation for each other, that’s the bottom line.

The dead money isn’t a big issue for Seattle because it increases the value of the deal & screens out any deals that don’t offer the opportunity to draft a QB.
    If the dead $$ was an issue all they have to do is redo RW’s contract, I’m sure RW’s Agents & RW love the idea of a new contract.

Miami has indicated they are open to Watson! This means they are currently selling RW’s people the opportunity in Miami, will it work? Who knows!

If I’m RW I’m getting out of the NFC West, moving to less competitive Division on a team that resides in a low TAX state, like Florida. Jacksonville or Miami are logical choices! RW is a perfect fit for Urban Meyer’s offense. Meyer has minimal experience developing a QB, the GM has a history of bad decisions, and the owner is a rookie to the NFL.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• Still, an opinion, not a fact.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Russell's arguably the most polished measured athlete there is, everything he does is planned out and orchestrated.

So no, it wouldn't have just got out whether he went public or not.

You guys are making this into me criticizing Russell, and while I don't agree with him going public that's not the point.

The point is this thread and others didn't exist until HE initiated these conversations.

Which is fine, makes for great forum and sports talk until the draft. But don't kid yourselves, Russell brought all of this on himself, which again was calculated. He wants the "you better do what I say or I'm gone next year" conversations and information out there.

Schneider & Pete are deep in it too! All 3 guys are too smart! Bottom line all 3 are working together to try to create a “win win” situation for each other, they are testing the market, it’s business nothing wrong with it! The problem is the fans are not cool with RW leaving Seattle, so they have to orchestrate the drama!!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• um.……..ok
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:um.……..ok

Fact a trade cannot happen unless both Seattle & RW agree, fact both parties understand this fact! It’s doesn’t mean RW or Schneider can’t make a mistake or have miscommunication, bottom line they have to agree to part ways & can’t do it without each other’s support.

Discussion cannot happen unless there are teams RW wants to play for & at least 1 QB in the draft Seattle wants!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:So let us see here:

1 - We are talking here about potentially trading Wilson.

2 - We are thinking of not retaining Carson and going with Hyde as a starter. (Who not only isn't starter quality but is barely a backup.)

3 - We are talking about signing a ridiculously expensive TE from the Titans. This one makes sense if we keep Wilson but only if we somehow lose Pete.

This is our plan for getting better as almost every other team in our division is getting better?

But if we trade Wilson then Pete & JS can turn 3 or 4 first round picks into 16 7th round picks.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• Top 3 teams in the 2021 draft have 2 1st round picks & the 2021 is a QB draft, this is the only reason there is RW talk & is the reason RW will be traded! Fans can’t handle the truth!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• No, he won't.
    Not this year at least...…..
    Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean he will be traded. Hope doesn't get it done.
    But, I'd gladly bet a 6 pack of beer. Plus, it's an excuse to drink beer :irishdrinkers:
    If he plays the entire 2021 season, you buy me a 6 pack of my favorite beer.
    IF he's traded, I buy your favorite.
    Deal?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:No, he won't.
    Not this year at least...…..
    Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean he will be traded. Hope doesn't get it done.
    But, I'd gladly bet a 6 pack of beer. Plus, it's an excuse to drink beer :irishdrinkers:
    If he plays the entire 2021 season, you buy me a 6 pack of my favorite beer.
    IF he's traded, I buy your favorite.
    Deal?

I’m saying he’s going to be traded because the media hype is staged! I’m not the one driving these rumors, if this wasn’t in the media I wouldn’t be saying anything.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• As others have said, there is zero chance that Schneider talked to John Clayton and told him that the minimum is three first round picks. This is either being misreported by Clayton, or more likely exaggerated by the forum member here. I'm sure there have been discussions (due diligence) but I doubt Schneider talks to Clayton period, let alone to divulge specific details about ongoing trade talks.

Moreover, while I'm sure teams have called to ask about Russ and there have been talks, they would be specific to each team. "Three first round picks" is a completely meaningless statement in the NFL where the Dolphins #2 overall pick is worth 2600 points and the Saints first round pick is worth 660 points. The cap implications of trading Russ along with his no trade clause make it an unlikely proposition that would require a very precise sort of trade, FAR more complicated than just "X first round picks please".

I have yet to see somebody propose a hypothetical trade with Russ that would be agreeable to all three parties involved. In the Miami example in this thread I see no reason why Russ would accept a trade to Miami after they traded us their best resources.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• I hope you are right but it isn't being 'exaggerated by a forum member here'

It is on every sports talk show today.

All talking about how the cost for Wilson is essentially 3 firsts.

If they trade Wilson, it will be like when the Bulls traded Jordan. It will be over.

That will be devastating.

Worse than when the effing Mariners traded Randy Johnson and I got to watch Randy win a World Series for the Diamondbacks.

QBs now play until 40 with the new rules. Which means a QB is still essentially in their prime up until 35. It makes no sense to trade a QB with at least 10 years of playing life still in them. Given the average contract is going to be 5 years.

I am really hoping this is just weird confusion being stoked in the offseason.

But it annoys me that the Texans came out publicly stating they won't trade their QB and will support him. The Seahawks are just completely silent on it, and their silence is going cause problems. I cannot believe that the Texans FO is looking smarter than our FO on this same issue.

I also hope this team realizes that you lose Wilson the next star you are losing is DK a year or 2 later. This is stupid.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• It would be stupid. But it's not happening.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information