Aldon Smith visiting Seattle? UPDATE Has signed 1 year deal

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Great signing. Low risk huge reward. The fact that it pisses off our neighbors down south is a small cherry on top.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":qmly0u65 said:
Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

It sounds like we signed him. Happy to have him. But curious.

What was the reason for the almost falling off a cliff loss of production?

Everything I look at talking about it from the Cowboys side seems to allude to mysterious 'problems' that it never gets deeper into. Just indicating that those problems (off field? on field? in the locker room? what?) led to him being used less.

It always makes me nervous when we think that guys with problems in one place won't have the same problems here.

But at this point, if he can help our pass rush I almost wouldn't care.

Confused on this because it makes no sense. Usually big problems tend to leak, seeing nothing on that front. But the giant drop in production has to come from somewhere.

I would prefer they use him a situational pass rusher and maybe only every other game in the event this was just his endurance being the factor. If we use him sparingly, even with less tread on the tires, he should still have a bit left for the playoffs (if we make them).

1. I’m thinking after Seahawks game, he was now one of about three Cowboys front 7 defenders teams had to really game-plan for.
2. The fact he was even a starter for them says a lot about their talent. Hence, he had to play a lot for a first season back after 4 years (bc no rotation) and he likely got gassed in the 2nd half of the season.
3. And in that 2nd half of the season, his team despite being in the NFC Easiest, pretty much checked out when Prescott went down.

2020 Aldon Smith seems rather 2019 Jadeveon Clowney... Except instead of missing just an off-season/pre-season, Smith was gone for 4 whole years and re-entered the league in one of the oddest, perhaps one of the hardest years to be pro-athlete while losing the star QB 6-7games in.

I don’t think Smith will start unless he’s going to be a giga SAM. As a rotational piece and spot-starter Smith might have the potential to do significant damage. In my head I kind of envision this move like Kendall Graveman... an average starting pitcher kind of re-inventing himself into a great relief pitcher. For Smith, I just want to see him pin his ears back and just throw fireballs with everything thing he’s got for 20-30 snaps a game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The former San Francisco 49ers first-round pick was an every-down player for Dallas, playing 809 snaps, 13th most among edge defenders last season. He compiled five sacks, 14 QB hits, and two passes defended to go along with 48 tackles last season. Pro Football Focus charted Smith with 50 total pressures last season, 20th at his position.

He might not be the pass-rushing force he was early in his career (33.5 sacks in his first two seasons), but Smith showed he can still win at the point of attack with speed, set the edge and win one-on-one matchups.

Last season, Smith proved that he still has juice left in his legs even after a long layoff. According to Next Gen Stats, Smith had a 9.1 pressure percent last season (40th among EDGE, min. 200 pass rushes). All Seahawks edge rushers combined for a 13.7 QB pressure percent in 2020 (30th in NFL, per PFF).

https://www.nfl.com/news/aldon-smith-ag ... e-seahawks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hopefully he stays clean, makes better choices, and is healthy.
The guy was a train wreck in Santa Clara off the field, no issues in little D last year so hopefully he’s trending right.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
One more thing to note, Smith has a near 84 inch wing span, a lot of the more successful Seahawks defenses have had players that could get up, disrupt passing lanes, freeze the QB in the pocket, and allow the pass-rush to hit home. So even if Smith is just half the player he used to be as a pass-rusher, he still has the ability to be quite valuable in a run defender/ pass disrupter type role player that Carroll likes in his defenses.

godawg

Reaction score
Hell yes! I've coveted Aldon since he was a rookie with the Whiners. Outside of Aaron Donald, I can't think of another player who has caused RW so much grief. Now if we can bring back Wright and Sherman, haul in AB, and get a good OC in the draft, we'll be ready to Rock & Roll.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
godawg":1wfah14u said:
Hell yes! I've coveted Aldon since he was a rookie with the Whiners. Outside of Aaron Donald, I can't think of another player who has caused RW so much grief. Now if we can bring back Wright and Sherman, haul in AB, and get a good OC in the draft, we'll be ready to Rock & Roll.
Chandler Jones!

Jones has been on par with torturing Wilson as Donald has been.

Calais Campbell was pretty effective when he was with the Cards.

Fred Warner also comes to mind at harassing Wilson.

Pretty much a lot of the NFC West rival players has put hands on Wilson.

Wilson would probably tell you too many players in the NFC West has put hands on him.

godawg

Reaction score
After I sent this one out I started thinking about Chandler Jones and Calais Campbell, but in his day Aldon Smith was worse. Much better to have him on our side.

chris98251

Reaction score
Being back for his second year he should be fired up now and in pretty good shape, just the fact that it pissed off the 49ers makes it worth while :)

irfuben32

Reaction score
Wow... These pass rush signings remind of when got Avril and Bennett

That worked out pretty well

vonstout

Reaction score
I like the signing but I would rather have KJ back. That was a bigger need IMO.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
vonstout":1dv51icu said:

Not sure I agree. I love KJ it is think we could potentially get an UDFA or late rd LB that could start at LB, Alton will push Green, LJ, Robinson, and Taylor.

We can hide a weak LB but DE depth is more important.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wenhawk":20qlhpbl said:
vonstout":20qlhpbl said:

Not sure I agree. I love KJ it is think we could potentially get an UDFA or late rd LB that could start at LB, Alton will push Green, LJ, Robinson, and Taylor.

Michael Kendrick's has a message for you, no you can't. You isolate and throw quick routes and out routes on him all day.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3lkuyat1 said:
Wenhawk":3lkuyat1 said:
vonstout":3lkuyat1 said:

Michael Kendrick's has a message for you, no you can't. You isolate and throw quick routes and out routes on him all day.

Then play less 3 LB and use Adams or Blair in the box more.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1ydvotuo said:
vonstout":1ydvotuo said:

Agreed. Our DE and pass rush was just terrible the first half of last year. I would much rather have that as a team strength then a third LB this year. Not that KJ wouldn't be a nice add, but he did say that money was his motivator this season and wouldn't give a home team discount. Looks like he completely misjudged the market to me.

Besides, Adams plays everywhere and maybe Taylor becomes a SAM for us as the third LB like Irvin.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vonstout":kjbmsadl said:

Why do you think these two things are mutually tied together?

Still some contract extensions and reworkings to be done before camp that could free up more than enough money to bring KJ back.

toffee

Reaction score
The question ought to be: would the Hawks be a better team with KJ?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

JPC4Days

Reaction score
First time in a while the Hawks will be able to have a true rotation to keep the stamina levels at max to produce 4 all day suckers in the aggregate.

The Seahawks coaching staff has a lot of experience and savvy, now they have the personal to match the situation week to week. I imagine the defensive coaches are excited about the possibility to dictate match ups along the defensive line when it comes to the game within the game. :rumble: I am talking about the kind of details that only people in the know would consider, the kind of thing that goes unnoticed by the average fan for the most part. They have a plethora of skill sets now to throw at different issues when game planning and during in game adjustments.

Conspiracy theorist in me wonders if they are setting themselves up to be able to only rush four predominantly and sit back in coverage like Pete wants to do making Jamal Adams available for a draft day trade. :stirthepot: The Jamal Adams fan in me is eager to see him sit back in coverage getting better and only blitzing at key moments in the game truly unleashing his potential as a game changer.

It's looking better can't wait for the draft.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
No excuses Seahawks you have the talent now to make the playoffs and maybe make a run . On paper this team looks pretty damn strong., I really hope Penny can give us something in the running game. If not he's another complete first round bust from Pete and John. I'm still concerned about the defense but Smith adds another good solid DE to the rotation. Our pass rush should be good this year.