Off season talk - Cody Barton

QuahHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3029tv7n said:
His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.

Better talent and upside than both of those guys, still some lack of short area quickness. Saw some flashes as he made a few big hits and key plays last year but also got juked or ran over a few times. This should be a pivotal season for him. He is not a top 50 OLB in the league but probably pretty close.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wenhawk":psfjgpow said:
nanomoz":psfjgpow said:
His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.

Better talent and upside than both of those guys, still some lack of short area quickness. Saw some flashes as he made a few big hits and key plays last year but also got juked or ran over a few times. This should be a pivotal season for him. He is not a top 50 OLB in the league but probably pretty close.

Leads me to believe it's an instincts issue, since his short-area burst is the only elite part of his athletic profile.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":12pv4vpl said:
Wenhawk":12pv4vpl said:
nanomoz":12pv4vpl said:

Leads me to believe it's an instincts issue, since his short-area burst is the only elite part of his athletic profile.

I don't see the shirt area burst, I think his effort and Tenacity are their, instincts have shown up but maybe not consistent yet or lack of confidence in his eyes so I guess that is back to the fact he may just not have the it factor.

A-Dog

Reaction score
He’s a backup WILL with decent zone coverage skills and good special teams value. He doesn’t have the length or skill set to play SAM. His agility (great short shuttle and 3-cone) show up in coverage but against the run he tends to get blocked easily (mediocre instincts), doesn’t tackle well in space, and he seems to lack strength and explosion despite hitting 30 reps on the bench at the combine. He can fill in if Bobby or Brooks go down but there would be a significant drop off. Certainly not a waste of a roster space but I don’t think he’s realistically going to challenge for a starting role.

kf3339

Reaction score
Well, at least he isn't Curry with no football playing worth at all. That's a plus!

Throwdown

Reaction score
kf3339":18yjvrmn said:
Well, at least he isn't Curry with no football playing worth at all. That's a plus!

No he’s quite literally Aaron curry just we didn’t draft him 4th overall, dude is worthless out there

Tinamedina

Reaction score
barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

and no, this is as good as barton is gonna get, its been 2 years now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tinamedina":upuw0a4l said:
barton was in the 2019 draft class that had devon white and schneider chose barton instead.

This may come as a shock to you, but White wasn't available when the Seahawks came up to pick.

He sorta ended up going 5th overall.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1xp1tcvx said:
Tinamedina":1xp1tcvx said:

This may come as a shock to you, but White wasn't available when the Seahawks came up to pick.

Yeah but we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x in that draft, two of those picks were LB’s.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":287gaymv said:
Maelstrom787":287gaymv said:
Tinamedina":287gaymv said:

Yeah but we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x in that draft, two of those picks were LB’s.

If we passed up Dre Greenlaw 3x, doesn't that sort of mean all the other teams did as well? Yet certain of you use that argument to indict only one of those FOs. :229031_confused2: Talk about cherry-picking "facts"!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Throwdown":btvw4p6p said:
Maelstrom787":btvw4p6p said:
Tinamedina":btvw4p6p said:

Fair. I'm not defending Cody Barton as a good pick, just saying that indicting the FO for choosing him over the player that went 5th overall is hilariously stupid.

kf3339

Reaction score
Throwdown":1zfrrmr6 said:
kf3339":1zfrrmr6 said:

No he’s quite literally Aaron curry just we didn’t draft him 4th overall, dude is worthless out there

The term "worthless" implies he can't play any position on a football team, at any time. That is clearly not the case as he plays special teams very well. In addition he can play as a spot starter when needed. The third year is when a lot of players make their mark on a team, so let's just see what happens.

Curry was never a really good prospect even before he was drafted. I knew it then and posted that opinion on this very forum the day we picked him.

A third round pick to me is about where his play level shows right now. I'll give him another season to see if things turn on for him, before considering him a worthless player for this team. I hope he proves some on this forum wrong.