Free Agency Continues .............

Jville

Reaction score
It's not over ............................ [tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1379863163793862660[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1379898416881274881[/tweet]

EDIT: Here is another reported workout ................
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1379932679458721793[/tweet]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Looking like they're going to be pretty focused on competition to sort out the backup interior spots.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This causes me to think that OG will not be a draft pick this draft.

I hope C is though as the reserve depth at C is not very strong. This the best draft in many years for OLine players and the team needs to acquire at least one other OT to compete and perhaps be ready for next year when Shell’s deal is done.

I suspect like Maelstrom the competition at G is going to be intense for the backup OG jobs. This will push the starters as well. This is a good thing. I believe nobody’s OLine job is safe after the initial 5.

Are any of these guys one time C’s?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Glad they are still looking at O Lineman. Would LOVE to see a more solid, consistent Center over another Guard. But, I'll let these guys do their jobs.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Been reading about all the linemen the Seahawks have been looking at and it struck me that they are all OG. I personally thought with Lewis and Jackson (and the recent back up signings) we were set and they would want depth at Centre. I wonder if we are looking at depth at OG is because the FO feel we are done at C, Lewis with Pocic as back up?

Of course we maybe just doing the usual tyre kicking.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -seahawks/

Edit: removed from its own thread as it seems relevant here.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I read your other thread and have wondered myself if the team plans on training up Lewis to eventually be the C. He did play at least one game there last year and played acceptably well. He did play C in high school and understands the position The team needs to become physically stronger inside to deal with Aaron Donald 2x per year. One of the chief downsides of Pocic is he is not physically strong enough in the middle to handle the inside bull rush.

Another thing is that Gabe Jackson has played mostly as a RG as a pro though he has played well at LG earlier in his career and may be stronger as a RG than as a LG which then has the two strongest guys at G as RG. To me if Lewis. Can move to OC and Warmack is the LG things could be markedly stronger inside. Of course I’m spitballing here b/c who knows the plan is. Maybe straight up Jackson is the LG, Lewis stays at RG, and the team drafts a C for depth or to start in place of Pocic. It’s interesting b/c if Warmack can return to his early physical self and be the dominant interior player he was earlier the inside of the line would be set for some time with Lewis as a C.

Both starting OTs are in contract years as well and some answers need to be found at T as well. I suspect the team has a plan in mind, or some ideas.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2gkx2sfx said:
I read your other thread and have wondered myself if the team plans on training up Lewis to eventually be the C. He did play at least one game there last year and played acceptably well. He did play C in high school and understands the position The team needs to become physically stronger inside to deal with Aaron Donald 2x per year. One of the chief downsides of Pocic is he is not physically strong enough in the middle to handle the inside bull rush.

Another thing is that Gabe Jackson has played mostly as a RG as a pro though he has played well at LG earlier in his career and may be stronger as a RG than as a LG which then has the two strongest guys at G as RG. To me if Lewis. Can move to OC and Warmack is the LG things could be markedly stronger inside. Of course I’m spitballing here b/c who knows the plan is. Maybe straight up Jackson is the LG, Lewis stays at RG, and the team drafts a C for depth or to start in place of Pocic. It’s interesting b/c if Warmack can return to his early physical self and be the dominant interior player he was earlier the inside of the line would be set for some time with Lewis as a C.

Both starting OTs are in contract years as well and some answers need to be found at T as well. I suspect the team has a plan in mind, or some ideas.

The blocking scheme has to change tor run a Rams type offense, they are looking for a skill set and I would think mobility to pull as well.

Somos doces

Reaction score
All this says to me is somebody in the front office has a hankering for the initials CW — an unusual but innocuous fetish. Would not be surprised to see the team linked to Charles Woodson, Chris Warren, and Charlie Whitehurst in the near future.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Chris: interesting observation about changing the the blocking scheme. With the addition of Gabe Jackson I am uncertain what the team’s plan is as Jackson has been a RG for the past few seasons which gives the team their top 2 OGs playing the same spot. The team has spotted Lewis at C and if so eventually gives the team a very solid and powerful right side and more muscle in the middle. This would mean the plan looks to be acquiring a quality OG to play LG. Then all of them in the middle have unquestioned strength and the ability to pull, trap, or power block. The ability to take on Donald would be significantly improved. The pulling and outside zone running game maybe a feature of the new scheme and when loaded up against it we’ll see Carson pounding it.

Before my theory goes too far, fair comment reveals Gabe Jackson was a quality LG before going to the Raiders, so I could be full of it, and he could play LG with Lewis staying in the position he played well in last year. Somehow though the curiosity the team seems to have about Warmack has some legs as they hope he may ‘find himself’ again and regain his earlier demonstrated high level of play and dominance. With the three of them in place, they’d have a wicked good interior OLine and could focus upon OT in draft where there are some quality candidates.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Helpful perspectives. I'll share a few of my own as well ................

The B.J. Finney object lesson:
Last year, the Seahawks in good faith signed B.J. Finney to a 2 year $8 million dollar contract. To protect his new found money, Finney avoided the possibility of a work out injury. He reported in poor shape and never did get into football shape during his time in Seattle. In the case of Finney, the front office missed detecting an important part of his make up. Finney deceived them.

Patience:
With the guards they have looked at, I think they will exercise due diligence. This time around, they are not going to throw a bunch of money at a journey man lineman they think can develop into a starting center. Finney was actually a guard converted to center. Those conversions are common among NFL teams. So when a team looks at guards they are also considering candidates for the center position. Lewis has demonstrated as much and could be a starting center if his is the long term skill set they want at center. I do think it good to proceed with patience and caution. Call it the Finney Effect.

Common Cause:
At this stage of free agency, I'm looking for them to focus on creating competition along the offensive line. All of the free agent linemen they have looked at so far have something to prove in 2021. From a front office and coaching perspective, a "show me" phase is in order. Show me you will come to camp healthy and in shape. Show me ya really want to compete. Show me you are a team fit.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The problem with evaluating the center position is that we have very little information from the outside looking in regarding the protection calls being made, how well they are working, and to what degree breakdowns are individual player mistakes vs. poor diagnosis at the line of scrimmage.

Of course we can see how well the center blocks, but just how important is run/pass blocking for the center position in the new offense?

If you watch the Rams/Bears game to see how the Rams handled the Bears defensive front, the center was usually in zone and double teaming with a guard. There were a few times where he ended up pass blocking on his own but the ball came out very quick on those plays. Most of the pressures came from stunts which is the expected weakness of a zone scheme, but it was usually the defensive tackles stunting around between G/T.

In the running game the center was always in combo with a guard at least initially, and the guard would move to the second level only after helping with the initial block. The Rams got a ton of mileage running the exact same misdirection play where the line zone blocked right and then they ran a reversal into a lot of open room on the left. They weren't asking much from the center in regards to blocking.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maurice Hurst Jr was recently released by the Raiders. He might be an intriguing addition to the Interior DL rotation. As he’s more of a 3 tech. Probably can get him for close to league minimum. Plus he’s only 25 yrs old.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Remember when we thought we could convert just about any guy to OL, or swap a career outside guy to the interior/vise versa?

I do, it’s like a recurring nightmare.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":3fbcanxl said:
Remember when we thought we could convert just about any guy to OL, or swap a career outside guy to the interior/vise versa?

I do, it’s like a recurring nightmare.

I think Solari got us back into the traditional prototypical O-lineman development and free agent scouting mold when it's come to building the line.

Pete still likes versatility, but it's much less broad in scope than it was with Cable.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jags just released Ryquell Armstead. It wouldn't be shocking if the Hawks gave him a look. He fits the profile. A stocky 220 lbs and ran a 4.45.