a Russell Wilson critique

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Own The West":39cdidm7 said:
MD5eahawks":39cdidm7 said:
Although it was a little difficult to listen through their over-the-top characterized delivery, I agree with just about everything they said. They didn't really cut Russ down. They merely just gave a summary of RWs career without rose colored glasses.

UK_Seahawk":39cdidm7 said:
The guy who had it good but wanted it better and made it worse.

Thats a decent take to be fair.
I liked that as well.

UK_Seahawk":39cdidm7 said:
Ultimately I think it comes down to $600k versus $35m.
Right on. I think they should have mentioned this. It is a very glaring aspect of the current NFL.

I think UK pulled the meat out of the thread right here. Although, I'll just add a couple more points for the folks that want to make it about something else:

1) Pete Carroll is one of three football coaches to win both the Superbowl and NCAA championships. His last Superbowl was six years ago. The only coach to win more in that time is Belichick, whom we are 3-1 against. He coached up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart to the highest achievement of their careers and got them the Heisman. Pete Carroll has won without Russell Wilson, but Wilson has never won without Pete Carroll. I understand being a fan is often about sticking with your favorites, but it doesn't make sense to say the guy with the proven track record is holding back the guy that's never done anything without him.

2) Criticizing Russell Wilson is not 'jealousy' or a "not black enough" indictment. Both announcers had plenty of nice things to say about both white and black QBs (including Russell Wilson) and had very specific praise for Russ. The root of their criticism was 'new' vs 'old' Russ; the latter went to the Superbowl twice and won, the former has gone 1-4 in the playoffs and pointed fingers at everyone but himself. Football is a team sport. If Russ has gone 'hollywood' or "me first" that's a legit criticism.

Spot on, well said

Scorpion05

Reaction score
toffee":3tvkavw8 said:
hawkfan68":3tvkavw8 said:
Who’s Emmanuel Acho? Sounds like a big sneeze to me
Acho is no body of course. He's totally unqualified to critique our St. Russell, who would have been the greatest QB in league history if that retard Pete Carroll hasn't been pulling him back with his outdated offense philosophies. Every Russell homers knew that.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

You’re absolutely right.

St. Russell has been crapped on by fans like yourself since entering the league. In fact, Acho himself doesn’t give Russ much credit for the initial success of the Seahawks.

All the numbers, efficiency, and historical facts point to Russell Wilson being crucial to Pete Carroll’s success. All the facts suggest (unlike what they stated) that the Seahawks spent the bulk of 2012-2020 doing it Pete Carroll’s way. And we’ve had nothing but first round exits since 2014.

Tom Brady was also critical to Belicheck’s success. Up until last year, people thought it was the other way around. So perhaps, the only way Russ will shut people up is by demanding a trade and succeeding elsewhere? If he was truly egotistical, that’s what he would have done. Instead he decided to stay and work with Pete.

The Seahawks need Russ more than Russ needs the Seahawks. He hasn’t gotten the adoration, respect, or investment in him that the Colts, Patriots, Bills, Chiefs, etc have given to their star QBs from a scheme/personnel standup until last year.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Own The West":1z5m2h8s said:
MD5eahawks":1z5m2h8s said:
Although it was a little difficult to listen through their over-the-top characterized delivery, I agree with just about everything they said. They didn't really cut Russ down. They merely just gave a summary of RWs career without rose colored glasses.

UK_Seahawk":1z5m2h8s said:

I liked that as well.

UK_Seahawk":1z5m2h8s said:
Right on. I think they should have mentioned this. It is a very glaring aspect of the current NFL.

I think UK pulled the meat out of the thread right here. Although, I'll just add a couple more points for the folks that want to make it about something else:

1) Pete Carroll is one of three football coaches to win both the Superbowl and NCAA championships. His last Superbowl was six years ago. The only coach to win more in that time is Belichick, whom we are 3-1 against. He coached up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart to the highest achievement of their careers and got them the Heisman. Pete Carroll has won without Russell Wilson, but Wilson has never won without Pete Carroll. I understand being a fan is often about sticking with your favorites, but it doesn't make sense to say the guy with the proven track record is holding back the guy that's never done anything without him.

2) Criticizing Russell Wilson is not 'jealousy' or a "not black enough" indictment. Both announcers had plenty of nice things to say about both white and black QBs (including Russell Wilson) and had very specific praise for Russ. The root of their criticism was 'new' vs 'old' Russ; the latter went to the Superbowl twice and won, the former has gone 1-4 in the playoffs and pointed fingers at everyone but himself. Football is a team sport. If Russ has gone 'hollywood' or "me first" that's a legit criticism.

I have watched and listened to Emmanuel Acho since he was on ESPN. He has never been super high on Russ’ greatness as a QB. And his contribution during the LOB years. Also, them being black has nothing to do with their fairness towards Russ. Russ’ first few years was filled with him being treated like an afterthought and getting those nasty “not black enough” garbage thrown at him.

Their criticism reaks of criticizing “uppity Russ” and “not knowing your place” Russ. Russ simply demanded the things that several great white QBs (mostly) have gotten without asking. A level of respect and love that other QBs have gotten. Such as as an O-linemen who is actually ranked higher than top 10 in pass blocking. And maybe perhaps giving your QB more than Jermaine Kearse and Paul Richardson as options to throw to. Or, not being at the bottom in O-line spending. It’s the equivalent of getting your wife a crappy gift every now and then because you believe she’ll never leave. Besides who would want her right? Besides, you pay the bills, why is she complaining??

There is also this narrative that Russ, despite getting paid about the same market rate as Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, and others...should take less money. Because apparently, Russ takes up 80% of the cap and is the main reason we are at the BOTTOM in O-line spending.

Nick Saban is a GOAT college coach. He flopped at the NFL level. Belicheck had a losing record pre-Brady. So did most great coaches in league history. Fact is, Carroll has NEVER won without Russ. If you believe that Russ would not win elsewhere, I would be willing to bet both of our houses that Russ would have more success than Carroll. This is a Quarterback league. Star Qbs are the reason franchises like the Seahawks have maintained their value as a franchise and the reason Pete still has his job. This isn’t a feeling. This is simple NFL history.

I for one, love that Russ put his foot down. He showed he no longer cared about anyone’s opinion. That he wasn’t the quiet black QB just there to never speak up and voice his frustrations (McNabb, Vick, Cam, and several others were). He spoke up, and he has essentially carried the team since 2015. Despite poor drafting and signings by Pete/JS. When people don’t give you the respect you deserve, you kick down the door and take it. That’s what Russ should do, or go to a team that will treat him with respect without him having to beg for it.

toffee

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2vmmqsqb said:
toffee":2vmmqsqb said:
hawkfan68":2vmmqsqb said:
Who’s Emmanuel Acho? Sounds like a big sneeze to me
Acho is no body of course. He's totally unqualified to critique our St. Russell, who would have been the greatest QB in league history if that retard Pete Carroll hasn't been pulling him back with his outdated offense philosophies. Every Russell homers knew that.

You’re absolutely right.

St. Russell has been crapped on by fans like yourself since entering the league. In fact, Acho himself doesn’t give Russ much credit for the initial success of the Seahawks.

All the numbers, efficiency, and historical facts point to Russell Wilson being crucial to Pete Carroll’s success. All the facts suggest (unlike what they stated) that the Seahawks spent the bulk of 2012-2020 doing it Pete Carroll’s way. And we’ve had nothing but first round exits since 2014.

Tom Brady was also critical to Belicheck’s success. Up until last year, people thought it was the other way around. So perhaps, the only way Russ will shut people up is by demanding a trade and succeeding elsewhere? If he was truly egotistical, that’s what he would have done. Instead he decided to stay and work with Pete.

The Seahawks need Russ more than Russ needs the Seahawks. He hasn’t gotten the adoration, respect, or investment in him that the Colts, Patriots, Bills, Chiefs, etc have given to their star QBs from a scheme/personnel standup until last year.
Emmanuel Acho was POS, unworthy to be mentioned in the same breath with our Saint Russell, who's full of grace, has the strongest of arms and highest if IQ.

12s are so blessed, time to turn the team over to him, fire Pete and John, just the Saint come marching in.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Lot of good stuff in there.

One that stood out, always going deep, not checking down or going underneath. Now was that scheme or just Russ not looking down- ultimately we don't know. We have a new OC now so that will be telling. But that was my biggest gripe at the end of last year. Stop looking for the bomb, stop holding onto the ball for 5 seconds. Quick throws are there, use them. Tom Brady beat us the second super bowl by doing two things, throwing quick check downs to the RB and little option routes to Edelman. Why can't we do that when Donald is eating Pocics lunch?!?!?

Russ has never been criticized for the ending of that super bowl.

Russ has gone Hollywood. I just saw him on the tonight show a few nights ago. Doesn't have to be a bad thing, he still puts in the work.... we know cause he tweets about it lol.

I believe it was UK, ultimately it comes down to 35 Million of cap for one player. Unless your QB is Tom Brady your team wont win a Superbowl doing that.....

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2qigjy5i said:
Own The West":2qigjy5i said:
MD5eahawks":2qigjy5i said:

UK_Seahawk":2qigjy5i said:

I liked that as well.

UK_Seahawk":2qigjy5i said:

I have watched and listened to Emmanuel Acho since he was on ESPN. He has never been super high on Russ’ greatness as a QB. And his contribution during the LOB years. Also, them being black has nothing to do with their fairness towards Russ. Russ’ first few years was filled with him being treated like an afterthought and getting those nasty “not black enough” garbage thrown at him.

Their criticism reaks of criticizing “uppity Russ” and “not knowing your place” Russ. Russ simply demanded the things that several great white QBs (mostly) have gotten without asking. A level of respect and love that other QBs have gotten. Such as as an O-linemen who is actually ranked higher than top 10 in pass blocking. And maybe perhaps giving your QB more than Jermaine Kearse and Paul Richardson as options to throw to. Or, not being at the bottom in O-line spending. It’s the equivalent of getting your wife a crappy gift every now and then because you believe she’ll never leave. Besides who would want her right? Besides, you pay the bills, why is she complaining??

There is also this narrative that Russ, despite getting paid about the same market rate as Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, and others...should take less money. Because apparently, Russ takes up 80% of the cap and is the main reason we are at the BOTTOM in O-line spending.

Nick Saban is a GOAT college coach. He flopped at the NFL level. Belicheck had a losing record pre-Brady. So did most great coaches in league history. Fact is, Carroll has NEVER won without Russ. If you believe that Russ would not win elsewhere, I would be willing to bet both of our houses that Russ would have more success than Carroll. This is a Quarterback league. Star Qbs are the reason franchises like the Seahawks have maintained their value as a franchise and the reason Pete still has his job. This isn’t a feeling. This is simple NFL history.

I for one, love that Russ put his foot down. He showed he no longer cared about anyone’s opinion. That he wasn’t the quiet black QB just there to never speak up and voice his frustrations (McNabb, Vick, Cam, and several others were). He spoke up, and he has essentially carried the team since 2015. Despite poor drafting and signings by Pete/JS. When people don’t give you the respect you deserve, you kick down the door and take it. That’s what Russ should do, or go to a team that will treat him with respect without him having to beg for it.

The funny part is most if not all the narrative are completely factually wrong.Example the oline can't improve due to Wilson salary The oline has been bad since PC got here that is 6 years before Wilson first big contract and guess what they did nothing. I am glad you mentioned the color thing, because that is exactly the biggest issue.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
John63":3jg9aiv8 said:
The funny part is most if not all the narrative are completely factually wrong.Example the oline can't improve due to Wilson salary The oline has been bad since PC got here that is 6 years before Wilson first big contract and guess what they did nothing. I am glad you mentioned the color thing, because that is exactly the biggest issue.

When the Seahawks won the Superbowl they had the most expensive Oline in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":3lrxdk9g said:

The lack of spending and picks on the O-line is a byproduct of the bigger issue.

Russell wants the team to go through him, he wants most of the cap spent on getting him that elite O-line and deep WR support so HE can be the team........and Pete wants the team built through the defense and run game.

Simplistic explanation, because of course Pete wants Russell to succeed, just not to the level that satisfies Russell.

So sure, spend more money and draft capital on the O-line, but with Russell soaking up 25% of the cap, then he and others who agree with that approach need to tell us where you're taking that cap from.

OP
OP
hoxrox

hoxrox

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2yz47zvv said:

He's was ranked #2 last year, so I think he gets plenty of respect. However, he hasn't gotten a single MVP vote for a reason.

OP
OP
hoxrox

hoxrox

Reaction score
gowazzu02":y7g3299o said:
I believe it was UK, ultimately it comes down to 35 Million of cap for one player. Unless your QB is Tom Brady your team wont win a Superbowl doing that.....

Yup and despite calls for better o-line and more weapons, Pete and JS are still building defense. Because they know that defense wins championships.

NINEster

Reaction score
hoxrox":32jx072q said:
Guaranteed some fans are not going to like this. But it's the offseason, and entertaining nonetheless.

[youtube]GVpqnDFQm4c[/youtube]

Been saying what I've been saying for the last several years.

John63

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3pd6v4yn said:
John63":3pd6v4yn said:

When the Seahawks won the Superbowl they had the most expensive Oline in the league.

Most expensive does not equate to how good they are.In fact from a pass blocking perspective they were bottom 7.

NINEster

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2q8qna0n said:

That's true to a good extent.

But other QBs have made it an AFC/NFC Championship Game/Super Bowl with far higher cap hits than $600k. Can't be used as an excuse.

Which means, In hindsight that the Seahawk roster 2012-2014 was even better than originally thought. Compare the 2014 NFC Championship Game versus anything the last few years. How could a recent Seahawk team lose a playoff game with that level of tenacity?

Remember that a thousand game streak of having a lead at some point in the game? Or similar streak never losing by more than a TD.

Epic stuff.

NINEster

Reaction score
It's on Carroll/Schneider to rebuild the defense and find a way to get a top flight running game.

It doesn't need to be #1 in points allowed in defense but something maybe top 5-10.

Might need a top 3 RB. A Derrick Henry would keep me up at night.

But as mentioned before, postseason Wilson is not quite the same as peak regular season Wilson.

Only 2015 Carolina and 2016 Atlanta scored more than 30 points against the Seahawks. Every other postseason game has been 30 points and under.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":r8yfrq3y said:
gowazzu02":r8yfrq3y said:

Yup and despite calls for better o-line and more weapons, Pete and JS are still building defense. Because they know that defense wins championships.

Hmm had a top 10 defense in 2011 and were 7-9. Yes a great defense is important but you still need to score. A perfect example is last years top scoring defense was LAR and at least in large part to not having a good QB they did not even get to the SB. I can go on. A great defense alone will not win you anything, you need offense as well.

NINEster

Reaction score
John63":3bfxsa9m said:
UK_Seahawk":3bfxsa9m said:
John63":3bfxsa9m said:

Most expensive does not equate to how good they are.In fact from a pass blocking perspective they were bottom 7.

Hard to be elite at pass blocking and run blocking in the modern day. 49ers under Harbaugh were much the same way.

Elite run blocking helps Seattle more than great pass blocking.

Wilson benefits less from great pass blocking than other QBs, but a tough to stop run game makes the Seahawks very hard to stop.

OP
OP
hoxrox

hoxrox

Reaction score
NINEster":2e4dg5vb said:
It's on Carroll/Schneider to rebuild the defense and find a way to get a top flight running game.

It doesn't need to be #1 in points allowed in defense but something maybe top 5-10.

But as mentioned before, postseason Wilson is not quite the same as peak regular season Wilson.

Only 2015 Carolina and 2016 Atlanta scored more than 30 points against the Seahawks. Every other postseason game has been 30 points and under.

That's what I'm banking on. A top 5-10 defense. If that can happen this year, with fans back in the stands, very excited about the upcoming season.

Derrick Henry? I wish.

Post season Wilson? Shoot, rather have 2005 post-season Hass at this point. Until proven otherwise, that is.

OP
OP
hoxrox

hoxrox

Reaction score
John63":vw5xzp3i said:
hoxrox":vw5xzp3i said:
gowazzu02":vw5xzp3i said:

Hmm had a top 10 defense in 2011 and were 7-9. Yes a great defense is important but you still need to score. A perfect example is last years top scoring defense was LAR and at least in large part to not having a good QB they did not even get to the SB. I can go on. A great defense alone will not win you anything, you need offense as well.

Of course you still need offense. You need balance - the Bucs were very balanced. But if you had only 10 eggs, I would put 6 of those eggs into building a dominate defense.

If you're into fantasy football, go offense. If you're into championships, go defense.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":23d7ccpe said:
NINEster":23d7ccpe said:

That's what I'm banking on. A top 5-10 defense. If that can happen this year, with fans back in the stands, very excited about the upcoming season.

Derrick Henry? I wish.

Post season Wilson? Shoot, rather have 2005 post-season Hass at this point. Until proven otherwise, that is.

Point of note very few QBs regular season stats and post season stats are close to the same. Even the supposed Goat Brady has a 7+ point drop in Qb rating in the post season. Mahomes has an 8+ point drop. Rodgers a 4 point, So you know Wilson is just 6 points.

As to Hasselbeck lets look at that , ahh his regular season and playoff Qb ratrings are both sub 85., HIs the best Playoff Qb rating was 101 and his 2005 Qb rating was 89 and his worst was 67. To compare Wilsons worse Qb rating in the playoffs was 72, his best 107 (2019 season) his avg 96. He has only been below 90 2 times out of his 8 playoff years. Hass has been below 90 4 of his 6 times in the playoffs.

So, once again the Facts show the whole premise is wrong.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":pu6m4mca said:
hoxrox":pu6m4mca said:
NINEster":pu6m4mca said:

Derrick Henry? I wish.

Point of note very few QBs regular season stats and post season stats are close to the same. Even the supposed Goat Brady has a 7+ point drop in Qb rating in the post season. Mahomes has an 8+ point drop. Rodgers a 4 point, So you know Wilson is just 6 points.

As to Hasselbeck lets look at that , ahh his regular season and playoff Qb ratrings are both sub 85., HIs the best Playoff Qb rating was 101 and his 2005 Qb rating was 89 and his worst was 67. To compare Wilsons worse Qb rating in the playoffs was 72, his best 107 (2019 season) his avg 96. He has only been below 90 2 times out of his 8 playoff years. Hass has been below 90 4 of his 6 times in the playoffs.

So, once again the Facts show the whole premise is wrong.

QBR only goes up to 100. Do you mean passer rating?