Could Aaron Rodgers survive 1 season behind our O-line?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
chris98251":3bprtp9p said:
Scorpion05":3bprtp9p said:
The responses here are bizarre. :?

Regardless of what you think about Russ, the Packers have consistently had a top 5 O-line. They had it with Favre, and they have it with Rodgers. Their pass block win rate is great.

The Seahawks O-line in the last half of the season, was ranked near the bottom.

Also, the idea that Rodgers gets rid of the ball like Brady is hilarious. He holds the ball almost as long as Russ, and in several years has held it LONGER than Russ based on time to throw numbers. This entire thread shows that everyone’s perception of Russ here is based on their stereotype of him, not facts.

Rodgers has an elite O-line, scheme, and an elite receiver. Trading for him over Russ would objectively be a DOWNGRADE.

A QB that gets the ball out on time and in a scheme that allows for underneath and crossing routes that are 2 seconds or so will make the ratings of a O line much better, they don't have to hold blocks as long, they have more left in the tank at games end, they have more energy on running plays where they have to move people and that rating improves.

But that’s just the point. Rodgers’ time to throw has always been above league average. He holds the ball, and extends plays. He can do that, just like Mahomes. Because of their O-line.

We’re the only fan base that expects their play extending QB to throw like Alex Smith, or Tom Brady. Rodgers, Mahomes, Josh Allen all hold the ball. We have debated the numbers on here already. Rodgers may have a quick release but he holds the ball. And his O-line consistently wins at the point of attack for 2.5 seconds or longer.

knownone

Reaction score
Eh, Rodgers makes his offensive lineman look better than they actually are. He can make quick off platform throws into tight windows, he’s incredibly disciplined with getting rid of the ball when things break down. If defenses tried to defend him like Russ, they’d get eviscerated underneath.

I think Rodgers and Wilson have similar ceiling; however, Rodgers is an easier player to build an offense around.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
knownone":f10k5nja said:
Eh, Rodgers makes his offensive lineman look better than they actually are. He can make quick off platform throws into tight windows, he’s incredibly disciplined with getting rid of the ball when things break down. If defenses tried to defend him like Russ, they’d get eviscerated underneath.

I think Rodgers and Wilson have similar ceiling; however, Rodgers is an easier player to build an offense around.

I agree. I would not take many qbs over russ but arod is one of em.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
getnasty":3s43hc5n said:
I think he'd do just fine. He has much better pocket awareness then Russ, scrambles well, quick release, and isn't afraid to throw the ball away.

Rodgers is the kind of QB that makes OL's look way better then they are.
He’s also not shy about shaking the OC off and calling his own plays. He’s alpha enough to shout the coach down too and he is definitely going to tell the GM who he should draft.
I don’t believe he could co exist with Pete & John at all.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think Rodgers can use more of the field effectively than Russ, but Rodgers may be the one elite QB who holds the ball longer than Russ. That’s just their style.

So it’s not a slam dunk to me that Rodgers would mitigate a bad OL better than Wilson I think it’s possible Rodgers’s arm talent might let him make chicken salad out of chicken crap more than Russ but I’m not certain.

Young Russ of course had escapability which was every bit the rush mitigation as Aaron’s arm talent. But Russ is nowhere near as elusive, with inferior vision, so Russ is now at the point where we either build him a better line or where the OC either runs more or finds a way to get it out quickly that doesn’t involve the short middle that Russ won’t test.

John63

Reaction score
Throwdown":qi5yhyai said:
Yes because Rodgers understands quick passing and can read two high safeties

really he does he was amongst the longer time to throw in the league as well. IN fact the one time he had a pass blocking oline 16th or worse he had 51 sacks. Also keep in mind they tried the 2 high safety thin gin 2015 and Wilson shredded it, but then he had an OC who adapted our OC did not.

It amazes me how much made up stuff there is about Wilson.

EH cant read defense even though it is documented he can,
he can't throw against a 2 high safety even though again documented he can, he can't throw over the middle even though it is documented he can. etc etc

you all need to realize Wilson like any QB is limited by his HC and OC. Now the one thing about Rodgers I agree with he would come Herr and throw a hissy fit and either the would go or PC would go.

Let me remind you all on avg he has had much more talent around him than Wilson other than 2013-2014. He has never had an oline rnaked lower than 16th while Wilson has never had one ranked higher, and that is form footballotusiders were they take into account qb play.

and as I have pointed out there stats are very close to the same in fact tell me which QB is which of these 3 but look how Close they are

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
pass attempts avg per year 623
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
506 pass attempts per year
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
480 pass attempts per year
9 ints per year

FYi GB had the highest pass block win rate in the NFL at 74%
PFF has Gb as the 2nd best oline Seattle 16th in pass blocking the highest ever FYI GB in the Rodgers era lowest was 16th.

I can keep going but you get the idea, the FACTS clearly show Rodgers has had more around him and still the stats are very very close, there for the further proves that the talent around Rodgers has been better than around Wilson as a whole especially since 2015.

one more stat, since some of you think Rodgers is so clutch

Most 4th qtr comeback wins

Rodgers all time ranked 48th Wilson 17
Amongst active Wilson 7th Rodgers 13th

4th qtr and ot since 2012
Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

and also in case someone says well Gb scores more that's why ahh

since 2012 Gb has avg 25.7 per game per season. Seattle 25.4 so sorry not scoring issue either.

Also Gb has historically played in a much weaker division than Seattle.

So sorry the FACTS show Rodgers has had more help than Wilson and the FATS show they are almost identical

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2v6q00fu said:
Throwdown":2v6q00fu said:

really he does he was amongst the longer time to throw in the league as well. IN fact the one time he had a pass blocking oline 16th or worse he had 51 sacks. Also keep in mind they tried the 2 high safety thin gin 2015 and Wilson shredded it, but then he had an OC who adapted our OC did not.

he can't throw against a 2 high safety even though again documented he can, he can't throw over the middle even though it is documented he can. etc etc

you all need to realize Wilson like any QB is limited by his HC and OC. Now the one thing about Rodgers I agree with he would come Herr and throw a hissy fit and either the would go or PC would go.

Let me remind you all on avg he has had much more talent around him than Wilson other than 2013-2014. He has never had an oline rnaked lower than 16th while Wilson has never had one ranked higher, and that is form footballotusiders were they take into account qb play.

and as I have pointed out there stats are very close to the same in fact tell me which QB is which of these 3 but look how Close they are

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

PFF has Gb as the 2nd best oline Seattle 16th in pass blocking the highest ever FYI GB in the Rodgers era lowest was 16th.

I can keep going but you get the idea, the FACTS clearly show Rodgers has had more around him and still the stats are very very close, there for the further proves that the talent around Rodgers has been better than around Wilson as a whole especially since 2015.

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

since 2012 Gb has avg 25.7 per game per season. Seattle 25.4 so sorry not scoring issue either.

So sorry the FACTS show Rodgers has had more help than Wilson and the FATS show they are almost identical

You're not trying to see the full picture, you're trying to cook stats to fit your narrative when several explanations exist.

Like how you conveniently left out Seattle's pass block win rate being near the top as well so you could hammer the "never higher than 16th" point home, without ever even actually saying what is being ranked.

Don't be so disingenuous, because the people already familiar with the stats can see through it instantly.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":22d0h3xx said:
John63":22d0h3xx said:
Throwdown":22d0h3xx said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

You're not trying to see the full picture, you're trying to cook stats to fit your narrative when several explanations exist.

Like how you conveniently left out Seattle's pass block win rate being near the top as well so you could hammer the "never higher than 16th" point home, without ever even actually saying what is being ranked.

Don't be so disingenuous, because the people already familiar with the stats can see through it instantly.

While its true there win rate was pretty good it was far less than Gbs win rate so I did not Leave it out for that reason at all. The point was Gb is the very top and the Seahawks while good was not even close to Gbs

And once again as you do you focus on one things in an attempt to find fault and ignore all the OVERWHELMING evidence to support my original stance.

Last year was the best pass blocking Wilson had, but still far from what Gb had. The last time and only time Rodgers played behind an oline like ours last year he had 51 sacks. In fact Seattle was 12 points behind GB in win rate this year. Also still does not change the fact they were ranked 16th in pass blocking again the highest Wilson ever had which again is the lowest Rodgers has ever had. Also given it was Wilson's best oline ranking he also had one of his best seasons ever.

Also as I illustrated despite on avg having a much better pass blocking oline throughout his career his sacks his avg sacks per year is 38 and Wilson's 43. Not as big a difference as one would think given he has played behind an oline over his career ranked much higher in pass blocking than Wilson's.

Again funny how out of all those facts I provided you try to pick on one and it ended up backfiring on you anyway as 12 points is huge and represents 70 drop backs or 2 games worth. So lets see Rodgers had 20 sacks and Wilson had 47. If we say %40 of those 70 drop backs result in a Sack that would give Rodgers 48 Hmm wow how big is that 12 point difference.

REALITY is the FACTs clearly show Rodgers has had the benefit of a much better supporting cast than Wilson espcially on the oline in pass blocking but his productivity has not been equal to that HUGE advantage. The numbers show he and Wilson are extremely close despite that talent disparage especially on the oline for pass blocking. Oh and also Wilson has not missed a game, while Rodgers has avg a little over a game a season since he played more than 3 games a season (due to playing behind Favre), and that behind a much better pass blocking oline.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":21xivnvs said:
John63":21xivnvs said:
Throwdown":21xivnvs said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

The people being disingenuous, are the ones that are openly ignoring stats and actual production to suggest that Rodgers would somehow outperform Russ on the Seahawks. You’re all pretending Rodgers is this short/intermediate passing QB whose time to throw isn’t literally 2.7 seconds or longer every season.

Also, Russ’ O-line has consistently been worse than Rodgers in pass block win rate. Why would you openly ignore that? Russ’ O-line has only ever finished middle of the pack or worse. And it finished middle of the pack, because the pass protection for the back half of the season was terrible. The O-line was top 5 for the first 6 weeks and during that time, Rodgers couldn’t hold Wilson’s jockstrap.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ckp3v6r said:
Maelstrom787":1ckp3v6r said:
John63":1ckp3v6r said:
Throwdown":1ckp3v6r said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

The people being disingenuous, are the ones that are openly ignoring stats and actual production to suggest that Rodgers would somehow outperform Russ on the Seahawks. You’re all pretending Rodgers is this short/intermediate passing QB whose time to throw isn’t literally 2.7 seconds or longer every season.

Also, Russ’ O-line has consistently been worse than Rodgers in pass block win rate. Why would you openly ignore that? Russ’ O-line has only ever finished middle of the pack or worse. And it finished middle of the pack, because the pass protection for the back half of the season was terrible. The O-line was top 5 for the first 6 weeks and during that time, Rodgers couldn’t hold Wilson’s jockstrap.

You're skating around my point, which is just that we shouldn't be framing stats in a certain way that cuts off the full picture to prove a point that the full stats don't prove.

Also, don't bundle me in with a group or misrepresent my position because it's convenient for you. I'm firmly in the completely reasonable camp that Aaron Rodgers would perform well here but that I wouldn't trade the franchise quarterback for him.

If we're talking last years protecton, yeah, he'd do fine. As long as he prioritizes getting the ball out and isn't afraid to use windows over the middle of the field, he'd be fine.

I still wouldn't make the trade, but Rodgers would be alright, so long as the short options are provided to him.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":34tnxs4i said:
Maelstrom787":34tnxs4i said:
John63":34tnxs4i said:
Throwdown":34tnxs4i said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

Bingo we have a winner.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1x4zjlw1 said:
Rodgers has an elite O-line, scheme, and an elite receiver. Trading for him over Russ would objectively be a DOWNGRADE.

GB's o-line is a little bit overrated. They gave up 5 sacks in the NFC championship game when it mattered. GB had more total yards, more passing yards and TOP than TB did, but still lost that game. Why? TB had the better defense.

hawk45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1uhu456a said:
Maelstrom787":1uhu456a said:
John63":1uhu456a said:
Throwdown":1uhu456a said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

I feel Russ is limited when it comes to using areas of the field to help vs 2 high and pass rush, and also that Russ inexplicably ignores blitzing corners or safeties off the edge, creating sacks that are attributed to OL but are all Russ.

That said I firmly believe OL should be a much higher priority. Which is why I dislike drafting an okay WR3 rather than a center who, even if he doesn’t play immediately, provides depth, because our OL is often thwarted by injury as much as anything else.

Russ has proven he can be productive with a receiving core of Tate, Baldwin, and jermaine Kearse. He can throw to nobodies, what he doesn’t do well is get the ball out quickly over the short middle.

hawk45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2pxfhq4c said:
Maelstrom787":2pxfhq4c said:
John63":2pxfhq4c said:
Throwdown":2pxfhq4c said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

I feel Russ is limited when it comes to using areas of the field to help vs 2 high and pass rush, and also that Russ inexplicably ignores blitzing corners or safeties off the edge, creating sacks that are attributed to OL but are all Russ.

That said I firmly believe OL should be a much higher priority. Which is why I dislike drafting an okay WR3 rather than a center who, even if he doesn’t play immediately, provides depth, because our OL is often thwarted by injury as much as anything else.

Russ has proven he can be productive with a receiving core of Tate, Baldwin, and jermaine Kearse. He can throw to nobodies, what he doesn’t do well is get the ball out quickly over the short middle.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":ywrghdaq said:
Scorpion05":ywrghdaq said:

GB's o-line is a little bit overrated. They gave up 5 sacks in the NFC championship game when it mattered. GB had more total yards, more passing yards and TOP than TB did, but still lost that game. Why? TB had the better defense.

ahh that does not make the oline overated look what TB did to KC oline and they were really good. IN the end they are both good olines but the TB defense played out of its mind.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":3bslmzbd said:
Scorpion05":3bslmzbd said:

ahh that does not make the oline overated look what TB did to KC oline and they were really good. IN the end they are both good olines but the TB defense played out of its mind. I mean if we play that game of well this team did really good agasint them, so they are over rated then everyone is overrated as at some point some team always makes another team or player look bad.

John63

Reaction score
hawk45":1rg98d7w said:
Scorpion05":1rg98d7w said:
Maelstrom787":1rg98d7w said:
John63":1rg98d7w said:

total yards 4320
tds 34
ypa 7.5
3/1 td/int ratio
97 qb rating
11 int per year

4291 yards
tds 34
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int ratio
104 qb rating
7 ints per year

4272 total yards
33 tds
7.8 ypa
4/1 td/int
102 qb rating
9 ints per year

Wilson ranked 1
Rodgers 12th

well the facts show he can do all those things you seem to think he can't do, but that's okay. also he has shown he can get the ball out quickly over the short middle., Just because you dont do it alot does not mean you can't, The system they use does not call for short middle. Remember PC has said he does not like short middle to much possibility of hit, batted balls and there for high risk. Historically speakign in PC as a coached teams they dont use shor tmiddle much that is a system thing not a QB thing.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that Rodgers, like Brady, gets shaken up after a few hits. Russ is used to getting hit.

hawk45

Reaction score
John63":g5ecaf88 said:
hawk45":g5ecaf88 said:
Scorpion05":g5ecaf88 said:
Maelstrom787":g5ecaf88 said:

well the facts show he can do all those things you seem to think he can't do, but that's okay. also he has shown he can get the ball out quickly over the short middle., Just because you dont do it alot does not mean you can't, The system they use does not call for short middle. Remember PC has said he does not like short middle to much possibility of hit, batted balls and there for high risk. Historically speakign in PC as a coached teams they dont use shor tmiddle much that is a system thing not a QB thing.
Show the tape of Wilson not being hesitant vs zone under in the short middle, not some “facts” you cherry pick and massage.

Because I can show you multiple open routes over short middle that Wilson ignored in a single game and sometimes series where you can see Wilson looking at them so the vaunted “but...but...progression” excuse you’re so fond of isn’t available