Let's put this myth to bed. Jerry Rice didn't ask for #80.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I've seen this pop up a few times on here over the years, most recently in the worst signings thread. A lot of Seahawks fans have an axe to grind with Jerry Rice for wearing #80 in 2004. It has been well documented at this point that known asshole Bob Whitsitt decided to pull a fast one on Steve Largent, and has made Rice look bad in the process. Rice NEVER asked to wear #80 as a Hawk. After the trade was made, Whitsitt phoned Largent and told him Rice wanted it. After Steve begrudgingly OK'ed it, Whitsitt went to Rice and told him it was Steve's idea. Both men have talked since and made peace with it. Please stop witch hunting Rice for something a confirmed jackass did.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest...teve-largent-giving-jerry-rice-seahawks-no-80

Rat

Reaction score
I believe it. If Rice was willing to wear 87 in Denver because he didn't want to take Rod Smith's number, I can't imagine he was insistent on taking Largent's here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you for that info. Any chance we can get a couple of large outdoor building numbers 8 and 0 and shove them up WitchesTit's butt? :stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
Whitsitt was a slime ball with the Sonics, the Blazers and the Seahawks, guy should have been on late night commercials selling appliances.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
He heard what he wanted to hear secondhand. Due diligence man. Talk to Largent yourself.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Rice could have easily declined to wear it

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I've come to the opinion since then that retiring jersey numbers is pointless. Honor your great players, yes..... have a ring of honor or hall of fame... but if some 3rd string TE wears #80 who cares. We place way too much value on what random digits a players puts on their jersey.

Steve Largent was the hero of my youth, not the number 80.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":dijhxl20 said:
I've come to the opinion since then that retiring jersey numbers is pointless. Honor your great players, yes..... have a ring of honor or hall of fame... but if some 3rd string TE wears #80 who cares. We place way too much value on what random digits a players puts on their jersey.

I agree. The Bears and Giants have retired 14 numbers each. A full 1/7 of all numbers. That's a bit absurd.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Maulbert":1r7kjhvt said:
I agree. The Bears and Giants have retired 14 numbers each. A full 1/7 of all numbers. That's a bit absurd.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way. Back in the Rice mess, I was super pissed off about the situation -- but after a while I realized that being pissed off didn't change the great memories of watching Steve Largent catch passes and represent the expansion Seahawks to the community.

Still and always the greatest Seahawk of all time. A small few have also been all-time players, but Steve was the original and that will never change.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3rgj8bd0 said:

I agree with you. Only issue is the Seahawks dont have a rich history and great players and retired numbers come at a premium.

Rat

Reaction score
Maulbert":symedbyw said:
Hawkstorian":symedbyw said:

MLB players have to be frustrated when they get drafted by the Yankees. Aside from all the current player numbers that are taken, they have like 60 retired numbers. Not much to choose from.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":eebvzj69 said:
Maulbert":eebvzj69 said:

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way. Back in the Rice mess, I was super pissed off about the situation -- but after a while I realized that being pissed off didn't change the great memories of watching Steve Largent catch passes and represent the expansion Seahawks to the community.

Still and always the greatest Seahawk of all time. A small few have also been all-time players, but Steve was the original and that will never change.
:2thumbs: Exactly..