Darrell Taylor impressing at practice

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/corbinsmithnfl/status/1393682182175019009[/tweet]

It looks like Taylor is primarily being looked at as a SAM right now. Seattle has been running bear fronts on the majority of the snaps, meaning the SAM role is very similar to LEO in terms of what a player ideally would be good at - setting an edge and rushing the passer. The Bear front is essentially a 5-2.

Regardless, its good to hear that he's getting closer to being full speed and is leaving a good impression so far.

Spohawks

Reaction score
A blitzing Saftey, LB and a bunch of hungry new DL could spell trouble for next years opposing QBs!

PETE, PLEASE FIGURE OUT THE CB PROBLEM!

Spohawks

Reaction score
So if a bear front is a 5-2...Who would play nose tackle? Fatty Ford? This could be AWESOME!

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Spohawks":k6ctbxt7 said:
A blitzing Saftey, LB and a bunch of hungry new DL could spell trouble for next years opposing QBs!

I think Sherman is signed to a 1 year $4 million dollar deal. I said this a month ago and im sticking to it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1ylu57yc said:
Spohawks":1ylu57yc said:

I think Sherman is signed to a 1 year $4 million dollar deal. I said this a month ago and im sticking to it.
Sherman remains an UFA. He hasn't signed anywhere.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1vf5gtog said:
Shanegotyou11":1vf5gtog said:
Spohawks":1vf5gtog said:

Sherman remains an UFA. He hasn't signed anywhere.

He means that is what he thinks will happen.....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For Taylor this really is his rookie season and he has the advantage of knowing what the system here looks like. He's had a season in a pro system although he he practiced late in last season but he didn't play and his contract tolled.

He wasa highly thought of defensive player with some ability to get after the QB who dropped in the draft b/c of his shin injury that was very slow to heal. The Hawks gambled a bit to trade up and draft him hoping his recovery would be faster.
The rewards to the deal hopefully will come this year.

This player will be quite motivated to show his stuff on the field so I suspect he will be pushing the staff for playing time.

toffee

Reaction score
Taylor has the potential to be our defense' X factor this season. Dude had a season to study the playbook and watch practices, he is more ready than a rookie if he did put in the works during his red shirt season. For our defense, the main concern should be CBs, we are loaded in volume but not in quality. At this point, there really aren't any FAs on the market and draft's over. Is Pete going to run with what we have?

toffee

Reaction score
Appyhawk":xqqd2v6t said:
I have more confidence in our CBs this year than I did last year. Unless Flowers has improved dramatically I see Brown winning for one side and Read on the other. Those two guys can ball out.
Sure pray that Flowers has a breakout year. That would be a huge difference maker.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love this guy and think he can be a 12 - 16 sack a year guy. He had 19.5 sacks in 3 years of playing at Tennessee.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1253842070554447873[/tweet]

"What they got in Taylor (16 1/2 sacks over the past two seasons) is an edge who played in a scheme that didn’t fully use his pass-rushing talents, leaving him somewhat raw in that area. Quite often, rushing the passer wasn’t Taylor’s main objective, even on passing downs. He was asked to hold the edge in the run game and played a lot of pass coverage as a true linebacker (against Kentucky, Taylor covered a running back on a wheel route out of the backfield near the end zone and did it well).

But when Taylor’s assignment involved getting to the quarterback, he would unleash his full arsenal. “He really was effective when you look at him in his third-down rushes when he was really determined,” Carroll said.

When Taylor went up against Georgia tackle Isaiah Wilson, who went 29th overall to Tennessee on Thursday, he spent a lot of the game engaging without being overly aggressive, especially on running downs. For most of the game, Wilson consistently handled Taylor. However, on this play, Taylor got his hand down on the ground and went into full-on pass-rush mode to get after quarterback Jake Fromm."

(Athletic article with pictures)

https://theathletic.com/1773756/2020/04 ... er-the-qb/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/darr ... Q0Eoidn69s

"Productivity was not an issue for Taylor in his four years at school, as he produced 118 tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, and 19.5 sacks in 38 games. He deploys a strong combination of pass rushing moves including swim moves, spin moves, bull rushing, and just flat out speeding past offensive tackles.

Taylor fits the bill of a “freak” athlete who is naturally strong and put on about 10 pounds between his junior and senior seasons without losing athleticism or speed. He explodes off the line of scrimmage, whether he is being used as a stand-up linebacker or having his hand on the turf as a defensive end.

The Volunteers even used Taylor in coverage occasionally"

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... ell-taylor

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a great article with several pages to click through, but well worth it.

Darrell Taylor: The sleeper EDGE of the 2020 NFL Draft

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/12/29 ... eper-edge/

Darrell Taylor says his experience of playing strongside linebacker at Tennessee is helping now in his position change from defensive end with the Seahawks.

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 31203.html

This page has more of the same on Darrell Taylor, but links to stories about other rookies at the bottom of the page

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/da ... e-minicamp
|

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I really hope Taylor is the real deal. He seemed to be working hard to get back. We need this as a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elemas

Reaction score
Definitely excited about this. Our defense was already clicking last year.

Ready to see Blair back as well.

Not to derail….any clue as to what’s up with KJ?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Spohawks":342ebbmd said:

Great news about D. Taylor. If there is a good to great pass rush from the front seven, the CB issue would resolve itself or would be less apparent. It’s when QB has time throw it becomes a glaring issue. See Bucs or the Giants....they don’t have a prolific secondary but they do have a good to great pass rush.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Elemas":t5dwi3tq said:

Starting to think he isn't coming back. While he did play amazingly well, the bear front is really better served by a SAM who provides more of a pass rushing threat.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3o598o8d said:
Elemas":3o598o8d said:

Starting to think he isn't coming back. While he did play amazingly well, the bear front is really better served by a SAM who provides more of a pass rushing threat.

I’m thinking this as well.

Hanjag

Reaction score
Taylor breaking out to an all-pro level player would be huge. I think playing basically a 5-2 is really aggressive D. But, I think Seattle has the personnel package to pull it off. Taylor, Dunlap, Mayowa, Aldon Smith, Robinson provide high-level play and a good rotation. The DTs Ford, Adams, LJ, Greene, NKemdiche
I like it!
Wagner and Brooks are fast and with 3 Edge guys applying pressure?

The DBs we picked up High potential Witherspoon, we picked up Tre Brown to develop, DJ Read is a player as is.

I think it was a Kurt Warner Eval of the Hawks where he was harping on " Seattle cover-3". The 1 high playing safety and two corners dropping deep, Linebackers and 2nd safety dropping into quarters underneath zone, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I also heard I bit from one of the 710 ESPN guys talking about how important it would be for Taylor to cover at least a little bit.

The one thing I am a little bit reluctant about is that Pete seems pretty set in playing coverage. I guess we will see how it develops. Injuries, etc.