Off-season talk : what's up with Tre Flowers

toffee

Reaction score
He had a promising rookie season having to start with no CB experience, from there opposing OCs that game planned on his weaknesses?

Was it speed, quickness, skill or confidence? He looked the Seahawks CB look, seems to be real good guy with a cute daughter. He was my adopted rookie.

40 Yard Dash: 4.45 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 18.38 (MPH)
20 Yard Split: 2.58 seconds
10 Yard Split: 1.53 seconds
Vertical Leap: 34.5 inches
Broad Jump: 122 inches
Bench Press: 18 reps (225 lb)
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.34 seconds
Three Cone: 7.17 seconds

I am hoping he overcome his confidence issue and find that extra gear.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the acquisition of Witherspoon and drafting of Brown should tell us that Pete's done with Flowers as a viable starter.

Also these are signals that Pete and John are moving away making a philosophical shift away from the tall rangy CB's like Flowers, and want quickness, mobility and tenacity.

Flowers has the experience to be a good backup, but again I don't think he's every going to be a starter again. Not without serious injuries or total failure of these other guys.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2674cw9d said:
I think the acquisition of Witherspoon and drafting of Brown should tell us that Pete's done with Flowers as a viable starter.

Also these are signals that Pete and John are moving away making a philosophical shift away from the tall rangy CB's like Flowers, and want quickness, mobility and tenacity.

Flowers has the experience to be a good backup, but again I don't think he's every going to be a starter again. Not without serious injuries or total failure of these other guys.
More like they are giving up on Flowers, that also bring up the point that we really haven't draft defense stars in the recent drafts since '16.

Guys haven't flash much Collier, Brook, Flowers, BKK, and Green.

Guys flashed a bit Alton, Blair, Amadi, Jacob Martin, Jarran Reed, Quintin Jefferson.

Stars? None may be Poona Ford?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":1bhsbyrt said:
Sgt. Largent":1bhsbyrt said:

More like they are giving up on Flowers, that also bring up the point that we really haven't draft defense stars in the recent drafts since '16.

Guys haven't flash much Collier, Brook, Flowers, BKK, and Green.

Guys flashed a bit Alton, Blair, Amadi, Jacob Martin, Jarran Reed, Quintin Jefferson.

Stars? None may be Poona Ford?

We've definitely struggled to re-stock the defense with great players, which has probably facilitated Pete finally moving away from some of his core philosophical personnel traits like the tall CB's.

The game's changed, and when the game changes you have to change as well. So IMO that's the biggest factor here, not the draft picks, the TYPE of players we were drafting didn't fit the current state or speed of the game.

Can Pete and John recapture some of that? Idk, guys like Brooks, Blair and hopefully Robinson might give us some hope they can.

But it seems like we've been asking this question for too many years now. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

xray

Reaction score
No opponents have been afraid of throwing the ball against the Hawks for several seasons .

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
xray":2kzjqdjc said:
No opponents have been afraid of throwing the ball against the Hawks for several seasons .
Hopefully with better pass rush, our DBs can perform better. If a QB can sit back all day, they will complete a pass to someone.

xray

Reaction score
It's always been the trenches that win championships in my world . In this last SB , Brady had the best lines , both sides of the ball .

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z7dt8qb said:

We went big and physical initially and the league changed the rules, teams are using a lot of quick receivers now, the bane of lengthy CB's.

So you shift and counter with a smaller versatile type CB and more D line pressure.

I think that's where we are headed, things shift about every 5 to 10 years for schemes and player types, the league caught up to Pete now Pete needs to counter.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1lhkbo77 said:
Sgt. Largent":1lhkbo77 said:

We went big and physical initially and the league changed the rules, teams are using a lot of quick receivers now, the bane of lengthy CB's.

So you shift nd counter with a smaller versatile type CB and more D line pressure.

I think thats where we are headed, things sift about every 5 to 10 years fior schemes and player types, the legaue caught up to Pete now Pete needs to counter.

and he is adapting

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Flowers has been made into the whipping boy for many without recognizing holes elsewhere allowing. Of course times of lapse, Davante Adams ripped him..along with everyone else in the league. Played CB for 2 years, I think has huge role capability still. Minus one catch and run held D Hop to 59 yards. Not a lockdown but I don’t think he deserves all trash that is bestowed upon him. Flyer on Witherspoon, if healthy yes he could take place but I don’t see it. Desir is camp fodder, nothing more. Brown isn’t starting his first year, if he comes out and takes and kills it all the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":1vw41zej said:
Flowers has been made into the whipping boy for many without recognizing holes elsewhere allowing. Of course times of lapse, Davante Adams ripped him..along with everyone else in the league. Played CB for 2 years, I think has huge role capability still. Minus one catch and run held D Hop to 59 yards. Not a lockdown but I don’t think he deserves all trash that is bestowed upon him. Flyer on Witherspoon, if healthy yes he could take place but I don’t see it. Desir is camp fodder, nothing more. Brown isn’t starting his first year, if he comes out and takes and kills it all the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you on flowers. He has had some solid games. Doesnt allow the long ball and doesnt get any credit for stuff he has done. Some one even said he cant play press. Which is BS!

I dont know why anybody is high on witherspoon. He needs to prove. Only games he has played have been when some one is injured. He wasnt declared a starter or put ahead of anybody if they werent injured. The games he did play 3 or 4 seasons in...werent great either. We will see.

Desir is more than a camp fodder. He had a few solid seasons for the colts. Had 3 picks last year for jets.

My money is on Desir and reed starting. Flowers if they fall out. Brown as well, but I think he will back up Blair for nickel, unless he proves out of the gate he is a dog and just takes the position from someone.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Flowers is definitely "on the bubble" going into training camp.

The measurables you listed should equal more production than what we're seeing. Receivers just torch the guy east and west. He doesn't necessarily get beat deep, but side to side he tends to be slow in turning his hips and keeping up with the receiver.

It's unfortunate, after his rookie year I thought he was the next Sherm. Hopefully he steps up and performs this season.
Maybe it wouldn't hurt sliding him back to safety for depth?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3vx3m72u said:
Flowers is definitely "on the bubble" going into training camp.

The measurables you listed should equal more production than what we're seeing. Receivers just torch the guy east and west. He doesn't necessarily get beat deep, but side to side he tends to be slow in turning his hips and keeping up with the receiver.

It's unfortunate, after his rookie year I thought he was the next Sherm. Hopefully he steps up and performs this season.
Maybe it wouldn't hurt sliding him back to safety for depth?
I felt the same way after his rookie season, somehow he took a big step back instead of forward. Poor coaching?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Flowers gets so much hate compared to shaq. It was awful to watch. I hope he does better