Excitement around the Waldron offense

keasley45

Reaction score
Nice article in the athletic about the early returns on the Shane Waldron offense. For everyone who was clamoring for more uptempo, flexibility, adaptability, etc it seems as though we are going to get it.

Nice commentary from Russ, DK, Tyler and the crew about their experiences to date running the new scheme. In short, all good - not least of all the observation that this year, Russ might be playing behind the best offensive line he's had in his career.

https://theathletic.com/2656681/2021/06 ... directed=1

And if you aren't a subscriber, I just got a notification as I posted this NFL.com has a new piece on the hawks offense as well.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
They are saying all the right things about the offense being more modern and having more route options. We can only hope it translates on the field and keeps defenses guessing.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Superbowl!!!!!!!!!!

Russ beats Brady in the NFCCG in front of a rocking home crowd.

Hawks win SB Handedly

Russ Signs extension.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm super excited to see this new offense.

From what I've read and heard from the players - uptempo, sophisticated, intricate, complicated, keeping defenses on their heels, any player can line up at any position, unpredictable, taking what the defense gives, making sure the defense can't just take out any one player, utilizing TEs in the passing game, utilizing the entire field, but still taking deep shots, balanced attack, etc.

It all sounds good. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like a route tree that give WR's reads and then options to adjust on the fly. Wilson will need to read and see the same thing the receivers do and throw them open and to a spot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true, hope I’m dead wrong about that. Pete needs to keep himself from meddling in the offense. Odds of that happening are long.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am either cautiously optimistic or pessimistically hopeful on this one.

Zero chance it will be as good as the 1st half last year, but if we can make it effective in the 2nd half of this coming season...everyone will be excited.

That last 1/4 of the season is always the issue.

Fingers crossed.

Own The West

Reaction score
The Atlantic article is paywalled, but I read this one earlier. Lots of great stuff in here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...ks-offense-very-different-under-shane-waldron

"Truth be told, the explosives part of it is not going to change. It's just the fact we're gonna learn how to be a lot more balanced to where whatever teams give us, that's what we're gonna take," Lockett said. "Teams decide to play us deep, then we're gonna take everything short and we're gonna be able to run our offense all the way down the field and control the clock. Teams try to take away the short stuff, we're gonna go deep."

Own The West

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1n31aqbb said:
Sounds too good to be true, hope I’m dead wrong about that. Pete needs to keep himself from meddling in the offense. Odds of that happening are long.

Odds of that happening are zero. Pete has never called plays. You're safe! :2thumbs:

John63

Reaction score
Own The West":2sh1zy0u said:
Sports Hernia":2sh1zy0u said:

Odds of that happening are zero. Pete has never called plays. You're safe! :2thumbs:

LOl yeah that's not true at all PC has admitted to changing the plays he did it last year.

toffee

Reaction score
Own The West":3jz3lp1e said:
Sports Hernia":3jz3lp1e said:

omg, Pete haters and Russell homers are going to have a field day from your statement.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Own The West":3m3mez3v said:

Umm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The offense shouldn’t be a problem when you have a veteran Pro Bowler QB and pro bowler receivers and a good running back.

The real issue will continue to be the offensive line and the defense.

This will make or break the season.

They also have to “sell” the offense cause offense sells “tickets” but in this case, TV viewership.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Own The West":3lc1fw6o said:
The Atlantic article is paywalled, but I read this one earlier. Lots of great stuff in here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...ks-offense-very-different-under-shane-waldron

"Truth be told, the explosives part of it is not going to change. It's just the fact we're gonna learn how to be a lot more balanced to where whatever teams give us, that's what we're gonna take," Lockett said. "Teams decide to play us deep, then we're gonna take everything short and we're gonna be able to run our offense all the way down the field and control the clock. Teams try to take away the short stuff, we're gonna go deep."

Santa Maria!

This is all I ever wanted.

This would be so great to watch. It would help the defense too.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I haven't even been intrigued by what to expect from a Seahawks offense in a long time.

It's kind of nice to feel some cautious optimism that they won't be running something that wholly looks straight out of 1982.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Own The West":24hb055i said:
Sports Hernia":24hb055i said:

We will have to agree to disagree. He admitted last year he meddled after the game where Russ threw some damaging interceptions.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":i5p1x5ct said:
Own The West":i5p1x5ct said:
Sports Hernia":i5p1x5ct said:

We will have to agree to disagree. He admitted last year he meddled after the game where Russ threw some damaging interceptions.

I don't think he actually calls the plays though. He admitted that he vetoed a Shotty play call on 4th and 1. More of an exception, I would imagine, than the norm some people think it to be.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":2u03vbes said:
Sports Hernia":2u03vbes said:
Own The West":2u03vbes said:
Sports Hernia":2u03vbes said:

I don't think he actually calls the plays though. He admitted that he vetoed a Shotty play call on 4th and 1. More of an exception, I would imagine, than the norm some people think it to be.

there is more than just calling plays to were you can interfere in an offense. For example no more throwing on first down, he did that a few years ago. His stamp has been on the offense scheme at some point every year, and is some cases in a big way. He needs so just stay out of it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
John63":3ihdnck5 said:
hoxrox":3ihdnck5 said:
Sports Hernia":3ihdnck5 said:
Own The West":3ihdnck5 said:

there is more than just calling plays to were you can interfere in an offense. For example no more throwing on first down, he did that a few years ago. His stamp has been on the offense scheme at some point every year, and is some cases in a big way. He needs so just stay out of it.

I remember the run, run, pass on empty sets, then punt, days. But are you sure Pete mandated this? Do you have sources and links to back this up?

Even if he did mandate this, it's all irrelevant at this point. This new SW offense HAS to be different. Pete is no fool. He knows he must innovate or die, if he wants to remain competitive in this league. Shotty wasn't all horrible, and did some good things, but keeping Shotty around meant the offense reached its ceiling. It meant his QB reached his ceiling in that offense.

Now Pete is betting on a rookie OC to take them to the next level. This is a huge gamble - the offense could turn out great, or there is a chance it might not work. It's really going to come down to how well Russ and the rest of the offense has command of it.