Which position is our weakest ?

massari

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1kbblg6i said:
massari":1kbblg6i said:
chris98251":1kbblg6i said:
If there is a position I think it is LB, depth and experience being the issues.
That could be fixed signing KJ (2.5m) and Irvin (1.5m).

Irvin retired
Nope
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/1392668037464068099[/tweet]

Tical21

Reaction score
Center and DT have the least talent, but QB is the position which must improve the most for us to make any noise in the playoffs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
3 Tech. Plain and Simple.

Hence my call to sign Geno Atkins. Another one of those "His measurements aren't good, he doesn't fit the mold, arms are too short" players that tore it up at the East West Shrine game only to fall to the 3rd round.

Now, years later after several All Pro seasons, he's still available. He was injured last year, but is good to go now, and is buddies with Carlos Dunlap!

Why isn't he signed? If we sign him, I predict 8.5 sacks, 15 QB hits, 12 TFL on a part time playing basis.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":35egxsj1 said:
Ford, Woods, Mone, Nkemdiche all have played well in their careers,
Forgive my ignorance, but when did Nkemdiche play well?

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":3gquvkut said:
We have vets at CB, just not guys that are superstars, they are mostly young and some high picks, not really worried there, I never listen to the Mediots either, they only know household name players mostly for click bait.

Who was a high pick? I'm looking at the depth chart and don't see anyone higher than a 3rd. But I guess I'm just an idiot who falls for click bait.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":udeqp7vt said:
chris98251":udeqp7vt said:
We have vets at CB, just not guys that are superstars, they are mostly young and some high picks, not really worried there, I never listen to the Mediots either, they only know household name players mostly for click bait.

Who was a high pick? I'm looking at the depth chart and don't see anyone higher than a 3rd. But I guess I'm just an idiot who falls for click bait.

Nkemdiche

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
massari":296o51yw said:
pittpnthrs":296o51yw said:
massari":296o51yw said:
chris98251":296o51yw said:
If there is a position I think it is LB, depth and experience being the issues.
That could be fixed signing KJ (2.5m) and Irvin (1.5m).

Irvin retired
Nope
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/1392668037464068099[/tweet]

My bad. He needs to.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":tloplceh said:
Rat":tloplceh said:
chris98251":tloplceh said:

Nkemdiche

He's not a CB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":1frexbk2 said:
3 Tech. Plain and Simple.

Hence my call to sign Geno Atkins. Another one of those "His measurements aren't good, he doesn't fit the mold, arms are too short" players that tore it up at the East West Shrine game only to fall to the 3rd round.

Now, years later after several All Pro seasons, he's still available. He was injured last year, but is good to go now, and is buddies with Carlos Dunlap!

Why isn't he signed? If we sign him, I predict 8.5 sacks, 15 QB hits, 12 TFL on a part time playing basis.

Hawks will definitely kick the tires on Atkins, especially with the Dunlap relationship.

I don't think it's strange that he hasn't signed yet, he like most veterans know once camp and pre-season starts injuries will give them more leverage on their one year contracts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":1p40297o said:
chris98251":1p40297o said:
Rat":1p40297o said:
chris98251":1p40297o said:

Nkemdiche

He's not a CB.

Crossed up reference, still anything 3rd round or higher is considered a higher round pick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Don't overlook Bryan Mills, our UDFA CB from NC Central who was only available because his team didn't play any games in 2020 due to Covid. He has great length (6'1" with 32" arms), is very physical in press coverage and has a good attitude. Most of his weaknesses come down to playing at a small school and needing to be coached up on technique, but he's exactly the kind of developmental prospect that the team has done well with.

We're much better off with a handful of guys like Mills competing over a spot than we are depending on an expensive aging FA who is past their prime to stay healthy.

toffee

Reaction score
AgentDib":fz4fio55 said:
We're much better off with a handful of guys like Mills competing over a spot than we are depending on an expensive aging FA who is past their prime to stay healthy.

I think Pete Carroll agrees with ya.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":2v1oxcx9 said:
AgentDib":2v1oxcx9 said:

Who were Sherman Browner and Kam before they showed up on the field and made their statements?

Only one anyone had any real understanding of was Earl, and he was too small but fast and was probably looked at as a CB.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":2w2atnzk said:
toffee":2w2atnzk said:
AgentDib":2w2atnzk said:

Who were Sherman Browner and Kam before they showed up on the field and made their statements?

Only one anyone had any real understanding of was Earl, and he was too small but fast and was probably looked at as a CB.

Sometimes we wonder if Pete has lost his touch? He hasn't produced too many defense stars in the past few years, before that anything he touched turned gold.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3c503z7t said:
chris98251":3c503z7t said:
toffee":3c503z7t said:
AgentDib":3c503z7t said:

Sometimes we wonder if Pete has lost his touch? He hasn't produced too many defense stars in the past few years, before that anything he touched turned gold.

Tony Dungy had the Tampa two and it was a lock down defense for a while also, it was countered, the league has evolved, players that Pete took were exceptions when he took them, now they are the norm, his scheme is known, to beat it be patient, take the underneath stuff basically a Bill Walsh WCO and get YAC and have a decent running game with pass catching backs.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3vz29vto said:
toffee":3vz29vto said:
chris98251":3vz29vto said:
toffee":3vz29vto said:

Tony Dungy had the Tampa two and it was a lock down defense for a while also, it was countered, the league has evolved, players that Pete took were exceptions when he took them, now they are the norm, his scheme is known, to beat it be patient, take the underneath stuff basically a Bill Walsh WCO and get YAC and have a decent running game with pass catching backs.
I don't think the vulnerability underneath was indicative of figuring out the defense so much as the decline of Kam Chancellor. With Kam, the middle was just as vulnerable, but also likely to get someone blown up, not infrequently resulting in a turnover. It's hard for a receiver to extend for a pass knowing Kam is lining him up, so that contributed to incompletions as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":2ox2mxhz said:

Talent and personnel certainly is a part of this equation, but so is the rest of the league figuring out how to crack Pete's cover 3 defense.

That's the NFL, whatever new flavor there is on both sides of the ball (Tampa 2, west coast, run and shoot, Air Coryell, No huddle Greatest Show on Turf, etc.) All variations of other offenses and defenses that came before through their coaching trees.

Eventually the smart guys on the other side of the ball figure out how to counteract it.

So IMO if we're parsing as to why Pete's defensive effectiveness has diminished, #1 is probably talent, but 1A or 2 is his stubbornness to change his defensive and offensive philosophies. It seems like he finally is with the hiring of Waldron and changing up the personnel on his defense to smaller quicker twitch CB's, LB's and a more versatile D-line.

We'll see if it was too little too late.

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":tt32oie6 said:
chris98251":tt32oie6 said:
toffee":tt32oie6 said:
chris98251":tt32oie6 said:

I don't think the vulnerability underneath was indicative of figuring out the defense so much as the decline of Kam Chancellor. With Kam, the middle was just as vulnerable, but also likely to get someone blown up, not infrequently resulting in a turnover. It's hard for a receiver to extend for a pass knowing Kam is lining him up, so that contributed to incompletions as well.

Where that is true as well, same could be said For Easley, Atwater, Lott, players that if you went there you upped your life insurance policy first.

Which brings to question why have we not looked for another Hybrid SS / LB Thumper if it was just about right type of players.