Greg Olsen reveals that Pete handcuffed Wilson last year

hoxrox

Reaction score
Scorpion05":i9cxea1k said:
From a purely football perspective you're absolutely right. Coaches do coaching things. But I think this conversation is revealing that Pete, and frankly some of us fans, do not see Russ as being in that category. I think there was real anger from Russ and his camp in the offseason, despite attempts to downplay the drama. Hence why he suggested possible trade destinations. If Russ has a bad game or two this year, will he get the same flexibility that other great QBs have gotten when they have high turnovers?

Without a doubt, Russ is a HOF type of QB over the course of his career.

But 10 turnovers over 4 games wasn't sustainable if they wanted to make the postseason.

It wasn't "just 1 or 2 bad games" as some fans want to sugar coat. At that point in time, Russ wasn't an elite QB. He was a liability.

And the HC would have been negligent in his role and responsibilities, had he sat back and did nothing.

BASF

Reaction score
Pitt and Scorpion, what are either of you talking about. Pete literally admitted in one if his press conferences last season that he was doing exactly what both of you are accusing him of and apparently don't believe that posters here know it.

Here is the deal, the head coach made the decision to rein in his QB that was costing the team games. How the hell is that a bad thing?

The way both of you are posting, Russell Wilson's stats matter to you more than wins.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
BASF":2rgi9yz6 said:
It is funny that you bring this up because the truth is that no fan base would actually know if their coaches tried to rein in the throwing except for Tampa and N.O. fans. The truth is that none of the people outside of those markets watch enough of their games to make such a definitive statement. Also, the truth is that neither of them have the arm Wilson does and try to force throws as he did during the stretch last year that we finally faced some decent defenses and Wilson got exposed.

This is objectively wrong. Football analysts like Greg Cosell have talked about how basic and conservative our scheme and offense is despite having a QB like Wilson. And yes...some of us actually do watch out of market games, because not all of us live in Seattle. I've lived in 3 cities within the last 6 years. I also used to subscribe to NFL Gamepass because I genuinely loved analyzing QBs and defenses. Others do too.

Even if you don't have the time to watch every single game...we can all understand context. Drew Brees had 17 interceptions in 2014, and 15 in 2016. We're not even counting fumbles. Brees still threw for almost 5000 yards each season. Sean Payton did not handcuff Brees. We can go through different examples, but Wilson was no more exposed than any of those QBs. What Pete did was VERY abnormal. That's okay, he's still my favorite coach, I still think he's great in other ways. I will be sad when he's gone.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
BASF":3ujp4md3 said:
Pitt and Scorpion, what are either of you talking about. Pete literally admitted in one if his press conferences last season that he was doing exactly what both of you are accusing him of and apparently don't believe that posters here know it.

Here is the deal, the head coach made the decision to rein in his QB that was costing the team games. How the hell is that a bad thing?

The way both of you are posting, Russell Wilson's stats matter to you more than wins.

Even after that press conference there was denial. That's all I'm saying. I don't think most people accepted that Pete chose to rein in his QB. It was always as simple as "Russ cooled off" and not "Pete played a notable role in cooling Russ off and dramatically scaling back the playcalling."

It was obvious to me but I think Greg Olsen is the first person to confirm it, outside of one line or two from Pete

BASF

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1kwmzh02 said:
BASF":1kwmzh02 said:
It is funny that you bring this up because the truth is that no fan base would actually know if their coaches tried to rein in the throwing except for Tampa and N.O. fans. The truth is that none of the people outside of those markets watch enough of their games to make such a definitive statement. Also, the truth is that neither of them have the arm Wilson does and try to force throws as he did during the stretch last year that we finally faced some decent defenses and Wilson got exposed.

This is objectively wrong. Football analysts like Greg Cosell have talked about how basic and conservative our scheme and offense is despite having a QB like Wilson. And yes...some of us actually do watch out of market games, because not all of us live in Seattle. I've lived in 3 cities within the last 6 years. I also used to subscribe to NFL Gamepass because I genuinely loved analyzing QBs and defenses. Others do too.

Even if you don't have the time to watch every single game...we can all understand context. Drew Brees had 17 interceptions in 2014, and 15 in 2016. We're not even counting fumbles. Brees still threw for almost 5000 yards each season. Sean Payton did not handcuff Brees. We can go through different examples, but Wilson was no more exposed than any of those QBs. What Pete did was VERY abnormal. That's okay, he's still my favorite coach, I still think he's great in other ways. I will be sad when he's gone.

Of course the system has been basic and conservative. That is the way we have won from the time Carroll was hired whether it was Jackson, Hasselbeck or Wilson. What so many are complaining about adds up to, we want better stats for our QB, whether it costs the team games or not.

As far as out of market games go, of course a lot of us watch out of market games, but my point is that unless you are watching a team week in and week out (if you are going to tell me that you watched all of Tampa's games last season and all of New Orleans from the seasons you mentioned, I will die laughing) it is not possible to know. There is no way any person who is not watching a team week to week will know if the head coach eliminated plays (which is what many of the posters here claim) from the playbook to keep their QB from costing them games. Some here have even claimed that Pete told Wilson specifically not to throw to receivers over the middle and short intermediate areas.

keasley45

Reaction score
If I were the coach of the Seahawks after Russell's turnover tantrum around week 5 last year, I would have changed the strategy as well. It seems as though folks around here just want a stats guy, wins aside, come helll or high water. Russ didn't have to throw the pick against Minnesota last year. He didn't have to throw the pick that lost our first game against Arizona last year. Or the one earlier in the game that cost us at least 3 points. He didn't have to throw the picks against Buffalo. He didn't have to lay an egg against the Giants in what was by my account his worst game as a seahawk. He also didn't need to throw the pick 6 against the Rams in the playoffs.In that game, the the loss to Arizona, the narrow win against the vikings, the loss to the Bills and Giants. That poor play by Wilson was unforced. It was just bad QB play and it cost us.

All of the Russ supporters seem to gloss over Russels own admission thatvlst year he pushed the ball too much, forgoing the short yards for the long ball. His words. You could see it in his play. Andnyet all those plays where he didn't go short and instead held the ball waiting for something deep to break and ended up with a scramble sack... those get lumped I to Pete's court because he's forcing russ to not throw, or the o-lines fault.

Our offense over the second half was not atrocious. We finished balanced, and lost because we got twisted in between trying to run more and not passing effectively when we wanted to. That's a fact. We ran far better in our playoff loss than we passed, and inexplicably continued to try to force a passing attack thatb finshed the day 11-27 with a pick 6. That wasn't Pete. It was a combination of stubborn habits from russ, and a game plan that didn't know what it wanted to do.

Truth is, we can't place the blame at anyone's feet entirely. Pete's mantra of running hard and playing strong defense is proven. I agree that he did hold to it far longer than he should have after the vaunted defense of old had waned and we couldn't hold opposing teams in check anymore. The worst example was probably the loss to dallas in the playoffs a few years back.

But that doesn't account for all of the team's offensive struggles. It certainly didn't last year. And if the offense struggles again this year, with a new coordinator, and by all accounts a more creative one, it likely won't be the cause.

Pete refuses to lose by self inflicted wounds. We won last year because overbthe first half, our qb saved us. And over the second half we found more balance to where our team didn't need saving.

We lost a few last year because our D was inadequate, and our qb, who was a hero over the first few weeks, began contributing unnecessarily to our woes. Andnwhen I say unnecessarily I mean careless throws that resulted in turnovers that you wouldn't expect from a qb with even a few games under his belt. I can't fault Pete from dialing that back.

We will see this year why we went from 100 to 30 instead of landing at 70 in terms of offensive passing aggression and effectiveness last year. It didn't have to be that way. And hopefully if the same issues arise again this year, we will have the experience to overcome them. And frankly, I could give 2 turds whether we toss our way out of it on the strength of Russ's arm, pound our way out of it behind Carson's pads, or punish opposing offenses out if it on D. We just need to figure it out.

keasley45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":368yey7o said:
BASF":368yey7o said:

I can't recall Brees making the kind of unforced errors that Russ did last year or anytime that he threw 10 picks over 3 games.

Nor can I ever remember Russ dissecting a defense with expert timing and pinpoint precision the way Brees, Rogers or Brady do. Andnit fine that he doesn't do that because he's a different qb. But that's just it. What works in KC or NO or GB or TB is different than what works here. The qbs forntbise teams are different, each of them. Unique in their own way.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2xgsxxax said:
BASF":2xgsxxax said:

They should have emulated those Super Bowl winning Saints te-

Oh, oh wait.

misfit

Reaction score
keasley45":2yviyhbc said:
Scorpion05":2yviyhbc said:
BASF":2yviyhbc said:

I can't recall Brees making the kind of unforced errors that Russ did last year or anytime that he threw 10 picks over 3 games.

Nor can I ever remember Russ dissecting a defense with expert timing and pinpoint precision the way Brees, Rogers or Brady do. Andnit fine that he doesn't do that because he's a different qb. But that's just it. What works in KC or NO or GB or TB is different than what works here. The qbs forntbise teams are different, each of them. Unique in their own way.

Put Russ w Sean Payton and you will see a difference

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BASF":uufydzfc said:

Because he never took the reins off and it cost the team post season success as usual.

Jville

Reaction score
BASF":3ixbgktp said:

Indeed, Pete and Russell have both owned up to their mistakes over the years. Statistics, gossip and selective hearing can blind forum fans from seeing clearly the subject player or coach. There is a distinct separation between subjects of interest and the alleged image others saddle them with.

The loss of Trevor Moawad was addressed by both Pete and Russell. But there has been nothing posted in the forum that I have run across that addresses or even mentions such a profound loss going into Sunday's game. To me, that speaks loudly about fan disconnect.

Forums all to often drown in hypothetical inferences and chaotic gotcha distractions.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1438663831572549639[/tweet]
1B310x54

Russell Wilson Remembers Friend & Mental-Conditioning Coach Trevor Moawad >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/russell-wilson-remembers-friend-mental-conditioning-coach-trevor-moawad[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thenewstribune/status/1439024145417871368[/tweet]

themunn

Reaction score
The only game we lost in the regular season after Russ was handcuffed was the game where he threw the most attempts.

Sounds like Pete got it right to me

BASF

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1h3qb8pw said:
BASF":1h3qb8pw said:

Because he never took the reins off and it cost the team post season success as usual.

If that is your takeaway from watching that playoff game I won't bother engaging with you regarding this subject again. The reins were taken off for the playoff game. As I have stated, the personnel decisions on the offensive line that day is what ruined that game plan. Peace out.

hoxrox

Reaction score
misfit":1jftd0op said:
Put Russ w Sean Payton and you will see a difference

That's good, but Sean Payton is an offensive-minded coach. They are going to score their touch downs and get their yards. They are even going to go for it on 4th down from time to time. And they use players like Sproles and Kamara effectively.

But generally Payton's defenses has not been good over the years and has cost them playoff games. So there's a trade off.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I still think the problem was Schotty and that’s been fixed. Schotty had no answer for 2 deep safeties in his rudimentary passing game. The Waldron offense will have crossing patterns and TE passes to attack that space between safeties and LBs. The Waldron offense will also have a balanced attack to keep Pete happy.

Russ can cook and Pete can have balance. You just need a better offensive scheme. And the Rams scheme has made crap QBs look good so imagine how it will work with good QBs. There’s a reason the Rams traded for Stanford and looked frighteningly good. Rams-Hawks are going to be heavy weight tilts this year.

Own The West

Reaction score
I wish they had asked Olsen in the interview how Russ responded to the increased Cover 2 we started seeing starting with the Bills game. Did he adapt and start taking the underneath stuff? From my couch it didn't look like it. When Olsen says, 'handcuffs', does that mean they forbade him to throw the ball down field or started emphasizing the short/quick Cover-2 beaters? My expectation is that it would be the latter.

Another thing I'd point out is that we used the same offense to beat the Rams 20-9 two weeks before our 20-30 playoff loss. The difference was 21 additional points were given up by our defense, not the offense, although Russ did throw a pick in the finale.

Fade

Reaction score
It's so weird to me when people bring up Wilson's interception stretch in the middle of the year. They fail to mention what was going on, ie context.

The Seahawks were the worst defense in NFL history at that point. Wilson began to press feeling like he had to score every possession.

Pete pulled the plug and shut everything down, to help his defense more than anything.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Own The West":285b9yub said:
I wish they had asked Olsen in the interview how Russ responded to the increased Cover 2 we started seeing starting with the Bills game. Did he adapt and start taking the underneath stuff? From my couch it didn't look like it. When Olsen says, 'handcuffs', does that mean they forbade him to throw the ball down field or started emphasizing the short/quick Cover-2 beaters? My expectation is that it would be the latter.

Another thing I'd point out is that we used the same offense to beat the Rams 20-9 two weeks before our 20-30 playoff loss. The difference was 21 additional points were given up by our defense, not the offense, although Russ did throw a pick in the finale.

The point of the Wiley's interview with Olson wasn't to focus on last year, although Olson may have initially thought so. Wiley had Olsen on to explain last year but quickly countered that Wilson has choked every year, for some time, in the second half of the seasons. That is why he's never been MVP, nor will he ever be, according to Wiley.
Watch the entire segment. It was an ambush interview by Wiley. Then Wiley proceeds to denigrate RW for being a "hypocrite", pretending he's all Mr. Nice guy, then, according to Wiley, throws his OLine under the bus.

Own The West

Reaction score
TreeRon":1763r6o2 said:
Own The West":1763r6o2 said:

The point of the Wiley's interview with Olson wasn't to focus on last year, although Olson may have initially thought so. Wiley had Olsen on to explain last year but quickly countered that Wilson has choked every year, for some time, in the second half of the seasons. That is why he's never been MVP, nor will he ever be, according to Wiley.
Watch the entire segment. It was an ambush interview by Wiley. Then Wiley proceeds to denigrate RW for being a "hypocrite", pretending he's all Mr. Nice guy, then, according to Wiley, throws his OLine under the bus.

I don't pay much mind to Wiley or any of the pundits for that matter. They are on TV to sell advertising or subscriptions. Controversy, unsupported opinion, and just plain trolling get clicks and eyeballs.

Olsen's comments were the only interesting part of that interview, what would be considered a primary source. I was disappointed but not surprised that they only asked him to talk so they could opine on his response.

Latest posts