Schneider, make a move, get a CB

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1gwdrbxm said:
I don't have any confidence that our secondary will be successful until we give up this idiotic obsession with limiting the big play at the expense of all else. It worked earlier with different personnel, it does not work not, and I don't think our DC is intelligent or gifted enough to maintain this obsession and still keep us competitive..

Again, same schemes Dan Quinn has been running in Dallas all year, and they pounded the Eagles last night, and had a pick six.

Disguise, blitz, stunt......do all the exotic defensive formations and fits you want, if you have guys like Reed and Flowers and a D-line that can't rush the passer. You're going to look like we look.

btw, Reed was decent last year because we had Shaq. Now we're expecting a scrap heap DB to be our #1 cover corner because we're shifting the defense over the Flower's side because of how terrible he is.

That is one thing Pete got right in his presser yesterday, it ALL fits together.......for better or worse.

IMO the answer is start putting in Jones, Brown and the other corners we picked up. The Flowers experiment should have been over two years ago. Enough already.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think we keep Flowers because he LOOKS like the kind of corner that Carroll likes and because he is a willing tackler in run support. Otherwise, I have no idea. He is supposed to be a backup. Using him as a starter is crazy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":12t8se19 said:
I think we keep Flowers because he LOOKS like the kind of corner that Carroll likes and because he is a willing tackler in run support. Otherwise, I have no idea. He is supposed to be a backup. Using him as a starter is crazy.

If he looks like Sherman, then let him get up on the line and press cover like Sherman.

But he's obviously not Sherman, he's a converted safety that has horrific hip turns, instincts and vision. So Pete doesn't let him press at the line over fear of getting beat over the top............so he tells a 6'3 corner with bad hip direction to play 10 yards off the line?

Krule john c reilly

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2m8465ct said:
TwistedHusky":2m8465ct said:
I don't have any confidence that our secondary will be successful until we give up this idiotic obsession with limiting the big play at the expense of all else. It worked earlier with different personnel, it does not work not, and I don't think our DC is intelligent or gifted enough to maintain this obsession and still keep us competitive..

Again, same schemes Dan Quinn has been running in Dallas all year, and they pounded the Eagles last night, and had a pick six.

Disguise, blitz, stunt......do all the exotic defensive formations and fits you want, if you have guys like Reed and Flowers and a D-line that can't rush the passer. You're going to look like we look.

btw, Reed was decent last year because we had Shaq. Now we're expecting a scrap heap DB to be our #1 cover corner because we're shifting the defense over the Flower's side because of how terrible he is.

That is one thing Pete got right in his presser yesterday, it ALL fits together.......for better or worse.

IMO the answer is start putting in Jones, Brown and the other corners we picked up. The Flowers experiment should have been over two years ago. Enough already.

Just for context the Dallas defense has given up 450+ yards all 3 games, the vaunted Rams D allowed the Bears 322, 354 and 446 yards. The Cards gave Minnesota 419 and should’ve lost and then allowed 361 with 159 rush yards to the 0-3 Jags.

Even the top teams are struggling to play a full game of quality defense. The Hawks need to play as a complete unit instead of 11 individuals. Scheme and execution both need to be upgraded. If they can get to slightly above average they can win any game.

Funny how that killer D in the bay got taken to the woodshed with 37 seconds left to lose…and they’re supposed to be way better than he Hawks….

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Yeah watch him pick up a great CB...and then give up another 2-3 first round draft picks, also that CB will be 1 year out from being owed a new contract as well.

This is team is an old rusty leaky boat full of holes, our GM keeps spending half his savings to patch up the biggest holes to keep it semi floating, meanwhile the boat is still slowly sinking. Let the thing sink, keep the savings and acknowledge it's time to buy a new boat.

btw I've been saying blow this thing up since SB 49. Since then I've been told to relax look at X players on the team...well it's almost a decade later and what has this team amounted to since? playoff runs that can't get past the second game and a team that for two years in a row has started as the worst defense in history. I'd love to eat some crow and I'll do it when this team hits another NFCCG (they don't even have to win it), but signs are pointing to that not happening again until a reboot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Welshers":1hwbvwva said:
So the Panthers were in need of a CB and what did they do today? They went and got one from Jacksonville. It's Schneider's job. It's our weakest position. He has to make a move and replace Flowers. This is insane. Everyone can see we need to improve our secondary. So why aren't we doing it? We already mortgaged our future to win now. Get CBs and utilize Adams effectively!!

And this was a good trade by the Panthers? How do you know this?

And We HAVEN'T brought in anybody? Even if John got somebody new today, how long before they're able to play? And which high paid player would you cut to cover the cost?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ivotuk":jullt1a4 said:
Welshers":jullt1a4 said:
So the Panthers were in need of a CB and what did they do today? They went and got one from Jacksonville. It's Schneider's job. It's our weakest position. He has to make a move and replace Flowers. This is insane. Everyone can see we need to improve our secondary. So why aren't we doing it? We already mortgaged our future to win now. Get CBs and utilize Adams effectively!!

And this was a good trade by the Panthers? How do you know this?

And We HAVEN'T brought in anybody? Even if John got somebody new today, how long before they're able to play? And which high paid player would you cut to cover the cost?

The Panthers got CJ Henderson who was underperforming for Jax. So not a big name guy at all.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news...n-trade-how-did-the-jaguars-and-panthers-fare

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They've got a couple of potential answers. Sidney Jones and Bless Austin are two guys who have played at a high level before, and I'm certain they'll be worked in. John Reid is a bit more of a project, but promising. Tre Brown coming off injury.

As far as potential targets - Steven Nelson from the Eagles in a mid-season trade that may involve L.J. Collier, who I suspect they'll try to move. He's really underperforming in Philly. 7 interceptions since 2018 and was a good starter for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh before heading to Philly.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":2qifr1pl said:
hawkfan68":2qifr1pl said:

Press corners by their size.

Hope so. Ryan Neal probably could play corner. He's got the size length.

Here's a thought I had about possibly make some changes to defensive (using player strengths). Maybe move Adams to "Rover" like position in the middle so he's not a liability in coverage but can shadow the QB and stop runs. Maybe use him as LB. Then start Neal at FS. We saw Neal play well while Adams was out last year. Diggs is a SS, Neal is a natural FS/CB so he can cover. Those are some slight adjustments that may make the defense a bit tighter and play to the strengths of the respective players.