Failure of the Running Game is Another Indictment of Pete

Fade

Reaction score
They aren't built to run through Russ. As some on here would have you believe.

The Shanny/McVay system is built on the outside zone running game as the centerpiece, with playaction and the QB booting off of that. They did this week 1, and for whatever reason creeped away from it. It still shows up in spurts, but mostly the offense from week 1 died an inglorious death. Wilson's numbers are phenomenal on playaction for the season, yet they run playaction below league avg. It makes no sense.

If you can't run the ball, it is a total failure from coaching, to front office, to personnel, all the way around. Shanny/McVay offenses struggle when they can't run the ball. Huge red flags should be waving, and sirens should be blaring when they can't produce a running game with this system. Because it produces results in this area where ever it goes.

To be built to run through Russ, you would need to construct the roster and system to something like a New Orleans.
Top 5 O-Line, very strong on the interior. Receiving RB, spread the field, attack the flat, when they overplay attack the seams. As an example of what it would look like if it were built around Wilson properly. But back to the running game.

Pete has failed to build a running game for 6 years, since Marshawn left. Despite making it a key emphasis of his season after season. And the running game right now is about as bad as it's ever been. They just signed old man Adrian Peterson, pathetic.

The running game is just another indictment of Pete Carroll. The team is an absolute mess, just about any area of the team you can point to problems, and these problems never seem to get addressed. They just linger like rotten fruit behind the fridge.

Pete has been systematically turning the Seahawks into the Lions. It's gotten so bad that they're now entering irreparable damage territory. Where the hole is being dug so deep that the new regime is going to need 3 years just to get to .500.

toffee

Reaction score
Agree 100% with fade, Pete Carroll's failure to find the right ingredients to run PeteBall was unthinkable buy it happened. We got a ray of hope when both Carson and Penny were healthy, that didn't last. Could Carson Carlos worked? All the backs they drafted and signed Christine, Lacy, Penny, Homer, Collins, Pope, Dallas, none truly worked out. Carson was the lone exception.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Our answer: AD?

We'll see. <tongue in cheek>

Throwing darts at this point is just sad.

LTH

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":13o6xdr8 said:
Our answer: AD?

We'll see. <tongue in cheek>

Throwing darts at this point is just sad.

I assume you're talking about Adrian Peterson?

I don't see that as a bad signing it's not like they have anything to lose and it's not like they are signing him as a long-term solution or a big contract...they just want to take a look at him and see what he brings. he is probably in for the vet minimum.

using him in a role-playing or situational football could be very interesting with a guy like Peterson. Nobody can deny the guy has amazing talent, he is just at the end of his career... This could be interesting if the coaching staff gets creative and puts him in position to make a big play or get a big first down when you really need it.

Great signing IMO

LTH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So, hmm, Pete was s'pose to pull a ground pounding RB out his a$$?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":rwypv59z said:

The Shanny/McVay system is built on the outside zone running game as the centerpiece, with playaction and the QB booting off of that. They did this week 1, and for whatever reason creeped away from it. It still shows up in spurts, but mostly the offense from week 1 died an inglorious death. Wilson's numbers are phenomenal on playaction for the season, yet they run playaction below league avg. It makes no sense.

If you can't run the ball, it is a total failure from coaching, to front office, to personnel, all the way around. Shanny/McVay offenses struggle when they can't run the ball. Huge red flags should be waving, and sirens should be blaring when they can't produce a running game with this system. Because it produces results in this area where ever it goes.

To be built to run through Russ, you would need to construct the roster and system to something like a New Orleans.
Top 5 O-Line, very strong on the interior. Receiving RB, spread the field, attack the flat, when they overplay attack the seams. As an example of what it would look like if it were built around Wilson properly. But back to the running game.

Pete has failed to build a running game for 6 years, since Marshawn left. Despite making it a key emphasis of his season after season. And the running game right now is about as bad as it's ever been. They just signed old man Adrian Peterson, pathetic.

The running game is just another indictment of Pete Carroll. The team is an absolute mess, just about any area of the team you can point to problems, and these problems never seem to get addressed. They just linger like rotten fruit behind the fridge.

Pete has been systematically turning the Seahawks into the Lions. It's gotten so bad that they're now entering irreparable damage territory. Where the hole is being dug so deep that the new regime is going to need 3 years just to get to .500.

"Failed to build a running game for 6 years"

Fade, in his stupor caused by the trauma of the 2021 Seattle Seahawks, has now seemingly fully wiped the years of 2018 and 2019 from his memory to strengthen his own viewpoints. Excellent development.

2018. Led the league in rushing yards. Literally number 1. Think of it like this: they added up all the rushing yards they got that year, and it was more than any other team. Top 5 YPC.

2019. 4th in yards. 10th in yards per carry.

Again, you've got a point about the rushing game faltering, but why do you feel the need to lie about the past to make it seem like you're somehow more right? It just devalues your point.

LTH

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":khep1kti said:
Fade":khep1kti said:

Fade, in his stupor caused by the trauma of the 2021 Seattle Seahawks, has now seemingly fully wiped the years of 2018 and 2019 from his memory to strengthen his own viewpoints. Excellent development.

2018. Led the league in rushing yards. Literally number 1. Think of it like this: they added up all the rushing yards they got that year, and it was more than any other team. Top 5 YPC.

Again, you've got a point about the rushing game faltering, but why do you feel the need to lie about the past to make it seem like you're somehow more right? It just devalues your point.

Oh my... LOL

I guess that's worth thinking about.

LTH

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
It's about seeing the forest through the trees, my Hawks friends.

The season is over. Sure we want to win every game, but now that its obviously over, the questions are how do keep this team a team, how do we prepare for next season, and how do those on the chopping block save face.

Lots of moving parts will happen here the next several weeks and it will be popcorn chewing moments the entire time.

I love my Hawks but these are going to be very tumultuous times.

Bringing AD in gives a middle finger to our remaining RBs.

My signature is spot on.

Go Hawks.

LTH

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":26vd7rff said:
It's about seeing the forest through the trees, my Hawks friends.

The season is over. Sure we want to win every game, but now that its obviously over, the questions are how do keep this team a team, how do we prepare for next season, and how do those on the chopping block save face.

Lots of moving parts will happen here the next several weeks and it will be popcorn chewing moments the entire time.

I love my Hawks but these are going to be very tumultuous times.

My signature is spot on.

Go Hawks.

Thats NOT the way Carroll is approaching it.. he is one game at a time. Every game is a championship game... This team has not given up yet. It might not seem logical because of your perspective but winning ever game til the end of the season is how they are looking at it. Nobody knows what's going to happen. they are still mathematically alive and even if they were not it wouldn't be different. I sure hope the Niners are not looking past Pete Carroll.

LTH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":1axg3hf1 said:
I

My signature is spot on.

Go Hawks.

Yeah, like the RBs in the stable, have been tearing it up, Penny = Gone....Carson = gone & Russ being our best RB in the last game = his a$$ being slung to the ground...& that isn't a "Middle Finger" to Wilson?
Good RB's BLOCK for their QB's....AP is just a STOP GAP.
Wilson can't put the Offense on his BACK, especially not when the RB's aren't helping to carry the load, his O-Line like a revolving door, allowing Defenses to STROLL UNBLOCKED, and planting him on it.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1n9sdqdc said:
HomerJHawk":1n9sdqdc said:
I

My signature is spot on.

Go Hawks.

Yeah, like the RBs in the stable, have been tearing it up, Penny = Gone....Carson = gone & Russ being our best RB in the last game = his a$$ being slung to the ground...& that isn't a "Middle Finger" to Wilson?
Good RB's BLOCK for their QB's....AP is just a STOP GAP.
Wilson can't put the Offense on his BACK, especially not when the RB's aren't helping to carry the load, his O-Line like a revolving door, allowing Defenses to STROLL UNBLOCKED, and planting him on it.

Yo, I totally get it. We need someone who can carry the rock for a GD 1st down. It does make sense if they use him smartly. I just worry it might F with team chemistry at this point. And that's ALL that matters right now if we want to be able to rebound before NastroFade's 3 years.

LTH

Reaction score
I hope AP does F with the team chemistry... he is a well-respected leader in the NFL... everybody respects AP.. bring in a vet like him could only be helping this team in the locker room during a skid.

LTH

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
The main things that need F with are coaches and QB. Everyone else is playing their part. You start dividing the locker room...that's a recipe for not good things.

I just read AD was signed to the practice squad, which makes sense. I'll tone down my rhetoric a bit since his real game snaps are down the road.

I hope it all works out, I really do.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
LTH":vcdwvs18 said:
Maelstrom787":vcdwvs18 said:
Fade":vcdwvs18 said:

Oh my... LOL

I guess that's worth thinking about.

LTH

While you're thinking about it, play the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song in your head. It makes it even better.

xray

Reaction score
The offense can't be successful in any capacity without a good OL . Everything starts there .

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":32ntgzne said:
The main things that need F with are coaches and QB. Everyone else is playing their part. You start dividing the locker room...that's a recipe for not good things.

I just read AD was signed to the practice squad, which makes sense. I'll tone down my rhetoric a bit since his real game snaps are down the road.

If everyone except the QB and coaches are playing their part, then they are not NFL caliber. OL has been abyssmal all season. DL is supposed to be strong in stopping the run. They haven't done that is several of the games (starting with the second half against the Titans). The leading running back is at 395 yds total for season and they have played 11 games thus far. Seahawk defense is near the bottom of league in total yards, and they are struggling to stop mid-range passes and screens, no consistent pass rush. No everyone is not playing their parts effectively. That's why they are 3-8.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Defense is 6th right now in points allowed so i guess the Pete haters give him no credit for the adjustments made. He fired Flowers started Tre put Reed over on his natural side and changed up the coverages. Even Adams is playing better.
This season is on Waldron Wilson and the Offense. I'm fine with ownership firing Pete if that's the decision but i'm not pounding the table for him to be fired. There isn't a coach out there right now that really gives me alot of hope if he is fired.

I don't think he will be fired either he could resign however it think that's a more likely scenario. Waldron has to go imo he looks completely clueless and in over his head. I'm fine with turning over the coaching staff and GM but the Pete bashing i think is become hyperbolic at this point.

justafan

Reaction score
Actually this is the first year we have struggled to run the ball since the Lacy days. We lack the RBs to be a top run team but Mcvays jock sniffer doesnt even try to run the ball, we are last in the league in attempts. His mouth outkicked his coverage. Hiring him was one of Petes biggest mistake of his Seahawk career. IMO

2020 1971 yds 4.8 ypc without Penny ranked 12

2019 2200yds 4.6 ypc without Penny for the last 6 games ranked 4th

2018 2560 yds 4.8 ypc ranked 1st in the league.

Getting this team back to a top 10 rushing team would be pretty simple, clean out the offensive coaching staff and bring in an OC that has a reputation for building a tough physical team. If you want to build a Shanahan based running offense great, but hire the right guy to coach it and install it. I would overpay for an offensive line coach that lives and breaths that offense. The hard part is staying heathy at RBs. I dont know a worse group RBs in the league. They need to rebuild that group.

But Mcvay isnt some running game guru. His team isnt any better at running the ball than ours this year. Schotty is better at building the run game than Mcvay. For some reason he is on a pedastal around here when his teams under perform their talent every year.

justafan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":26muux91 said:
Fade":26muux91 said:

That last sentence is true for so many people on this forum. There are plenty of real problems to talk about that there is no need to fudge the truth or flat out lie.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":4wzkskv2 said:
HomerJHawk":4wzkskv2 said:

If everyone except the QB and coaches are playing their part, then they are not NFL caliber. OL has been abyssmal all season. DL is supposed to be strong in stopping the run. They haven't done that is several of the games (starting with the second half against the Titans). The leading running back is at 395 yds total for season and they have played 11 games thus far. Seahawk defense is near the bottom of league in total yards, and they are struggling to stop mid-range passes and screens, no consistent pass rush. No everyone is not playing their parts effectively. That's why they are 3-8.

Playing their part, as in being mediocre. I'm fine with mediocre, at least we can work on that. Yes, there are many things that we need to fix, but there are two glaring items that need dealt with first.