Failure of the Running Game is Another Indictment of Pete

Tical21

Reaction score
You can't FOR YEARS say that we don't need a running game, we run too much, we need receivers and a pass-blocking o-line, and then have the nerve to blame the lack of running game on the failure. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED. Happy now?

We have one of the highest early down pass rates in the league. EXACTLY what you wanted. And it is an absolute disaster, just how I told you it would be.

massari

Reaction score
Tical21":32kkqeir said:
You can't FOR YEARS say that we don't need a running game, we run too much, we need receivers and a pass-blocking o-line, and then have the nerve to blame the lack of running game on the failure. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED. Happy now?

We have one of the highest early down pass rates in the league. EXACTLY what you wanted. And it is an absolute disaster, just how I told you it would be.
BREAKING NEWS......apparently
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1466127482659037185[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1446618493806268416[/tweet]

olyfan63

Reaction score
The bad running game is an indictment of talent acquisition more than anything. We had the opportunity to draft Jonathan Taylor, a perfect fit here IMO, but PASS. Creed Humphrey, PASS. These are just TWO in a long list of failures. People still mention passing on Joel Bitonio and Nick Chubb from time to time.

Our awful drafting at OL and RB has put us in this mess. (And maybe a little bad luck too) We should have at least 5 more impact players on this team than we do, based on drafting position. If only we'd drafted athletes like Jameson Konz, we'd a been a contenda... Oh wait... we did.. At least that was only a wasted 7th rounder. Remember that game vs. the Giants where Brandon Browner got a 90-yard pick-6 to seal the win? Konz blew out his ACL on the following kickoff.

I do like Brooks, but I would swap Brooks for Jonathan Taylor in a heartbeat. And that's one of the comparatively good choices though, as Brooks is becoming an impact player.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":3j4y6jus said:
They aren't built to run through Russ. As some on here would have you believe.

The Shanny/McVay system is built on the outside zone running game as the centerpiece, with playaction and the QB booting off of that. They did this week 1, and for whatever reason creeped away from it. It still shows up in spurts, but mostly the offense from week 1 died an inglorious death. Wilson's numbers are phenomenal on playaction for the season, yet they run playaction below league avg. It makes no sense.

If you can't run the ball, it is a total failure from coaching, to front office, to personnel, all the way around. Shanny/McVay offenses struggle when they can't run the ball. Huge red flags should be waving, and sirens should be blaring when they can't produce a running game with this system. Because it produces results in this area where ever it goes.

To be built to run through Russ, you would need to construct the roster and system to something like a New Orleans.
Top 5 O-Line, very strong on the interior. Receiving RB, spread the field, attack the flat, when they overplay attack the seams. As an example of what it would look like if it were built around Wilson properly. But back to the running game.

Pete has failed to build a running game for 6 years, since Marshawn left. Despite making it a key emphasis of his season after season. And the running game right now is about as bad as it's ever been. They just signed old man Adrian Peterson, pathetic.

The running game is just another indictment of Pete Carroll. The team is an absolute mess, just about any area of the team you can point to problems, and these problems never seem to get addressed. They just linger like rotten fruit behind the fridge.

Pete has been systematically turning the Seahawks into the Lions. It's gotten so bad that they're now entering irreparable damage territory. Where the hole is being dug so deep that the new regime is going to need 3 years just to get to .500.

You know Fade I actually think I agree with at least part of your post.

I think you are right when you say that Seattle has a running game that is struggling right now... Carson is out for the Season, Collins has not been 100% for a few games Penny has had a hard time coming back fro knee surgery, they have been averaging 4.1 yards a carry but not able to get that crucial 3rd and short.

If you were Pete Carroll, you were trying to finish the season strong and you wanted to fix the run game what would you do? how would you fix it... was Adrian Peterson a good signing? I'm really interested to hear your opinion!

LTH

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
olyfan63":2cmpsi2s said:
The bad running game is an indictment of talent acquisition more than anything. We had the opportunity to draft Jonathan Taylor, a perfect fit here IMO, but PASS. Creed Humphrey, PASS. These are just TWO in a long list of failures. People still mention passing on Joel Bitonio and Nick Chubb from time to time.

Our awful drafting at OL and RB has put us in this mess. (And maybe a little bad luck too) We should have at least 5 more impact players on this team than we do, based on drafting position. If only we'd drafted athletes like Jameson Konz, we'd a been a contenda... Oh wait... we did.. At least that was only a wasted 7th rounder. Remember that game vs. the Giants where Brandon Browner got a 90-yard pick-6 to seal the win? Konz blew out his ACL on the following kickoff.

I do like Brooks, but I would swap Brooks for Jonathan Taylor in a heartbeat. And that's one of the comparatively good choices though, as Brooks is becoming an impact player.

All true, imo.

And you can call the Penny situation for example "bad luck", but why for the love of God did they not draft or otherwise acquire a single serious every-down back candidate after Penny's disasterous knee blowout until they picked up AC off the street? Pure mismanagement, imo.