Run Game Stayed Ahead of Cardinals With 12-Personnel Pistol

Jville

Reaction score
I've come to appreciate Matty F. Brown reviews and articles. He instills renewed hope that journalism may have a future after all. I found this is to be a noise free and worthy read for anyone seeking original content.

Seahawks' Run Game Stayed Ahead of Cardinals With 12-Personnel Pistol Attached Routes >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/seahawks-run-game-stayed-ahead-of-cardinals-with-12-personnel-pistol-attached-routes[/urltargetblank]

I'm a big fan of lining up the running back 8 or so yards deep. So ........... I didn't fully appreciate what the offense was accomplishing with "12-Personnel Pistol Attached Routes" on game day. The linked Matty Browns review changed that for me.

Enjoy :biggthumpup:

justafan

Reaction score
Nice link. Brown is one of the best at breaking stuff down. As much as I hated having a Mcvay coach come here, he has done his job this year. Installing and getting the players to buy in was a big accomplishment. As long as he helps create a stronger run game. Im a fan

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
That was a nicely written article. I always loved that type of insight here. Who was it that used to post some deep analysis here? I always enjoyed those too but haven’t seen them in a long time.

sutz

Reaction score
I always wondered what happened to the pistol formation over the years. Nice to see them bring it back so effectively.

:2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: :snack:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Yes, I too am starved for both original and quality sports journalism.

If and when any of you run across other examples please post a link or PM me.

sutz

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2j60ndik said:
That was a nicely written article. I always loved that type of insight here. Who was it that used to post some deep analysis here? I always enjoyed those too but haven’t seen them in a long time.
Might be Kearly you're thinking of, but that's been years and years since the haters drove him off.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3cejx6ym said:
He has solid info. He also is anti-russ and pro pete.

I think of Brown as pro tape. He's well focused on one game at a time reviews. So impressions and performance opinions can and do vary from one game to the next.

It's the podcasts where games are linked together and season reviews are discussed. So .... bias is something a listener might interpret in that venue.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Great article! Thanks for the link JVille!

Fascinating that how he shows Penny having 3 opportunities to break long TD runs, and converting on 1 of them. (IIRC in the game there was another Penny TD, shorter, not featured) Seeing how Waldron's play design stretches the defense, moves defenders around to advantage, was eye-opening. Seeing how Waldron's offense operates, Penny is almost a perfect weapon for this attack, and his numbers the last few games sure show it.

So THIS is what we were missing with Schotty, and with Bevell before him. I LIKE IT. Even if it took most of the season to see it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Here is another great breakdown from the Detroit game by Matty Brown.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... t-run-game

"So, the tape shows that running back and offensive line are working together to create a beautiful run game.
"They deserve it all more than I do,” Penny made sure to praise of the line in his post-game press conference.
Credit must also be apportioned to offensive line coach Mike Solari and run game coordinator Andy Dickerson. "

There is a theme becoming clear here: The increasing chemistry of the O-Line, from somewhat-suprising places, Jake Curhan, Phil Haynes, and Ethan Pocic. Of course Gabe Jackson and Duane Brown also, but that was expected. WOW!! A cheap, young bulldozing run game line!
"(Lions DC) Aaron Glenn described the Seattle Seahawks’ offensive line as “maulers” this week (prior to the game). On Sunday, his Detroit Lions defense got mauled."

Who saw this coming? Opposing DCs calling the mostly young, cheap, and unheralded Seahawks O-Line "Maulers"??!! WOW! It snuck up on me! Pete has to be *thrilled* over this O-Line's development and meshing with Waldron's offense.

Basically, Penny is exactly the right talent for the Waldron run game, but other backs with good vision, cutback ability, and explosiveness could be highly successful in this system too! Remember when whatever running back the Denver Broncos put in the backfield was more likely than not to be the NFL rushing leader? (Mike Shanahan days) We just might have something close to that brewing here.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
olyfan63":cajt28xy said:
Here is another great breakdown from the Detroit game by Matty Brown.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... t-run-game

"So, the tape shows that running back and offensive line are working together to create a beautiful run game.
"They deserve it all more than I do,” Penny made sure to praise of the line in his post-game press conference.
Credit must also be apportioned to offensive line coach Mike Solari and run game coordinator Andy Dickerson. "

There is a theme becoming clear here: The increasing chemistry of the O-Line, from somewhat-suprising places, Jake Curhan, Phil Haynes, and Ethan Pocic. Of course Gabe Jackson and Duane Brown also, but that was expected. WOW!! A cheap, young bulldozing run game line!
"(Lions DC) Aaron Glenn described the Seattle Seahawks’ offensive line as “maulers” this week (prior to the game). On Sunday, his Detroit Lions defense got mauled."

Who saw this coming? Opposing DCs calling the mostly young, cheap, and unheralded Seahawks O-Line "Maulers"??!! WOW! It snuck up on me! Pete has to be *thrilled* over this O-Line's development and meshing with Waldron's offense.

Basically, Penny is exactly the right talent for the Waldron run game, but other backs with good vision, cutback ability, and explosiveness could be highly successful in this system too! Remember when whatever running back the Denver Broncos put in the backfield was more likely than not to be the NFL rushing leader? (Mike Shanahan days) We just might have something close to that brewing here.

Thanks for your thoughts and posted link. It's a thing of beauty when all the pieces come together and every complementary player works in concert with one another. Pure poetry. Truly a work of art.