Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach? **from 2017*

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13

Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach?

Great motivator
57%
Great coach
6%
Both
36%

Total votes : 47

• This was a tough one for me but I went with motivator. I think he's a good coach too (x's and O's wise) but IMO his best attribute is motivating players. Yes that's a big part of coaching too but his overall football decisions have at least in my mind come into question the last couple of years. Tough call.
    Last edited by seabowl on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Too soon. :177692:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I didn't answer. I'm going to hold my judgements at least another season. I feel like we are in the same position as we were last year at this time.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• This franchise is on the best run in it's entire existance. They've been to two superbowls, won one. The Seahawks have never been one and done in the playoffs under Pete. He's created quite possibly the best and most consistent defense in the history of the NFL. He's constructed such a culture of winning and spoiled this fanbase so badly that a 10-5-1 season with a playoff win is considered a down year that requires a major coaching shakeup. In short, he's both.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:This franchise is on the best run in it's entire existance. They've been to two superbowls, won one. The Seahawks have never been one and done in the playoffs under Pete. He's created quite possibly the best and most consistent defense in the history of the NFL. He's constructed such a culture of winning and spoiled this fanbase so badly that a 10-5-1 season with a playoff win is considered a down year that requires a major coaching shakeup. In short, he's both.

We are concerned with the steady decline each year. You are right, I have enjoyed having a good team, and hope it continues as long as it can.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

• johnnyfever wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:This franchise is on the best run in it's entire existance. They've been to two superbowls, won one. The Seahawks have never been one and done in the playoffs under Pete. He's created quite possibly the best and most consistent defense in the history of the NFL. He's constructed such a culture of winning and spoiled this fanbase so badly that a 10-5-1 season with a playoff win is considered a down year that requires a major coaching shakeup. In short, he's both.

We are concerned with the steady decline each year. You are right, I have enjoyed having a good team, and hope it continues as long as it can.

Steady decline from what? He took this team to the superbowl two years in a row. Of course this team has declined from that. That is an unsustainable level fo success for any coach. If you expected this team to be a number one seed making the superbowl every year of course you'll be disapointed. The NFL is constructed exactly so that doesn't happen. Look around, every team not named the Patriots is up and down. Look no further than the Bengals, Panthers, Vikings and Cards this year. The difference is Pete's down year was 10-5-1 and a playoff win while fielding the most injury riddled team in his tenure.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Well I for one would have welcomed any tidbit toward improvement next season like "we have work to do" or something. But no, it's stand tall, defend the ways, and exaggerate issues on Sherm to cover for him and honestly tiring of the smoke blowin all's rosey line. Time is running out coach. I think next year is his 3rd and last mulligan, especially if Wilson goes down again because of crap line.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?" Well according to that all the coaches in the playoffs right now other than quinn should have been fired, as all of their teams have given them more than three "mulligans."
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?"

SB49 blown call =1 this seasons $h!t show =2. He is the one that stated "this is the best group I've ever had to work with" at beginning of the year.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Injuries are the biggest factor on how far your team goes. Good teams that can keep more of their starters on the field have huge advantages in both play calling and togetherness.

This definitely was Pete's least talented team going into the playoffs. You could see this was a really tough year for our coaches. They worked their butts off but we weren't dominant at any position group on the field.
    We still made it to the divisional round. That's good coaching and just plain guts from the whole organization.

Looking back honestly and the Atlanta game, I don't think we win this game at home either.
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• Seymour wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?"

SB49 blown call =1 this seasons $h!t show =2. He is the one that stated "this is the best group I've ever had to work with" at beginning of the year.

Ok, I'll bite. Who do you replace him with if he has another mulligan? There are 30 other coaches with worse track records than him in the NFL right now. I don't think Bill Belichicks are as easy to find as many think.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?"

Ok, I'll bite. Who do you replace him with if he has another mulligan? There are 30 other coaches with worse track records than him in the NFL right now. I don't think Bill Belichicks are as easy to find as many think.

Josh McDaniels would be my dream pick. Anyways, we have been in a steady decline. We were a team that went to the superbowl and was always a threat to go to the superbowl to being just a Wildcard team now that other teams beat to get to the superbowl and nobodys afraid of. When we get bounced in the 2nd or even 1st round next year, are you going to continue defending the path the team is taking, because it sure doesnt look like anythings going to change.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

• We had a lot of lucky breaks in the best years, just like everyone else. Single elimination tournaments, all we have in football, are crap shoots encouraging mental illness.

I'm keeping the floor to my expectations > 1 and done, not that there isn't a lot of room for improvement. I was definitely entertained less this year.
    AVL
    NET Veteran

• Isn't a great coach both a Coach and Motivator? He brought our Hawks from upper mid-pack to 10+wins a season over the last 5 years. That's not an easy task.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

Calling for a coaches head because he has gotten you to 2 Super Bowls but lost 1..........within the last 4 years...

Do people really forget Jim Mora so quickly?

We have only been fully satisfied 1 time since 1976 with regards to the Seahawks.
    You cannot win it every year, and one who is demanding such needs to bring themselves back to reality.

We have a very good team and a great coach. The record speaks for itself.

I will take a playoff run and win, over a 4-12 season any day.

The entitlement mentality will get you no where.
    Joygazm
    NET Practice Squad

• Seymour wrote:

Don't you think injuries had a huge impact on this years "$h!t show"? From the first game, the hawks almost lost their starting QB. From there, the injuries kept on pilling up on both sides of the ball. Certainly, I had hoped for a better outcome in the playoffs, but realistically they got about as far as they could with the personnel available.
    Sparkchaser737
    NET Rookie

• He WAS a great motivator and coach, and got his players to believe in his philosophy in the beginning. When the times were good, they were world beaters and they'd follow him to the ends of the earth. But now because over the years he's coached so loosely and has let the players pretty much do and say whatever they want with very little consequences, he is now losing control of this team in the not so good times. Whatever inner problems there seems to be, has become extremely disruptive through out the locker room which Kam all but validated with his post game presser.

Way I see it:

* Gone is the physical smash mouth team that bowed down to no one.
    * Gone is the team that strikes fear in anyone.
    * Gone is the defense with the chip on the shoulder who kept you in every game.
    * Gone is the QB who seemed to get better with every season. Injuries hampered him obviously, but has he reached
    his peak, or just an off year, maybe because we had such a craptastick O line? Probable a bit of all three. But
    time will tell on our young superstar.
    * Seemingly gone is the comradery between players and coaching staff.
    * Players are completely out of control and crossing lines that should never be crossed in sports
    * The lack of discipline on both sides of the ball during games seemed to be at an all time high this season, and has
    been a problem since Carroll got here. Fortunately our teams were good enough to overcome most of the penalties
    but without that all world defense, it was a glaring problem this season.

Our players have lost faith in both coordinators, and maybe Pete as well for a reason. Sideline antics and post game comments have all but proven that. What the problem is exacly, I have no idea, but it has obviously disrupted this team all year...

I don't buy the whole, players got paid and are now content and no longer hungry excuse.

Bobby and Cliff had their best seasons
    Bennett was still a force when healthy
    Kam seemed to be back to pro bowl form
    KJ balled out
    Thomas started slow, but was coming on and looking like the old Earl before the injury
    Sherman played great in my opinion especially now knowing he had a major injury
    Baldwin and Graham both balled out this season
    RW had a down year, which injuries and the O line played a big part, but that man gutted it out all season, with injuries that more than likely should have required surgery?

Do I think was Pete's a good coach and great motivator, absolutely. I also think his stubbornness and inability to evolve with the changing times is keeping him from being a great coach. I also think that is what hampering him from motivating his players now. So I say yes and no. 2011-2013 (except for SB call) YES - 2014 to present NO.

Am I calling for his head, nope. But he's going to start feeling some heat if they don't show some major improvement on the offensive side of the ball especially, and get's our defense back to at least playing consistent. JMO.
    Last edited by hawker84 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Sparkchaser737 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Don't you think injuries had a huge impact on this years "$h!t show"? From the first game, the hawks almost lost their starting QB. From there, the injuries kept on pilling up on both sides of the ball. Certainly, I had hoped for a better outcome in the playoffs, but realistically they got about as far as they could with the personnel available.

We were missing our starting safety in the last game. Everyone else played? who are all these injuries you're talking about? Lockett? Hester and PRich filled his role beautifully. Who else were we missing?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Sparkchaser737 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Of course they did, that happens to every team. I'm talking mostly about the "gambled and lost" in Tom we trust, handling of the oline that got our QB and RB's destroyed. Our $$ is all wrapped up in superstars on D (signing Kearse , Lane, Sowell, Webb not helping), and now they are not performing up their own standard. Also, paying Graham $10M to often just block?? Just wow.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Of course he's both.

You don't become one of the greatest college and pro coaches of all time without being both an innovative coach and motivator.

My issue with Pete is he's stubborn to a fault, he's not willing to tweak his schemes and philosophies to continue to evolve and win. The last two years it's evident that the league has caught up to what we're doing, on both sides of the ball...........and we no longer can just overwhelm and push teams around because we have superior athletes.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Of course he's both.

You don't become one of the greatest college and pro coaches of all time without being both an innovative coach and motivator.

My issue with Pete is he's stubborn to a fault, he's not willing to tweak his schemes and philosophies to continue to evolve and win. The last two years it's evident that the league has caught up to what we're doing, on both sides of the ball...........and we no longer can just overwhelm and push teams around because we have superior athletes.

And that there is the big difference between Belichick and Carroll. Pete's style worked fine with young and hungry players, now they are older and very rich. Yet Pete does not adapt, lets Cable and his crap ZBS (and incompetent talent eval) continue the madness, and everyone is held to the always compete standard except coaches (those in charge). Players are now wising up, and it's getting ugly.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I found this thread that was created almost 4 years to the day. I was (and others) questioning Pete’s football decisions even back then. What has changed?

Nothing.

The definition of insanity folks....

Ownership needs to step in and hold folks accountable and work with the team management to turn this ship around. Pete should stay but needs to be held accountable and force him to change the way he’s doing things.

Go Hawks.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Neither needs to be an option.

Not a great motivator. We were flat and uninspired yesterday.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Pete has had the same problems even back when we went to the Super Bowl twice. His instincts/decision making during a game have never been anything but horrible.

He has never been good at managing an actual game. He has always called timeouts at bad times, he has always been suspect about when to challenge, he has always been poor at managing the clock. Remember back when we used to trot out all of our trick plays back when we were up 20 points for some reason but never ran them in situations where they might actually help us turn around a game we were losing?

This is who Pete has always been. I mean, I can't think of a coach who is better at recognizing talent and harnessing players emotions, but during an actual game? There are probably decent High School football coaches who'd be an improvement on our sideline. (And that might sound like hyperbole, but I really mean it.)
    DarkVictory23
    NET Bench Warmer

• I went motivator as I think to be considered a great coach you need to either me really good on both sides or have really good assistants on both sides that you allow to do their jobs. PC is horrible on offense and refuses to let his OCs do their jobs
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Great motivator. Great program builder. Great at identifying talent and understanding how to use it.

But abjectly terrible in Xs and Os. One of the worst gameday coaches in the NFL.

Abjectly terrible at picking coordinators.

And his message/energy that he conveys to his team has a shelf life. Initially, they all buy-in and ready to run through walls for him. (See Dunlap and Adams recently). But over time key players tune it out.

He is one of the best at building and stocking talent in a roster in the NFL. He finds players with key weaknesses and then puts them in situations to maximize their strengths while diminishing the need for the areas of their weakness. Almost unrivaled in maximizing the value of individual players.

At the same time, that skill is not applied to the roster as a whole. He struggles to address weaknesses in the roster. Will attempt to force game plans that regardless of fit to his team as a whole, or regardless of how well the opponent would matchup.

Tends towards simplistic gameplans, fails to adjust, and often will force a gameplan that is not working out of either sheer stubbornness or inability to think of an alternative. Easy to adjust to and anticipate for opponents. Predictable and almost pedestrian in terms of complexity in tactics.

2 large flaws hold him back.

1 - History of squandering talent

2 - History of hiring and keeping substandard coordinators.

We have had him for near a decade. We should know exactly what he is. Anyone that followed USC before (ie most Husky fans) should be familiar with the issues. He will build incredible rosters that look like worldbeaters against 3/4 of the competition. Then he will generally fall short when talent levels are near even and faced with better coaches.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• 3rd major flaw. Inability to admit his many minor flaws and delegate areas where he is clearly weak to people more qualified.
    4th major flaw - either unwillingness or inability to adapt/evolve in a league that continuously adapts and evolves. This is Belicheat's biggest strength (besides lack of morals allowing him to push cheating so far.)
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Neither needs to be an option.

Not a great motivator. We were flat and uninspired yesterday.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information