Do we need Ziggy Ansah now?

Rat

Reaction score
I joked a few times last night that the biggest winner from the Seahawks' first night was Ziggy Ansah's agent. There is now a situation where a potential contending team might badly need more pass rush, and while Ziggy's recent injury history makes him a risk, he is by far the best short-term option left, and I'm wondering if this is now a move we NEED to make.

There is varying opinions on this board about how close we are to a championship team, but there at least seems to be consensus that it's a playoff team with the potential for more depending on how a few guys develop. Having at least a respectable pass rush is a requirement now, and I worry that the current group will be a detriment, at least in the upcoming season.

Obviously our team doctors would have to sign off on it though.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm sure they won't rule out a FA acquisition or two going forward. Last I heard, there is plenty of room on the 90 man roster, and with Clark's money freed up, they'll have some money to negotiate with.

:229031_shrug:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Ziggy and Suh would be realistic options at this point I think, assuming they don't want crazy money. There is potential on the DL but it's definitely a concern pass rush might struggle.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Ansah was not cut, so he would count against any potential compensatory draft picks.

I think he'd cost way too much though. Can't afford him.

enamel

Reaction score
Not that he's a comparable talent, but Nick Perry is the free agent edge rusher the Hawks have actually had in for a visit.

warden

Reaction score
Jeremy517":22dr7hje said:
Keep in mind that Ansah was not cut, so he would count against any potential compensatory draft picks.

After May 8th, there would no longer be any effect on compensatory picks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well we have to sign at least one of the remaining D-lineman still out there.

Suh
Ansah
Wilkerson
Jordan

Throw in Urban and Bailey.

Even if we draft another 1-2 D-lineman, we need a vet or two on a now very young D-line for depth.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22p9iagd said:

Suh
Ansah
Wilkerson
Jordan

Even if we draft another 1-2 D-lineman, we need a vet or two on a now very young D-line for depth.

1-2 D-lineman you said? How about Suh and Ansah for a one year rental?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle is going to be in very good shape for the upcoming post June 1 UFAs.

Standing at 9m in cap space, once the Clark trade irons out -- that'll put us at 26m. Add the additional 4.8m when we cut Chancellor and we'll be at around 30m That'll put us in the top 7 teams in the league in that respect.

We may not get Ansah. But we'll be able to fill some holes. And if we're extra disciplined, we'll be able to add a host of good one year rentals that come available as cap casualties as training camp progresses.

Good rentals often factor into the comp pick formula. Even if they don't net a lot -- they add to the cancellation formula. So we're not signing the likes of Shamar Stephen and cancelling out Jimmy Graham's 4th round comp.

Needs can (probably should) be filled this way. Veterans that can still play, even if not at a high level. But probably at a better level than a raw rookie prospect in R3 through R7 would in their first season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3l1paumt said:

Like Jeremy alluded to, we have to wait until May 7th.

I heard that Ansah is asking for 10 - 11 Million which is WAYYY too much.

I expect Pete and John to wait until training camp or later, when these guys are desperate, and about the time they start thinking about "Joining a Contender."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":ak9xxp63 said:
Sgt. Largent":ak9xxp63 said:

Suh
Ansah
Wilkerson
Jordan

1-2 D-lineman you said? How about Suh and Ansah for a one year rental?

Too expensive for both. There are going to be a LOT of teams that need D-line help and depth after May 7th when the compensatory pick rule drops off. Which means their price will be driven up.

But I definitely think we'll add one of these players. I'd give Ansah or Suh a two year deal if the price is right, that might sweeten the pot to get one of them, rather than a one year deal.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Important Dates

MAY 7th

The “May 7th Tender” date. This date, which was moved forward from June 1st a couple of years ago, is essentially the last date that the signing or losing of a free agent will count toward the Compensatory Draft pick calculation. The May 7th Tender – which rarely happens – is a way a team can potentially obtain exclusive negotiating rights with a player later in the summer. It also provides extended Comp pick eligibility if the player is tendered a contract of at least 110% of his prior year’s compensation by May 7th. Otherwise, if the player is not given the May 7th Tender, he no longer counts toward the Comp pick formula and the team cannot gain any special negotiating advantage later in the off season. As a practical matter, very few free agents who remain unsigned by May 7th are worth such a tender.

JUNE 1st

This is the last day that teams can release a player and have all of the dead money from that release count against the present year’s Salary Cap. If released after June 1st, only the present year’s bonus prorations count against the Cap in that year and all future bonus prorations would count against the following year’s Cap.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/02 ... nfl-dates/

DJrmb

Reaction score
I hope we bring in Wilkerson to try out for the 5T end position opposite the Leo. Then bring in Perry to push competition at Leo. Those are the two I'd bring in to compete with the youth on the ends.

knownone

Reaction score
According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

If this draft is as good on the field as it looks on paper; the Clark trade may have provided us with the tools to build our most talented team since 2014.

toffee

Reaction score
knownone":2hw86vuu said:
According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

If this draft is as good on the field as it looks on paper; the Clark trade may have provided us with the tools to build our most talented team since 2014.

Somehow I think Pete and John factored in Doug's retirement, the very thought of having Suh, Ansah and Perry fascinates me. hello, QBs in NFC west.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
toffee":v061nzjq said:
knownone":v061nzjq said:

Somehow I think Pete and John factored in Doug's retirement, the very thought of having Suh, Ansah and Perry fascinates me. hello, QBs in NFC west.
Interesting. Very interesting indeed. This explains the rash of WR draftees. Makes perfect sense.
Kam getting cut: Do you think he stays on the team coaching/mentoring somehow? He will never be able play again but last season he was on the sideline inspiring the players. That presence is huge. There is no reason the team cannot pay him a consulting fee if he is not a player anymore. Just a thought.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2bx1weh4 said:
toffee":2bx1weh4 said:
knownone":2bx1weh4 said:

Interesting. Very interesting indeed. This explains the rash of WR draftees. Makes perfect sense.
Kam getting cut: Do you think he stays on the team coaching/mentoring somehow? He will never be able play again but last season he was on the sideline inspiring the players. That presence is huge. There is no reason the team cannot pay him a consulting fee if he is not a player anymore. Just a thought.

Kam has said he is not sure about wanting to, he would be good but he has had some Radio stuff going also. Same for Baldwin, but I think Baldwin would do a lot of Social Activist stuff.