Ruminations on the 49ers Game.

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the 49ers Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

Seattle wanted this game so bad and came to play, had they not fumbled 4 times, they would've blown the 9ers out. Jimmy was not ready for the bright lights. He repeatedly threw the ball into tight coverage and was lucky he didn't have 6 picks in this game. Seattle offensively was conservative, but warranted given the circumstances, and the opponent.

Defensively they changed things up. Pete is crazy like a fox. He was playing bail, and off coverage consistently for like the last month with his DBs. In this game they got into their faces and pressed, and looked like the Seahawks defense of old. They also moved Clowney to Leo, which I thought he would play from the jump when he was acquired. I don't know if this was a crazy Pete move, or he finally realized after half of a season that Ansah was terrible at Leo, and moved Clowney to that spot. The point I am trying to make is. He should've have been playing Leo the whole season, as that is to the flex/open side and it is hard to double team. Where as a 5-tech lines up on the TE side, and is easy to double. Which was happening to Clowney. Review this game and you will see hardly any Clowney double teams due to this switch. Clowney was unreal in this game at Leo, and the Seahawks are going to rush the passer well for the rest of the season if he is playing in that spot. They really only have one obvious weak link on defense right now, and that is #24. The sooner he isn't on the field, the better.

The other big factor was George Kittle was missing, he would've torn the Seahawks a new one, but I feel like it was fairgame as Seattle was missing Dissly, Dickson, Willson, (their top 3 TEs), and Lockett left with an injury. That is also why I have been pushing for the team to get another weapon after Dissly went down. What scared me was if Lockett got hurt, and then having no top targets for Wilson. Josh Gordon is a huge get if he can keep his nose clean.

I would love to write more on this game but I just want to go outside and run up and & the street like a crazy person!

Enjoy my game notes, and final thoughts.

Random Player & Coach Notes Taken During the Game (Literally Random):

#24 has been having a disastrous season, and he somehow found a way to play even worse in this game. He shouldn't be allowed to get on the plane. Cut him at halftime. He had the illegal contact, which nullified the INT, while also getting burned repeatedly resulting in a TD. He is directly responsible for all 10 first half points.

Ejecting #24 out of the stadium with a catapult wouldn't be a bad idea.

3rd and a short 1? Get cute, it's the Seahawks way!

If everyone around Russell Wilson would stop screwing up for a series, he would put some points on the board.

Iupati didn't pick up the blitz, allowing a free runner. Cost the team points.

J. Reed finally making his presence felt. Clowney who has really brought it tonight, is there for the timely scoop and score.

Sherman still plays the run well. Shed DK's block and put a good textbook shot on Lockett.

Phenomonal 3rd and short call by Schotty. I have been asking for that play call for years. They want to overplay the inside zone. Audible to a toss the other way for the easy gain.

Shifting Clowney to Leo has energized the pass rush! I thought that's where he should've been playing in the first place. As it is hard to double the flex side.

Quandre Diggs paying dividends. A shame that Blair had to make way. They need to find a way to get them both on the field. Like ditching #24.

Carson fumbles. Just put the ball in Wilson's hands and let him win the game! How hard is this! And finally! They let Wilson keep the ball for 2 consecutive plays, and he hits pay dirt! Helluva catch by Hollister, but he was covered. Wilson with the feathery touch to throw him open.

I've been commenting to my brother for the last few weeks that Jimmy G would crap the bed under the bright lights. I didn't have the balls to make the prediction on .NET though, as I don't like having egg on the face. Or maybe I did? I don't recall, probably didn't.

That is what you do on short yardage, Pete! Cram it down there throats!

Wilson was swarmed on what appeared to be a screen. No bueno.

You got to be kidding me. It is a requirement to make every game interesting. No easy wins aloud!

Burning timeouts. No bueno.

Clowney at Leo has wrecked this game. Shame on the coaches for playing him at 5-tech, while Ziggy did nothing for half-the season. Clowney is a 'Rari, he should have been playing Leo the whole year.

Jacob Hollister is more athletic than I had originally thought. He can be a nice #2 TE that teams forget about.

I am for going for it, whether it works or not. I can live with the results. And...... they chose to kick.
It's funny, Pete Carroll trusts everyone, but his QB, even his shaky kicker. But at least he made it.

KJ with the INT drop, could cost them the game. Jimmy will never win a Superbowl btw, if you're wondering.

OT of course, please get the ball... God are listening?!

Yes, Seahawks will now win the game with Wilson!

Nvm. Wilson throws his MVP hopes down the drain, potentially. :(

He shanked it! Now it is time for Wilson's redemption. With a bunch of backups as Lockett has been out! :shock:

Wilson hit DK perfectly on the 50/50 he couldin't catch it. Those feel like 10/90 balls.

OMG! a 3rd chance for Wilson to win the game. Unbelievable.

And Jason Meyers makes the FG? I am stunned.

Diagiphycom2Fmedia2FxTiTnMjBxzRzgs7wMo2Fgiphy

FINAL THOUGHTS

This win puts a ton of pressure on Jimmy G and the 9ers to perform the rest of the way. Had they won, they could've taken a deep breath, relaxed, and could play foot loose and fancy free the rest of the way. Not anymore.

Seattle has thoroughly exposed Jimmy G in this game, and teams are going to play them the same way going forward.

This is huge! Just not in the standings, but the mental stress that the 9ers are going to have to endure, while playing a murderers row of opponents upcoming.

I would make the Seahawks the favorites to win the division now, as I don't think Jimmy can handle the schedule that is upcoming for him.

The Seahawks are a measly 1 game back in the loss column, and I feel like Jimmy G is going to drop a few more games this year. The #1 Seed is a real possibility at this point. Wilson keeps on trucking, despite not having that signature drive at the end to solidify his MVP candidacy. He will have many more national games to state his case. A shame he couldn't get it done tonight, but I will take the win every single damn time.

Bask in the glow of this win, as all of those 9er cockroaches magically transform into crickets down the stretch of this season. :D

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I kinda called it last game rumination thread.

Carroll was playing possum & unveiled a totally different defensive scheme.

niveky

Reaction score
I feel like Clowney took the defense on his back tonight and there was an unspoken ultimatum that they better play like he was playing or else. He was a man possessed. The other players on the d might not be as freakishly physically gifted, but mostly they kicked up their effort to a level I don't think I remember seeing from them as a whole from against a quality opponent. Flowers had some key moments, Wagner was his steady self and looked to give it his all getting the defense fired up for this game. Woods, Ford, Jefferson and Reed really seemed to support Clowney well overall. They looked to be in really good position to clean up for him where in other games no one else would be around to benefit from his havoc.

It was maddening to see all the dropped INT's but Diggs looks to be a ball hawk and have the type of aggressiveness seen from Blair but with a lot of NFL experience to back It up(I too want to see Blair and Diggs together in at safety). I really feel like his attitude and play will become infectious for the back end. Griffin has already been a baller. Flowers shows flashes here and there but I think Diggs is going to bring that attitude and physicality they need there week in and week out, especially if Pete doesn't try to play him and Blair together. If Pete does somehow decide to play them both together...they will be laying some lumber for sure every week. I really see potential for this to become a really dominant defense by the end of the season, right when they will need to be that the most.

On Offense, I have said it on another thread and will say it again..Hollister I think sometimes forgets he's a TE and thinks he's a feature back. he is, like Carson, looking to initiate contact and rough up the defense. He was launching himself at the defense like a battering ram whenever possible. Defenses are going to hate tackling him as much as Carson. Already it seems like he has Wilson's trust and is a go to guy for him this early on. Having multiple pieces on offense with that physicality rather than just one is going to be good for knocking defenses back in the chops later in the year. This is before even bringing up that there are 3 big and physical wr's out there catching balls as well. Defenses are going to be so worn out that Locket is going to have an easier time getting open as the season goes on(provided he doesn't have a serious injury).

Props to Pete for sticking with Myers, even last week when we were all mad as hell about the misses. It paid off dividends this week and though I am not going to be all in yet, maybe we have the pro bowl kicker back that he was last year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fade":1x2o9f7c said:
Wilson keeps on trucking, despite not having that signature drive at the end to solidify his MVP candidacy. He will have many more national games to state his case. A shame he couldn't get it done tonight, but I will take the win every single damn time.
And I guarantee you Russ feels exactly the same way. The wins are what matter to him too

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
That’s good stuff man. I really appreciate you

This was a very, very entertaining game to watch- it had the same kind of feels as watching the games in ‘12-‘13.

We’re 8-2 going into the BYE and essentially control our destiny for the division.

Our defense flipped the scene today; it was grand! A couple of missed opportunities late and they could’ve stolen the whole show. Loved to see it. Clowney was fricking amazing. Absolutely dominant; great also to see Poona and Reed get into the backfield consistently.

Huge win. Go Hawks!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Quote "Ejecting #24 out of the stadium with a catapult wouldn't be a bad idea."

:177692:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Natethegreat":jv5vm9ml said:
Quote "Ejecting #24 out of the stadium with a catapult wouldn't be a bad idea."

:177692:

Really hope Amadi is able to use the bye week to make a play for the nickel position

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It’s was a game where Seattle was playing 3 teams. Niners, zebras, and themselves.
Tired of talking about the zebras steering performance. The Hawks shot themselves in the dick enough times tonight to lose.
Luckily SC couldn’t take advantage of it. I’ll take the W!

chris98251

Reaction score
Hollister is playing like Mark Bavarro when he has the ball, look him up, yes it will take it's toll long term but damn DB's will hate trying to tackle him, and he runs a 4.5 I heard.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1jan26pu said:

You did, nice call. I thought there was a small chance, but not likely. I am glad they did.

Clowney to Leo, with Jefferson at 5-tech changes everything as well. A nickleback change has to be coming. That position has to get better by default, because it can't get any worse.

PS It's late and I am going to bed. I look forward to reading everyone's comments tomorrow. :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":qbak3csz said:
Hockey Guy":qbak3csz said:

You did, nice call. I thought there was a small chance, but not likely. I am glad they did.

Clowney to Leo, with Jefferson at 5-tech changes everything as well. A nickleback change has to be coming. That position has to get better by default, because it can't get any worse.

PS It's late and I am going to bed. I look forward to reading everyone's comments tomorrow. :D
Nice work as usual Fade. :2thumbs:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Boy oh boy what a game.

Hawks defense was amazing. Clowney was amazing. That play by Shaq in OT was beautiful. The offense was eh and that pick by russ in ot was horrible.

The defense definitely picked up the offense this game which is great as offense has been the reason for this 7 and 2 start. So to get 8th win and see this defense step is awesome.

Our running backs have slippery hands. That has to be fixed. Myers stepped up huge.

niveky

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2z9zb0u4 said:
Boy oh boy what a game.

Hawks defense was amazing. Clowney was amazing. That play by Shaq in OT was beautiful. The offense was eh and that pick by russ in ot was horrible.

The defense definitely picked up the offense this game which is great as offense has been the reason for this 7 and 2 start. So to get 8th win and see this defense step is awesome.

Our running backs have slippery hands. That has to be fixed. Myers stepped up huge.

To be fair, the 49'ers defense is legit. Luckily the Seahawks defense matched intensity last night

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Glad to see Shaquem get some defensive snaps to help the pass rush.

Keep playing Clowney as the LEO, and as long as Ansah's with us, relegate him to what he can handle. Which isn't much.

Quandre and Gordon stepped up fantastically, and thankfully Myers looks like he overcame the yips.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I texted my niner friend pregame that i couldn't believe Vegas was giving us nearly a touchdown as the underdog. Fyi Vegas dummies, we have the league MVP and a coach who thrives in Primetime. I understood the nod to San Fran, but not by an entire td. Hell, look at how many games Russ has EVER lost by more than a td for some narrative on why that was a disrespectful line.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I agreed with everything the OP said except the Sherm bit
“ Sherman still plays the run well. Shed DK's block and put a good textbook shot on Lockett.”
He held DK lost that battle and went helmet to helmet on Lockett.. it was a chump move, and easily should have been called.

morgulon1

Reaction score
niveky":6uaj6uuw said:
I feel like Clowney took the defense on his back tonight and there was an unspoken ultimatum that they better play like he was playing or else. He was a man possessed. The other players on the d might not be as freakishly physically gifted, but mostly they kicked up their effort to a level I don't think I remember seeing from them as a whole from against a quality opponent. Flowers had some key moments, Wagner was his steady self and looked to give it his all getting the defense fired up for this game. Woods, Ford, Jefferson and Reed really seemed to support Clowney well overall. They looked to be in really good position to clean up for him where in other games no one else would be around to benefit from his havoc.

It was maddening to see all the dropped INT's but Diggs looks to be a ball hawk and have the type of aggressiveness seen from Blair but with a lot of NFL experience to back It up(I too want to see Blair and Diggs together in at safety). I really feel like his attitude and play will become infectious for the back end. Griffin has already been a baller. Flowers shows flashes here and there but I think Diggs is going to bring that attitude and physicality they need there week in and week out, especially if Pete doesn't try to play him and Blair together. If Pete does somehow decide to play them both together...they will be laying some lumber for sure every week. I really see potential for this to become a really dominant defense by the end of the season, right when they will need to be that the most.

On Offense, I have said it on another thread and will say it again..Hollister I think sometimes forgets he's a TE and thinks he's a feature back. he is, like Carson, looking to initiate contact and rough up the defense. He was launching himself at the defense like a battering ram whenever possible. Defenses are going to hate tackling him as much as Carson. Already it seems like he has Wilson's trust and is a go to guy for him this early on. Having multiple pieces on offense with that physicality rather than just one is going to be good for knocking defenses back in the chops later in the year. This is before even bringing up that there are 3 big and physical wr's out there catching balls as well. Defenses are going to be so worn out that Locket is going to have an easier time getting open as the season goes on(provided he doesn't have a serious injury).

Props to Pete for sticking with Myers, even last week when we were all mad as hell about the misses. It paid off dividends this week and though I am not going to be all in yet, maybe we have the pro bowl kicker back that he was last year.

McDougall laid some lumber last night too . I like the combo

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Love reading your thoughts Fade. Always look forward to them.

We have a true embarrassment of riches at TE. I have no idea what we will do when they are all healthy.

With Lockett potentially out for a while, it sure would be nice if we had Dissly or Dickson. Can you imagine the 2 TE possibilities with Dissly and Hollister?

It was really nice to see the Hawks back to a smash you in the mouth style. The soft defense they put on the field for the first half of the season had me :pukeface: