Cap space/contract gurus !!!!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
How do we keep Clowney ?

My hope is that his comments about wanting to play in Seattle were from his heart, and he’ll be willing to negotiate a reasonable deal for both sides.

I was stoked to get him, I’m fearful that we won’t be able to keep him.

Hopefully last night (vs 9ers) showed everyone just what an impact player he can be.

So, can we afford him?
IMHO JC should be pretty high on the priority list.

Tical21

Reaction score
We don't "really" have a ton of cap space, as we don't have a high number of players signed through next season. If we sign Clowney AND Reed, we'll be pretty strapped afterwards, but we can quite easily sign one of the two.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this year is the last year in which we are carrying the dead money contract from Kam Chancellor, since his salary was guaranteed until 2020 (I think?). I also believe the guaranteed money was around 8-9 million. So that immediately gets alleviated, which is great news.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks have $67.7 million of available cap this coming offseason, 7th most. If they want to re-sign Clowney then they will have the ability to do so. I think his play last night justifies a large contract.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JS also has the ability to restructure other contracts favorably. He's a financial ninja in the back office, while still treating the players well.

John63

Reaction score
HawkStrong":2xzs8sfl said:
Tical21":2xzs8sfl said:
We don't "really" have a ton of cap space, as we don't have a high number of players signed through next season. If we sign Clowney AND Reed, we'll be pretty strapped afterwards, but we can quite easily sign one of the two.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/9/14/20 ... owney-fant

How dare you show facts. Sarcasm off.

Everyone knows we will have planty of cap space.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":1qasqqfd said:

Tical, cap numbers are not big in year 1 of new deals. Look at Frank Clark, Khalil Mack, etc, their cap number is around $10M APY in the first year. You and many others seem to think they will have a cap hit of their APY in year 1, which just isn't the case. Look at any big contract and see for yourself.

$70M in cap space + cutting Britt & Ed Dickson isn't enough space huh? :p

Playing with the calculator on otc.

I cut Britt & Dickson. I tendered Seattle's ERFA's and only a couple of Seattle's RFA's in Hollister & Hunt.

Giving the Seahawks $72M in cap space with 46 players on the roster.

They could gain even more space if needed by cutting KJ Wright -$6M, McDougald -$4M, Fluker -$3M

Needing to sign Clowney, Reed, & Jefferson as their big UFAs. If they even want to re-sign Reed & Jefferson.

Seattle will be big players in Free Agency, as I could see them pursuing D-Lineman heavily to add to Clowney if they can get him done, and then looking to DB in the draft.

If Clowney is signed away because some crazy team out there backs up the brink's truck. Best believe Seattle will pursue passrushers aggressively. Similar to what GB did this year, in spite of paying Rodgers top money. They still had plenty of room to sign the Smith brothers. and a litany of other UFAs.

Seattle is in excellent position salary cap wise, and draft pick wise going into the off-season.

Now go look at LA's & SF's cap situations and have a good laugh.

SF will have $15M in space with 43 players under contract with Emanual Sanders, Arik Armstead, & Jimmie Ward set to be UFA's, and they will need to extend George Kittle.

LA is even worse. They will have $26.6M, but a lot more big UFAs. Dante Fowler, Whitworth (probably will retire), Michael Brockers, Corey Littleton, Greg the Leg, and needing to extend Cooper Kupp, and John Johnson.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3v20wocx said:
Tical21":3v20wocx said:

Tical, cap numbers are not big in year 1 of new deals. Look at Frank Clark, Khalil Mack, etc, their cap number is around $10M APY in the first year. You and many others seem to think they will have a cap hit of their APY in year 1, which just isn't the case. Look at any big contract and see for yourself.

I cut Britt & Dickson. I tendered Seattle's ERFA's and only a couple of Seattle's RFA's in Hollister & Hunt.

They could gain even more space if needed by cutting KJ Wright -$6M, McDougald -$4M, Fluker -$3M

Needing to sign Clowney, Reed, & Jefferson as their big UFAs. If they even want to re-sign Reed & Jefferson.

Seattle will be big players in Free Agency, as I could see them pursuing D-Lineman heavily to add to Clowney if they can get him done, and then looking to DB in the draft.

If Clowney is signed away because some crazy team out there backs up the brink's truck. Best believe Seattle will pursue passrushers aggressively. Similar to what GB did this year, in spite of paying Rodgers top money. They still had plenty of room to sign the Smith brothers. and a litany of other UFAs.

Seattle is in excellent position salary cap wise, and draft pick wise going into the off-season.

SF will have $15M in space with 43 players under contract with Emanual Sanders, Arik Armstead, & Jimmie Ward set to be UFA's, and they will need to extend George Kittle.

LA is even worse. They will have $26.6M, but a lot more big UFAs. Dante Fowler, Whitworth (probably will retire), Michael Brockers, Corey Littleton, Greg the Leg, and needing to extend Cooper Kupp, and John Johnson.
Awesome, thanks Fade! :2thumbs:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Plus, the bloom is off the rose on both Jared Goff and JimmyG. They are big cap hits and are a big downgrade from Russell Wilson.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple solid veterans coming over on reasonable deals, like Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett did, to be part of what looks to be a strong contending team.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":30ykh7pf said:
Tical21":30ykh7pf said:

45 million before Clowney and Reed. Even with first-year cap discounts, that's 25-30 mil. If we re-sign both of them, I will bet you anything you want to bet that we are not major players in free agency. We possibly sign a tier 2/3 free agent and then a couple budget depth moves.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Just a reminder, the Seahawks under JS/PC have never been major players in free agency. Available cap space is most likely going to be used on retaining/extending current players more so than big free agent splashes.

Jville

Reaction score
In a rare oversight, Jason Fitzgerald (OTC) has yet to get back to the task of updating the numbers for Quandre Diggs as it applies to the Seahawks 2020 and 2021 projected OTA cap numbers. So cap space for both years look to be reading $5+million higher than they actually should be.

Diggs is a potentially instructive case. He looks like he may project higher value in Seattle's system than he did in Detroit's ..... which likely precipitated the trade.

sutz

Reaction score
Jville":c6ezm4vt said:
In a rare oversight, Jason Fitzgerald (OTC) has yet to get back to the task of updating the numbers for Quandre Diggs as it applies to the Seahawks 2020 and 2021 projected OTA cap numbers. So cap space for both years look to be reading $5+million higher than they actually should be.

Diggs is a potentially instructive case. He looks like he may project higher value in Seattle's system than he did in Detroit's ..... which likely precipitated the trade.
Diggs was no where near the value we got with Clowney, but it still shows how JS can find a quality player at a position of need at good cap value. Guy's a genius.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":cnyat28b said:
Needing to sign Clowney, Reed, & Jefferson as their big UFAs. If they even want to re-sign Reed & Jefferson..

If I had to guess, we go hard after Clowney, and sign either Reed or Jefferson, but not both.........and yes no reason to give Fluker another deal, not with how well Jones is playing.

Bottom line, no matter how you look at our cap for next year, there's plenty of room to do whatever you want at any position.

All we have to hope is Clowney loves it here enough to not go elsewhere for maybe an extra 1M or 2M if someone else tries to outbid us.......and I think he does love it here, he's said so numerous times now that he loves Pete, loves the culture and loves his teammates.

That isn't everything, obviously money talks. But it is a major factor.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lots of room.

First, it's true we have a lot of UFAs to replace in 2020. Not all of them will be retained:

1. Kendricks (Barton or BBK will likely replace) 4.5m
2. Ansah (no immediate replacement) 9.5m Likely will be replaced by UFA addition as draft is weak
3. Iupati (Haynes likely replaces) 2.5m Also very strong draft for OL in the 20-90 overall range.
4. Ifedi (no immediate replacement) 6.8m Likely resign Fant to this figure and also add OT via draft
5. Reed (no immediate replacement) 2.8m Probably resigns in the 8-9m range. Also DT market is LOADED in 2020.
6. Jaron Brown (lots of options on team) 1.5m

Truthfully, there isn't a whole lot of players that are in the resign mix. We do have a lot of ancillary players who probably either are allowed to test the market and if they go, can be equally replaced by a post June 1 type UFA.

Additionally, you look at 2021 UFAs and you see more savings:

1. Justin Britt (OC is typically a fungible/easy position to address) 11.66 M with only 2.9m dead money. He will be released.
2. KJ Wright (Barton or BBK). 8.5m with 2.5m dead money.
3. Ed Dickson (Dissly/Hollister/UFA or draft pick). 4.2m with 0.8m dead

So we have a whole lot of 'savings' when we look at the final void years of these contracts as well. Easily over 10m just right here.

I thought at the time we made the Barton and BBK picks, that we were prepping the roster to get out from under the Wright/Kendricks contracts. Or at the minimum get out from ONE of them in 2020. Allowing them to marinate in the system and get a couple of TCs under their belts so that they'd be ready to roll when needed at that time.

OC should be relatively easily replaced via the draft. There is good quality in this draft at the OL position.

Seattle has realistically more cap space than even we assume they do right now. And are already *mostly* set up to slot in replacements that are already on the roster and developing. I expect we'll hedge that with some street UFA/cap casualty UFA or general post June 1 options.

We could offer Clowney a 'max' type deal and still have ample cash left over to address everything else. Even if it requires adding mid level (~4m per year) qualifying UFAs for a small handful of these.

Tical21

Reaction score
If we sign Clowney and Reed...we will have spent more money on our top-4 players than any team besides the Rams has spent on their top 5. We might actually spend more on our top-3 than anyone else has spent on their top 4. Then our secondary contracts of Brown, Lockett, KJ (who we obviously can't let go of after his stellar performance this season), Britt (IDK) and the safeties. LOL at thinking we're going to be cap rich. You simply haven't done the math. We're going to end up with somewhere around 10-15 million to fill a dozen slots.