Shaq Griffin as a DE

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I noticed something during the game, started to formulate a theory, wanted to see what you guys thought.

Literally every single snap, Shaq simple ran full speed as fast as he could towards the tackles outside shoulder. Almost no swim moves, hand fighting, or any other sort of pass rush technique, which I know he has, even from just his college tape.

Then I started to notice, this was making his tackle have to kick out EXTREMELY wide in order to deal with his speed. A lot of the plays Reed and the interior guys made seemed to stem from the fact that they had about 6 yards of open field to work with from the space Shaq's tackle vacated.

A lot of us are complaining that Shaq contributed almost no pressure, but I am almost wondering if that was by design. PC had seen Ansah be ineffective for a long time, and if I had to guess probably knew Shaq was too small to contribute much as a traditional pass rusher. So maybe he tried something new.

I have no idea for sure, just was curious on what your guys thoughts were or if anyone noticed a similar trend.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I noticed that too but sucks cuz once a lineman touched him it was over.

sutz

Reaction score
You may have a point, but you have to wonder how long that could last once the video gets out.

Teams will just put an RB on him and that would go away. Did seem that we got much more interior pressure out of Reed and Co all night.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
sutz":oglx73q9 said:
You may have a point, but you have to wonder how long that could last once the video gets out.

Teams will just put an RB on him and that would go away. Did seem that we got much more interior pressure out of Reed and Co all night.

For sure it will probably be figured out, but then again keeping the RB in the backfield is one less underneath route our linebackers need to deal with, and those have gouged us for big yards in the past.

Not necessarily saying they should stick with it, but if it was their intention, not a bad in-game wrinkle scheme adjustment for the 1 game.

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3airacj5 said:
sutz":3airacj5 said:

For sure it will probably be figured out, but then again keeping the RB in the backfield is one less underneath route our linebackers need to deal with, and those have gouged us for big yards in the past.

Not necessarily saying they should stick with it, but if it was their intention, not a bad in-game wrinkle scheme adjustment for the 1 game.

He'd also match up better with a RB and can then use those moves you spoke of with speed

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":l7taijub said:
I noticed something during the game, started to formulate a theory, wanted to see what you guys thought.

Literally every single snap, Shaq simple ran full speed as fast as he could towards the tackles outside shoulder. Almost no swim moves, hand fighting, or any other sort of pass rush technique, which I know he has, even from just his college tape.

I saw two times he tried to stunt inside as well, so it wasn't just trying to speed rush.

He's too small to be effective against NFL guards and especially tackles, with just pure speed rushes. To be a great, or even good DE, it takes everything.........size, speed, burst, technique and leverage.

Quem's got speed and burst, and that's just not enough. But I applaud Pete for trying, we gotta figure something out at the other DE. Cause right now it's dead weight.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It looked like he had some juice for sure. It also looked like the RT held/tackled him a few times.

theseahawkguy

Reaction score
Love this guy as a excellent special team player. Will always have a role on this team as that

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1byy4c5v said:

Maybe so, but even at that, he's forcing Offenses to HAVE to designate a player in the lineup to account for him & his speed, thus, freeing someone else up on the Defensive attack.
With Ziggy's ineffectiveness due to not playing @ 100%, Queem seems to be a nice speedy alternative.

FinNasty

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1194127662857388032[/tweet]

ivotuk

Reaction score
FinNasty":1p9ot5e6 said:

Great find! "Tackled 4 times." I believe somebody above posted the same thing.

I think he could be effective as an alternate pass rusher. He can be a decoy, he can stunt and look for a hole where a Guard's lumbering feet would be ineffective. We've seen lots of DBs and LBs be effective at this over the years. And Shaquem was good at it in College. So with some time, he could be a weapon to keep OL on their tippy toes.

HawkGA

Reaction score
ivotuk":rxx0xqwo said:
FinNasty":rxx0xqwo said:

Great find! "Tackled 4 times." I believe somebody above posted the same thing.

I think he could be effective as an alternate pass rusher. He can be a decoy, he can stunt and look for a hole where a Guard's lumbering feet would be ineffective. We've seen lots of DBs and LBs be effective at this over the years. And Shaquem was good at it in College. So with some time, he could be a weapon to keep OL on their tippy toes.

Pretty much this. Sgt. Largent seems to by focused on a silver bullet DE solution that fits all needs but that just isn't realistic. It's all about finding different mixes and rotations to fit situations. Quem isn't the solution, but he might be part of a solution.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Dude has hops. Anyone else see him almost deflect passes 12 feet up in the air? I think he has some fire.

olyfan63

Reaction score
People on here have been begging FOREVER for Pete to put him in as a pass rusher. Finally got our wish! Pete was a little late to the party, but maybe Norton or a D QC coach reads this board, and put the bug in Pete's ear. .NET, FTW, once again!

FinNasty

Reaction score
It's been almost 2 years since he really got to rush the passer. Has a little bit of rust to shake off there and get back in his groove... but he definitely showed some promise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FinNasty":nr3ux8yr said:
It's been almost 2 years since he really got to rush the passer. Has a little bit of rust to shake off there and get back in his groove... but he definitely showed some promise.

Maybe. I think Griffin is just too small, as Pete alluded to yesterday in his presser to just line up off the edge in obvious passing downs to rush the QB.

IMO the ideal situation for Griffin would be in a blitzing capacity from the LB position, like we do with Kendricks or Bobby...........but that would entail Griffin being trusted at that LB spot. But that IS the position he could do some damage with his speed, on delayed blitzes where he can find a crack in the line and explode to the QB.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10cvd2n3 said:
FinNasty":10cvd2n3 said:

Maybe. I think Griffin is just too small, as Pete alluded to yesterday in his presser to just line up off the edge in obvious passing downs to rush the QB.

IMO the ideal situation for Griffin would be in a blitzing capacity from the LB position, like we do with Kendricks or Bobby...........but that would entail Griffin being trusted at that LB spot. But that IS the position he could do some damage with his speed, on delayed blitzes where he can find a crack in the line and explode to the QB.
All true, and it was a different era, but I think 'Queem is the same size as Rufus Porter. ;)

It's been a feel good story, but perhaps it is time for him to prove he really belongs on the field. I'm pulling for him, and I'll admit that is more emotional than "football value" speaking, but those demanding he needs to prove his worth are not totally wrong. Going down the stretch here, we'll need all the talent we can get on the field. Hopefully he can contribute.

Bottom line, though, he didn't cost all that much draft capital, and he contributes a lot on special teams (40% of snaps IIRC). Even if that's all he ever is, he's overcome a lot to get where he is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":3c038hc2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3c038hc2 said:
FinNasty":3c038hc2 said:

All true, and it was a different era, but I think 'Queem is the same size as Rufus Porter. ;)

It's been a feel good story, but perhaps it is time for him to prove he really belongs on the field. I'm pulling for him, and I'll admit that is more emotional than "football value" speaking, but those demanding he needs to prove his worth are not totally wrong. Going down the stretch here, we'll need all the talent we can get on the field. Hopefully he can contribute.

Bottom line, though, he didn't cost all that much draft capital, and he contributes a lot on special teams (40% of snaps IIRC). Even if that's all he ever is, he's overcome a lot to get where he is.

I was thinking more Fred Young, but Porter is a good comp as well.

It's why I've said Quem would probably thrive in a 3-4 defense where he can be the outside backer covering the flat, TE's, RB's, etc................ and getting to rush and blitz without having to beat a guard or tackle one on one.

But yes, he's cheap and a good special teams player. But the writing's on the wall with his long term success here, you don't draft BBK and Barton if you think Quem's the answer as a starting LB long term.

Jville

Reaction score
Well if anyone can figure it out, it'll be Pete Carroll.

A wide nine rush and nickle cover linebacker for sub package duty in a hybrid look I suppose.

Something to keep an eye out for as it develops.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39qmyk9w said:
sutz":39qmyk9w said:
Sgt. Largent":39qmyk9w said:
FinNasty":39qmyk9w said:

I was thinking more Fred Young, but Porter is a good comp as well.

It's why I've said Quem would probably thrive in a 3-4 defense where he can be the outside backer covering the flat, TE's, RB's, etc................ and getting to rush and blitz without having to beat a guard or tackle one on one.

But yes, he's cheap and a good special teams player. But the writing's on the wall with his long term success here, you don't draft BBK and Barton if you think Quem's the answer as a starting LB long term.
Fredd Young was more of an actual LB IIRC. Rufus was never much more than a pure pass rusher. That's why I comp'd him.

Good point about BBK and Barton, although our star LB corps is a bit long in the tooth, and long term The B's seem more like backups for them. In a year or two, one or both of them might be starters regardless of 'Queem's status.