How much will Clowney's performance at SF cost us next year?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Great play commands great pay. Next year may be expensive if we decide to keep him.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
The pass rush is already terrible and Clowney is the only shining star. He needs to be resigned so is to have some consistency.

Chapow

Reaction score
It was going to be a lot regardless, but if he is able to continue being an utter game wrecker like he was last night for the rest of the season and into the playoffs, then probably top 1-2 DE money.

But they had to know that already when they traded for him.

TwilightError

Reaction score
He will cost the moon and a couple of stars. And he will be worth it.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Looking at the situation optimistically, perhaps he needed some time to acclimate. I believe he now realizes that Russ is a once in a generation talent and will give his full effort from here on out. The NFL is a harsh business and guys (rightfully so) are looking to get paid. But occasionally some magic happens...we'll see.

His time in this league is limited too am I'm pretty sure he wants to go out a winner.

themunn

Reaction score
The same amount he would have cost before.
Only difference now is that fans realise he's worth it.

That said, there was still a sizeable proportion of the fanbase that thought we were overpaying Wilson so I guess you can't please everybody

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He’ll cost what he’s worth to the team, but more than Frank Clark, likely top 3 money, While I liked Clark as a Hawk, Clowney is a better overall DE and a core defensive player. Keeping him will be a priority, working on that situation has to be something the team is likely already working on. If not JC will return to the team a 3rd round draft pick in the 2021 draft. It’s easy to see that the Hawks defensive production in SF was sparked by markedly improved play from Clowney’s supporting cast on the DLine. That improvement allowed Clowney to go off. I sure want to see lots more from them all.

Thankfully Washington State has no state income tax which will help, best part is he’s cheap this season. His acquisition was a historically brilliant trade by Schneider. Reed needs to step up his game consistently, and while this last game was excellent, paying him what he might want is less certain to me, but keeping him is also critical.

All in all the team is in good shape cap wise and should be able to retain the players they want to keep.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We have a half a season left. Lets see if he can continue to play at that level. He's been good, but the 49ers game is the first time he was great this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was great without a doubt, but he has been the only truly consistently good player on the DLine this season. There are a few others who have played well at times. JC has earned a new big contract already and is a foundational piece the team can build upon.

chris98251

Reaction score
He put up with the stuff in Houston and seems to really enjoy the fresh air here, he won't give away his services however but I don't think he holds us for Ransom either.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Seahawks FO will have to evaluate his health and also estimate what his passion for the game will be like after he gets an enormous payday. If the answer is satisfactory to both then I don't think this will actually be very hard. He'll be worth a huge contract and we'll give him one.

Washington49er

Reaction score
You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":v55umplj said:
You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

For Christ sakes if they were so rusty why didn't the previous weeks guys come in, that would be on your coach now wouldn't it.

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":3ror2yir said:
Washington49er":3ror2yir said:

For Christ sakes if they were so rusty why didn't the previous weeks guys come in, that would be on your coach now wouldn't it.

Staley and Mcglinchy looked really rusty, it happens when you been out 6 and 4 weeks. Staley will out against AZ, I'll bet you right now if Mcglinchy looks like crap, Brunskill will be in or atleast rotated.

There you go getting all chest thumpy again, you need to chill dude. Its just an observation, like I said you'll know soon enough.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Side note question....is there anyone in FA that we could sign to pair with him on the other side? Or do you see the Hawks using their picks to actually trade UP the first round to grab a DE? If so who you thinking?