espn hate/bias towards seattle in new article

theseahawkguy

Reaction score
This has become the norm with Prisco and espn using metrics and quite forgetting who we are and the fact that we have a proven QB.

While I guess that means they hate Seattle teams which has always been the case, does it make it feel sweeter when we win. How do you handle garbage like this?

We are also undefeated on the road. Beat the NFC highest current seed. If anything, I see the 49ers stumble as they play the Packers, Saints, Ravens, Rams and us once more.

Not sure why they do not see this. Other than not wanting a southern alaska team to win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It used to bug me a lot. I absolutely LOVE how much so many people and media types seem to hate the Hawks. Makes a week like this so sweet. Enjoying every second of it. They make excuses, the Hawks keep racking up wins.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":21w3immh said:
. Other than not wanting a southern alaska team to win.

That's it right there dude, bunch of rabid south Alaska racists out there. You gotta be careful.

I was in a wedding in Louisiana a couple years ago, and took my family out to this southern restaurant, and the waiter asked me where we were from after he heard me talk....................and I told him Washington state.

Threw me and my family RIGHT out of the restaurant and told us never to come back!

Crazy man.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
lol. They hate us. lol

Lots of competition to drive the waaaaaahmbulance around here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't care if people like us or not. It has zero impact on what happens on the field. It's clear that players take this stuff seriously and use it as fuel. This is nothing new.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Most of the media does respect and like the Seahawks. We just like to find the few who don’t. Every time I watch an NFL segment on national TV, they are always talking about Russell and how he is clearly the MVP. We just like to think we are slighted and nobody likes us. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned. Fact is the Seahawks have been in the lime light since our SB win. We are probably one of the top five most covered teams on a national media basis. But we deserve to be as we’ve been one of the best teams this decade. But we need to pump the breaks on the narrative that the media and NFL hates us. Because if we don’t, we just sound like spoiled brats.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3udybnfb said:
Most of the media does respect and like the Seahawks. We just like to find the few who don’t. Every time I watch an NFL segment on national TV, they are always talking about Russell and how he is clearly the MVP. We just like to think we are slighted and nobody likes us. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned. Fact is the Seahawks have been in the lime light since our SB win. We are probably one of the top five most covered teams on a national media basis. But we deserve to be as we’ve been one of the best teams this decade. But we need to pump the breaks on the narrative that the media and NFL hates us. Because if we don’t, we just sound like spoiled brats.

I think for a certain segment of naive myopic sports fans, it empowers them to think there's a bias against their team.

That way when something bad happens, a bad call, bad luck or someone saying something mean about their team.............they can say "SEE! SEE!"

Somehow that helps them process and internalize those bad feelings, and weirdly makes them feel better? Idk.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
At least post the article.

But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":8yr8i8f0 said:
At least post the article.

But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.

If you ran ESPN or one of the other major sports cable stations, would you focus more of your programming on the major market teams like NY, LA or Dallas......or would you specialize your programming to cater to smaller market demographics.

I'm always yelling at ESPN in the morning too for telling us more nonsense about the Jets and Giants, and why does anyone care when they're both complete dumpster fires. And why I need to hear about the Cowboys 62% of the time more than any other team. Or why I need a daily Lebron update.

But I certainly understand on a business level why they do it. So it's not some sort of nefarious "bias" because we're the Hawks, or M's, or whoever........it's because they love money.

Rat

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":hax5z5a7 said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28074785/nfl-teams-players-most-likely-improve-decline-rest-2019-season

I don't see what's so biased about that article. He's not saying we're awful or done or anything, just using objective metrics to show why we're "not in the clear yet". A lot of people on here have referenced our undeniably difficult closing schedule. Five out of six games against teams with winning records: the rest of the season will not be easy.

Barnwell is legit anyway. If we go like 5-1 over the final six games, he is the kind of writer who would put something out breaking down why we were able to buck trends that other teams have struggled with. He also referred to Russ as the MVP frontrunner, so I don't think he's forgetting anything there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I quit watching ESPN for anything but live sports years ago. Same with NFLN. I will occasionally turn them on after a big win just to wallow in said victory a bit longer.

As for Wilson not being respected only liked, as Scorpion05 mentioned, a huge factor in that is him being a 3rd round draft choice. Hard for these talking heads to admit they were wrong about the guy. It seems we may be far enough away from the draft that it's now OK to finally admit his greatness. Am I right Bill Polian?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, when he's making his HOF speech, the same people will STILL deny it. So be it, they don't matter.

endzorn

Reaction score
One thing I will never understand is why people are so sensitive about articles or TV hot takes that aren’t 100% pro-Seahawks. Pete Prisco’s opinion doesn’t have an ounce of weight. ESPN, NFL Network, bleacher report...none of it affects a single thing on the field.

If I posted a power ranking that I made up on my own and I had the Seahawks at #10 I’d be tar and feathered the next time I went to Temple Billiards.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't see any real bias going on there?
Their top 2 points are valid IMO.

1) Strength of schedule is cut and dried. A disadvantage.

2)
The Seahawks have outscored their opponents by just 21 points over 10 games

Common sense that barely squeaking by in wins is not a reliable formula to count on.

I see no reason to take this as a knock on where we stand and our chances personally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
endzorn":t6r569lj said:
One thing I will never understand is why people are so sensitive about articles or TV hot takes that aren’t 100% pro-Seahawks. Pete Prisco’s opinion doesn’t have an ounce of weight. ESPN, NFL Network, bleacher report...none of it affects a single thing on the field.

If I posted a power ranking that I made up on my own and I had the Seahawks at #10 I’d be tar and feathered the next time I went to Temple Billiards.

Especially when most of the usual suspects like Prisco and Skip Bayless are trolls, that's how they get clicks and viewers..........drumming up hate.

Hell, Bayless has made an entire career out of it. He still doesn't give any love to Lebron, dude's the #1 or #2 best player in NBA history.

That's sports programming. You sit around a table at production meetings, decide what the hot topics of the day are, then you choose straws as to who's going to take what side. Rinse and repeat, it's all contrived BS.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x82bgpk said:
endzorn":1x82bgpk said:

Especially when most of the usual suspects like Prisco and Skip Bayless are trolls, that's how they get clicks and viewers..........drumming up hate.

Hell, Bayless has made an entire career out of it. He still doesn't give any love to Lebron, dude's the #1 or #2 best player in NBA history.

That's sports programming. You sit around a table at production meetings, decide what the hot topics of the day are, then you choose straws as to who's going to take what side. Rinse and repeat, it's all contrived BS.
Well said though I personally don't rank Bron quite as high as you do. Subjective of course. Top 5 though for me for sure. Back on subject, don't click, don't watch, don't listen to the trolls and you'll be happier.