In regards to the Seahawks getting 1st in the division

niveky

Reaction score
If Arizona closes out the second half with the win against the 49'ers today wouldn't the Seahawks get the division lead for at least going in to next week?

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah. We're a half game back since they've already had their bye.

If the Cards can pull it off, we'd tied with the Niners and have the head to head tiebreaker advantage.

xray

Reaction score
And the bad news would be another game with the Cards end of season...spoiler alert.

kf3339

Reaction score
There is a very good chance that the Niners will lose at least 2 of their next 4 games looking at those team they will play. So it really is about the Hawks just doing their job and they should rap up the division by the 16th game of the season.

There is even a good chance of getting the 2nd and possibly even 1st seed for the conference. It is in their hands now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Although it doesn't apply to the Niners-Cards game as the Cards in all likelihood aren't going anywhere, I have a policy of waiting until after Thanksgiving weekend before I start seriously looking at playoff scenarios. A team you root for to win in mid November, for example rooting for the Packers to beat the Niners next week, might turn out taking HFA away from you.

Another case in point is the Niners-Saints game on Dec. 8th. Since the Saints own the tiebreaker over us, if both us and the Niners win our next two games, it would be better for us for the Niners to knock them off and give us a shot at HFA or a first round bye. On the other hand, if we were to lose to either the Eagles or Vikings and the Niners were to win their next two, we would need the Saints to win in order to get back in the hunt for the division title.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
niveky":2emtk3v2 said:
If Arizona closes out the second half with the win against the 49'ers today

Probably should have waited until the game was over.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seafan":2m9uxgn5 said:
It will come down to week 17.

Lot of football between now and then. I think there is a good chance this gets decided before that point given both SF and SEA face a murderer's row of winning teams between now and then.

sutz

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1thew3ar said:
Seafan":1thew3ar said:

Lot of football between now and then. I think there is a good chance this gets decided before that point given both SF and SEA face a murderer's row of winning teams between now and then.
Iron sharpens iron. :229031_shrug:

You're not wrong, a lot can change, and likely neither we or the 9ers will win out. But I'd say the odds of us being effectively tied in week 17 are actually closer to 50-50 than any kind of lock either way. And by "effectively tied" I mean if we're one game back at that time, then the game will be for the Division crown. I like our chances in our house on that one.

:mrgreen:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I see no reason why this will not come down to week 17. So much can happen between then and now. I can say this much though, if the D-Line decides that it has finally developed none of this is going to matter, they will make the current secondary look like LOB 2.0 and the Hawks won't be losing any more games.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I think its amazing that we can even have this conversation, considering how many people--even on this board--had us slated to win 8-9 games the entire season. And I suppose we could end up 9-7, but it's unlikely.

This team always has a chance, and if we make the playoffs, especially with our road record this year, I'll be hopeful no matter the seeding. Of course, I'll hope for a bye and a home game, too.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3q9vjds4 said:
Seafan":3q9vjds4 said:

Actually, that's all the more reason it probably will go down to week 17.

Both teams will probably drop a few in the coming month since both teams have a tough stretch looming.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkpower":4tkdd3jk said:
Mad Dog":4tkdd3jk said:
Seafan":4tkdd3jk said:

Both teams will probably drop a few in the coming month since both teams have a tough stretch looming.
Semantics, maybe, but I don't see either team dropping a "few." Maybe a "couple," with the Niners a bit more likely to drop a "few."

I still do agree that it will probably be decided on Dec 29.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Considering SF barely squeaked by the Cards, twice, when they are playing typically inept Cards football, I'm not worried about SF. Their first half schedule is basically all the teams that will be picking top 10 in the draft, and the cowboys who are as mediocre as their record suggests.

Now, SF has been exposed and they're looking at two certain losses in the next 3 weeks.

Garopollo looks overwhelmed and shaken. He's not capable of carrying his team in a tight game against a quality defense, and without a threatening run game, teams will be loading up at the LoS, bringing heavy blitzes, and daring him to throw. And over the last 3 weeks, he's proven that to be a highly effective tactic. He was garbage against AZ yesterday, throwing two awful INTs in the red zone. He had a couple other throws that should have been INTs, thrown right to defenders. If AZ and SEA had quality secondaries, he would have 5-6 INTs just over the last 2 games.

Baltimore DOES have a quality secondary, a great one actually, and a strong pass rush as well. Their defense is legit. And they have a great offense, with Lamar presenting the dual threat, and a quality run game to complement that, as well as a good WR corps. They have an offense that will be very difficult to keep from scoring, much less get them off the field and let your defense rest - and that depth/rotation has been key to the SF pass rush, but they are limited now after the injuries. There is very little chance SF wins that game. It's an ideal matchup for Baltimore.

The saints also look like a team perfectly built to handle SF. Their defense has been playing very well, they have a quality offense that can score on anyone, they're a tough team. Pick either NO or LA. One of them is getting a win. Especially with LA showing they can run the ball again.

I think Seattle goes into week 17 with a 1-game lead in the NFC West and they'll take care of business at home.

49ers took advantage of a soft early schedule, and good for them. Did what they had to do. But the film is out on Jimmy G. That dude can't handle pressure, doesn't have what it takes to win tough games on his own, and is making really questionable throws when it counts.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3d24ina1 said:
Mad Dog":3d24ina1 said:
Seafan":3d24ina1 said:

Which could bring the Rams back into the picture. If they beat both the Niners and Seahawks, it could become a 3 horse race and the Nov 17 game becomes a match for WC.

So much can happen.

I'll just keep with the cliched "1-0 every week mentality" until things clarify themselves a little more. I like our chances in every game as long as we have Clowney, Bobby, Tyler and Russ. Those guys are the essentials.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sutz":1t4ulby7 said:
Mad Dog":1t4ulby7 said:
Seafan":1t4ulby7 said:

Iron sharpens iron. :229031_shrug:

You're not wrong, a lot can change, and likely neither we or the 9ers will win out. But I'd say the odds of us being effectively tied in week 17 are actually closer to 50-50 than any kind of lock either way. And by "effectively tied" I mean if we're one game back at that time, then the game will be for the Division crown. I like our chances in our house on that one.

:mrgreen:

Within 5 games The Seahawks would have to win 0-2 more games than the Niners (or the NIners win 0 to 1 more game than the Hawks). That is versus the Hawks winning 3-5 more games than the NIners or the Niners winning 1-5 more games than the hawks.

Clearly more options that end with us not playing for a title than playing for a title. And it ignores the Rams odds which are far from 0.

nanomoz

Reaction score
What a great division. The Rams are far from done. The Niners are superb. Though, if I'm a Niners fan, Jimmy G's turnovers would make me uneasy. He's only had two games without a pick. And he should have had about four or five versus the 'Hawks.

Cardinals are no joke, either. They don't look like at all like an easy out lately.

HansGruber

Reaction score
nanomoz":9t02vj05 said:
What a great division. The Rams are far from done. The Niners are superb. Though, if I'm a Niners fan, Jimmy G's turnovers would make me uneasy. He's only had two games without a pick. And he should have had about four or five versus the 'Hawks.

Cardinals are no joke, either. They don't look like at all like an easy out lately.

How do you figure the Niners are superb? We must be watching different teams. They've been trash the last 3 weeks, and Bosa has disappeared after the injuries to the front 7. With Jones, Williams, and Ford gone, their pass rush has completely dropped off. They're dropping at least 2 of the next 3.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see the 49ers as vulnerable, Jimmy doesn't handle pressure well, sails throws and looses his mechanics with a pass rush, take the FB out of the equation which was the Cards mistake he kept hurting them and defend the flat for screens you should win. The receivers can catch balls but are not dependable enough to warrant doubles. Against a good secondary that is physical they will start short arming stuff as we seen against us.