Ask an Eagles fan

DEagle7

Reaction score
Hello from Philadelphia. Good luck this weekend. Probably the 2 most beat up teams in the NFL right now but with Wilson and Wentz going at full strength hopefully it'll still be a good game. I'm bored and off this whole week so figured I'd start an "ask an Eagles" fan post if you guys had any questions or trash talk.

Injury wise it sounds as if Sanders and hopefully Lane Johnson will be back for the game. Lane in particular is huge because we recently lost Brooks over on that right side as well. Ertz is listed as a game time decision but with a lacerated kidney that seems really really unlikely. Goedert is as good of a TE2 as any in the league (and better than a lot of TE1s) but still missing Ertz is huge. Our WRs are still literal garbage. If we manage to beat you guys Desean Jackson comes back which would be a big boost but this week it'll be Arcega-Whiteside, Deontay Burnett, Robert Davis and Greg Ward...dream big. One thing to remember about Ward is he was a college QB so I wouldn't be surprised to see some trickery with him at some point.

It's a little ridiculous we have home field advantage but I'll take it. Eagles D is much better at home than away this year (3.8 rushing yards per attempt and 6.4 passing yards per attempt at home vs 4.3 and 8.0 away). Our secondary has been hit hard by injuries in the beginning of the year but have stepped it up big the past few weeks. They're still getting beat on deep routes though even during this winning streak. Terry McLaurin abused us and we definitely got lucky on a few missed deep balls by Manning Jones and Prescott. Jim Schwartz usually lives and dies by the blitz but I'm not so sure if that's the best strategy with Wilson so we'll see what he does there. Eagles DL is still very deep and has been great at outlasting OLs with big 4th quarters.

Well anyway, I'm rambling at this point. As I said happy to answer any questions.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
My biggest question--how did you get those PS guys up to speed so quickly?

Even Pederson said, last time we played, that there was only a "long shot" of making the playoffs. That's from your own head coach.

And then they got Boston Scott. Greg Ward. When Ertz went down, Dallas popped right up. You paid your tackle the most in the league, and right after that he's out.

But you guys are doing...better actually WITHOUT your starters.Even ones you signed a couple weeks ago.

How do you guys do it?

sutz

Reaction score
We're Seahawks fans. We can't really complain about traveling in the playoffs to a team with a worse record. We wrote the book on winning our division as a squeaker and hosting a 10+ win wild card. ;)

Thanks for the info. Showing a good attitude, so you'll probably do well around here. Like you said, hopefully it'll be a good game.

:snack:

olyfan63

Reaction score
It seemed like last time your WRs weren't getting separation/weren't getting open (finding the open spots in zone) plus Wentz' arm wasn't the most accurate that day; I sort of recall there was an acknowledged injury, but Wentz wasn't right.
Will those two things be different? WRs vastly improved, or not so much? And is Wentz healthy and accurate again?

Why did the team release Ajayi? I always thought he ran a lot like Marshawn Lynch, and in the SB you guys won, and playoffs, it seemed like something good nearly always happened when he got the ball. Is he constantly injured/declining production, is there a locker room or off-field issue, or what? The timing of releasing a guy like that also seems strange, from a team loyalty* to player standpoint, though I get it was probably about roster spots in some manner.

* Team loyalty to player - yes, our front office seems to put effort into doing right by players who have put their bodies on the line for the team. Not saying that's unique to us, just puzzled by releasing Ajayi rather than IR or other option.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":kv03qpd1 said:
My biggest question--how did you get those PS guys up to speed so quickly?

Even Pederson said, last time we played, that there was only a "long shot" of making the playoffs. That's from your own head coach.

And then they got Boston Scott. Greg Ward. When Ertz went down, Dallas popped right up. You paid your tackle the most in the league, and right after that he's out.

But you guys are doing...better actually WITHOUT your starters.Even ones you signed a couple weeks ago.

How do you guys do it?

Absolutely no clue. Makes even less sense though when you think about how bad we have been at drafting WRs and RBs. We haven't drafted an above average WR in 10 years (Maclin 2009). Outside of Sanders and maybe Dion Lewis (who we promptly traded away 2 years after drafting) we haven't drafted a good RB in 10 years either (McCoy 2009).

Gotta respect for Pederson Groh and Staley I guess for accumulating and developing solid depth. Having a good QB certainly helps as well. Wentz is the first QB in history to put up 4000 yards without a single WR to get over 500.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
olyfan63":2xqri541 said:
It seemed like last time your WRs weren't getting separation/weren't getting open (finding the open spots in zone) plus Wentz' arm wasn't the most accurate that day; I sort of recall there was an acknowledged injury, but Wentz wasn't right.
Will those two things be different? WRs vastly improved, or not so much? And is Wentz healthy and accurate again?

Why did the team release Ajayi? I always thought he ran a lot like Marshawn Lynch, and in the SB you guys won, and playoffs, it seemed like something good nearly always happened when he got the ball. Is he constantly injured/declining production, is there a locker room or off-field issue, or what? The timing of releasing a guy like that also seems strange, from a team loyalty* to player standpoint, though I get it was probably about roster spots in some manner.

* Team loyalty to player - yes, our front office seems to put effort into doing right by players who have put their bodies on the line for the team. Not saying that's unique to us, just puzzled by releasing Ajayi rather than IR or other option.

Wentz has definitely seemed to improve as the year has gone on. He has had some dings throughout the year but I'm not sure we'll ever know the extent of how much it affected him or how long last years back surgery lingered. As far as the WRs I wouldn't say they're improved. Matthews, Arcega-Whiteside, Ward were the WRs when we went against you last time. Arcega-Whiteside was supposed to be a hands/size/possession receiver guy but still looks like he needs time to develop. Matthews obviously has always been a middling slot guy. The 2 new guys in Burnett and Davis are a bit speedier which I think is important for this offense (even the short time we had Desean I think that became obvious). Also Ward and Wentz have developed an even better rapport.

Ajayi was a free agent to begin the year coming off a torn ACL. They brought him back mid year after Sproles went down but he didn't play much and wasn't super effective when he did. After a few games we had accumulated more injuries, had Sanders breaking out and Howard set to return so unfortunately it was the smart move. Couldn't IR him because he wasn't technically injured. I was bummed by Ajayi not panning out too. Never heard anything bad about him as a player etc, unfortunately with him it's the knees. Even before the torn ACL it was well documented that he had chronic/potentially degenerative knee issues that seem like they have sapped him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
DEagle7":3epe1yxd said:
We haven't drafted a good RB in 10 years either (McCoy 2009).

Gotta respect for Pederson Groh and Staley I guess for accumulating and developing solid depth. Having a good QB certainly helps as well. Wentz is the first QB in history to put up 4000 yards without a single WR to get over 500.

I've been following your team since the Giants first matchup. I wish we had someone like Boston Scott. Yeah, he's 5'6 and 205 but he moves like some classified military weapon out there.

This question always gets asked of opposing fans: Where are your biggest weaknesses right now? O-line w/Big V? First half? Second half? Are there things that get in Wentz's head?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Do you think your 4 game winning streak is solely a function of playing crappier teams or have you seen some positive things that you believe translate to any opponent?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I agree Goedert is very good and is a number 1 on a lot of teams in the league. Miles Saunders has progressed nicely throughout the year and if healhty could be a big factor. Agree that your WR core is in shambles a bit with the injuries.

1. How do you rate your pass rush vs Wilson?
2. Who is your little known intangible that could be a huge factor for your team?
3. What are philly fans saying about the match up? Who are they concerned about the most? What do they think is a glaring weakness on our squad?
4. Are there still any leadership concerns with Wentz?

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1o9kvxva said:
DEagle7":1o9kvxva said:
We haven't drafted a good RB in 10 years either (McCoy 2009).

I've been following your team since the Giants first matchup. I wish we had someone like Boston Scott. Yeah, he's 5'6 and 205 but he moves like some classified military weapon out there.

This question always gets asked of opposing fans: Where are your biggest weaknesses right now? O-line w/Big V? First half? Second half? Are there things that get in Wentz's head?

Big V is a weakness. He's an excellent backup but Brooks was an elite RG. We're going to miss him. Peters actually is finally showing his age too. He's still solid but he has had a crazy number of penalties this year too. Our secondary is extremely hot and cold. LeBlanc had been injured but recently came back and is playing out of his mind these past 2 games. Other than that Mills, Douglas, Maddox, Jones have all made some great plays and absolutely gotten torched too. WRs obviously have looked better recently but we lack an impact pass catcher outside of Goedert.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":efc2oztg said:
Do you think your 4 game winning streak is solely a function of playing crappier teams or have you seen some positive things that you believe translate to any opponent?

Yes?

The NFC East is always tough to predict. Hasn't been a back to back winner in about 15 years. We always play each other tight no matter how lopsided talent is. So I wouldn't discount those games completely, but I'd be lying if I said I would have expected that winnign streak against the Chiefs, Ravens and Packers of the league. Wentz has been the most notable improvement. He has been making some really spectacular throws and seems to really be stepping up at the right time.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2lgjl5jg said:
I agree Goedert is very good and is a number 1 on a lot of teams in the league. Miles Saunders has progressed nicely throughout the year and if healhty could be a big factor. Agree that your WR core is in shambles a bit with the injuries.

1. How do you rate your pass rush vs Wilson?
2. Who is your little known intangible that could be a huge factor for your team?
3. What are philly fans saying about the match up? Who are they concerned about the most? What do they think is a glaring weakness on our squad?
4. Are there still any leadership concerns with Wentz?

1. That might be the difference in the game. Our DL is an elite run stopping unit, but as far as pass rush they don't always get the job done. They're a good disciplined unit though and they have been using more stunts and exotic looks/blitzes to get pressure recently. I worry about what they can do about someone as good vs the blitz as Wilson though. They have great depth though so IF they manage to stay in the game 4th quarter is when they tend to shine.
2. They're not little known per se, but Kelce and Jenkins are way more important to our team than I think they get credit for. Both are elite at play recognition and making adjustments on the field and can easily be the difference in recognizing a mismatch/incoming blitz/deep ball etc. Having 2 guys like that with superbowl experience is huge IMO.
3. Most of them are kind of tepidly optimistic. We won in 2017 without or starting QB, LT, MLB and more so the city kinda loves the underdog mentality. The thought is that we certainly aren't in as good of shape to win as most teams but Doug Pederson and Wentz can keep us in any match. Still most of them are worried about our lack of playmakers, our DBs, and injuries to our OL. Most fans seem to think we could win, not that we should if that makes sense.
4. Nope, that narrative has gone out the window fast. Wentz has carried us the past 4 games.

sutz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3fizrb3x said:
Thanks for the insight and welcome. Good luck Dunday.
Nice typo. It is gonna be Done-day for one of our teams. :twisted:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This is (sorta) off-topic, but my nephew goes to Penn.

At the Christmas table, I brought up that this one really livid fan turned out to be the dean of admissions for that school. No but of course, they all knew him even though he admitted thousands of people. Pictures were shown.

And then there was earlier in the season where some dude catches this baby out of a burning building. He quipped that he was a better pass-catcher than Agulor, who promptly looked him up on Twitter and offered his family game tickets.

Philly has a cynical but fundamentally kind fan base. They remind me a lot of Seattle.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1bcds13z said:
And then there was earlier in the season where some dude catches this baby out of a burning building. He quipped that he was a better pass-catcher than Agulor, who promptly looked him up on Twitter and offered his family game tickets.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dz7sFwpG6o[/youtube]

Guy is a legend. And yeah Nelson reached out to him and gave him tickets afterwards.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":32j25aij said:

At the Christmas table, I brought up that this one really livid fan turned out to be the dean of admissions for that school. No but of course, they all knew him even though he admitted thousands of people. Pictures were shown.

Philly has a cynical but fundamentally kind fan base. They remind me a lot of Seattle.

LOL.. hardly

Seattle is passive aggressive
Phil is just aggressive and will let you know in a heart beat what displeases them.

I don't see any similarities, I mean, they booed Santa.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
Bobblehead":9y0xp6uh said:
SantaClaraHawk":9y0xp6uh said:

LOL.. hardly

Seattle is passive aggressive
Phil is just aggressive and will let you know in a heart beat what displeases them.

I don't see any similarities, I mean, they booed Santa.

Santa had it coming

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think Boston Scott is a secret weapon that's going to torch our defense.

Btw, our defense is terrible. They can't stop anything. And Kendricks going down really hurts. Cody Barton is not ready to play.
We let Drake kill us a couple weeks ago, and we basically let any 49er running back run wild last week.

My question: Will the Eagles lean on Boston Scott? If so, what do you see his numbers being?