Is Clowney a dirty player?

CHawk

Reaction score
Granted I'm in Philly territory but the Eagles fans are really claiming Clowney has always been a dirty player. I didn't watch many Houston games but I don't remember any plays this he was even close to being dirty.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

tifferradish

Reaction score
No, he’s not dirty, they’re just mad that he took out Wentz.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1214000922088673281[/tweet]

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Was the hit dirty? It was borderline. Had that been Wilson that got taken out, we would all be upset.

Is he a dirty player? No

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’ve watched many Texans games.

I’d say unequivocally NO.

Football is a violent game that’s played at high speed with lots of passion.
Things happen from time to time that make certain plays appear “dirty”.

We know who the dirty players are, we see the “time to time” incidents happen more often than not with them.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
First, I saw this live without sound, because we caught lunch in this bar that doesn't turn on sound unless it's for the 49ers. I saw some replays once I actually got home to watch the game.

Second, 'm trying to look at this objectively. Like if this had been a play by Fletcher or by Bosa on Russ, how many people would be enraged by no flag? Let alone no ejection?

Objectively, I was surprised when I first saw it. There was clearly H2H contact, and even if not punished straight away, it usually is when the QB is down (i.e. Earl's hit on Mason Rudolph).

I watched the Vontaze Burfect hit on Boyle when it happened. This to my untrained eye appeared very similar.

Can someone explain why this did not merit a flag and/or a DQ, just objectively? Is this a dirty hit, and why or why not?

Thanks.

renofox

Reaction score
Wentz was a runner who did not give himself up.

How many steps did Clowney take after Wentz was down? <1

justafan

Reaction score
I dont know about his past, he hasnt been dirty here. But that was a dirty hit. Helmet to helmet easy call. I have been pissed because the refs dont protect RW more. Philly fans have a right to be pissed now.

Im glad it was on Wentz and not Wilson.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Wentz was a runner... He didn't give himself up... Clowney got him from behind... The helmet to helmet was incidental...
His face planting in the turf is what concussed him.... He should have slid to avoid the hit.... On to Green Bay.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
pmedic920":3d5icobz said:
I’ve watched many Texans games.

I’d say unequivocally NO.

Football is a violent game that’s played at high speed with lots of passion.
Things happen from time to time that make certain plays appear “dirty”.

We know who the dirty players are, we see the “time to time” incidents happen more often than not with them.

Spot on pmedic. The speed at which this stuff happens makes incidents like this inevitable. Problem is we see replays in slow motion and we make judgement based on that. I will agree Clowney needs to learn to keep his head up though. That is how you can avoid the H2H thing. An important factor is that Wentz was in the process of going down, but he did not slide. That means he is a live runner and fair game for contact. It was not a late hit.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
justafan":29r09bq4 said:
I dont know about his past, he hasnt been dirty here. But that was a dirty hit. Helmet to helmet easy call. I have been pissed because the refs dont protect RW more. Philly fans have a right to be pissed now.

I dont have a problem with the argument that it should have been a penalty.

But Dirty insinuates that Clowney was hoping to hurt Wentz with malicious intent. Since he has no history of that, what did you see on that play that convinces you he was trying to maliciously hurt Wentz?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
No. He’s not dirty. I don’t think Clowney tried to kill shot Wentz. That being said, if it was college football, Clowney would have likely been ejected after a replay review for targeting. I feel for the Philly fans. I really do, but I don’t think Clowney tried to knock out Wentz.

justafan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":277zq1vh said:
justafan":277zq1vh said:

I dont have a problem with the argument that it should have been a penalty.

But Dirty insinuates that Clowney was hoping to hurt Wentz with malicious intent. Since he has no history of that, what did you see on that play that convinces you he was trying to maliciously hurt Wentz?

IMO he intentionally targeted Wentzes head and lowered his helmet. I would hate to see Wilson go down like that. Everybody would have lost it on that one.Wilson took a shot in the back that should have been called. The league knows the QBs are the lifeblood of most teams but they dont protect them equally.
I hope I am wrong. Its just my opinion.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
If it were Russ would I be angry, sure. So I get why Philly fans are mad, but if i'm being objective they made the right call. My bias would have me pissed, as there bias has them pissed. Nobody wants to lose their starting qb. JD isn't a dirty player, never has been. Wentz didn't give himself up, Ryan Clark said it, you play to the whistle and you're going to get in your shot because that's your job, he went for the hit and there was some contact. You don't want to take the hit give yourself up. As much I don't like seeing players get injured it couldn't happen to a nicer fan base. Outside san fran, Philly fans are the worst...their whining brings me endless joy.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Don't know if he's a dirty player or not. On the play in question -- in slomo, especially -- he does this weird thing where it sorta looks like he snaps/cocks his head at Wentz's dome right there as he makes contact. I don't think in real time that it look "forceful", like a true, Steeler-style crown-to-earhole kill shot.

So looks like an easy penalty to me, especially given the outcome (which matters, and should always matter, IMO.) But no ejection with the rules as they stand.

olyfan63

Reaction score
All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.