Is this Pete's Best Coaching Performance?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. Hardest strength of schedule in the NFL
2. Most injuries sustained in league
3. 11-5 record
4. Divisional Round
5. 7-1 road record

I know we like to praise coaches when they win SB's, and rightly so. But IMO what sets the great coaches apart from just good coaches is what they do when adversity strikes, and no one can deny that we've had more than our fair share of adversity this year with injuries and how hard our schedules been.

Yet here we are, elite eight and still standing..........and after year two of a 80% roster turnover.

Is this Pete's best coaching job since he was hired?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gy0ux7z said:
3. 11-5 record
4. Divisional Round
5. 7-1 road record

I know we like to praise coaches when they win SB's, and rightly so. But IMO what sets the great coaches apart from just good coaches is what they do when adversity strikes, and no one can deny that we've had more than our fair share of adversity this year with injuries and how hard our schedules been.

Yet here we are, elite eight and still standing..........and after year two of a 80% roster turnover.

The last game, yes. At last, Pete unleashed Russ to run. He wasn't overly concerned with putting Lynch in. His time management was good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It is a valid question that's for sure. You really could argue that this is even more impressive than the 2 Super Bowl years. Look what he has had to work with vs. back then. Not to mention, winning what 11 one score games?
And his ability to get the most out of players is incredible. Especially backups. Sure, his time management has been painful. But as far as getting the most out of less...…..this is quite possibly his best coaching job yet.
You don't go 8-1 on the road by accident, and I don't care WHO they played.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":370gp4yx said:
Sgt. Largent":370gp4yx said:
3. 11-5 record
4. Divisional Round
5. 7-1 road record

The last game, yes. At last, Pete unleashed Russ to run. He wasn't overly concerned with putting Lynch in. His time management was good.

But not the first 16 games?

I don't think Pete unleashed Russell. I just think Russell did what Russell does, an amazing job of escaping pressure and either finding an open receiver, or running for positive yards. Just so happens there were 3-4 times during the Eagle's game that there was a LOT of real estate for Russell to run.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
We have a thread on this forum entitled "Pete Carroll needs to go" and you're asking if this is his best ever Seahawks coaching job. I'm so confused.

(It may well be Sgt)

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2s58zrbe said:
We have a thread on this forum entitled "Pete Carroll needs to go" and you're asking if this is his best ever Seahawks coaching job. I'm so confused.

(It may well be Sgt)

LOL. I can only post objective opinions based on being a fan since 1976..........unfortunately I can't control insane knee jerk fans that have obviously only been fans since like 2010 starting ridiculous threads about firing the most successful coach this team's ever had, that's STILL successful.

How many other owners would pull a hamstring running to Pete Carroll if we fired him? 28? 29?

Perspective. What it be.

Seymour

Reaction score
Is clock management, decision making, and getting the team prepared for HOME games a function of coaching?

No, this is not Pete's best, but possibly Wilson's best considering what he has to work with in pass protection and now running backs. Wilson doesn't care, he just becomes the lead RB if needed.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":22c8wni4 said:
Is clock management, decision making, and getting the team prepared for HOME games a function of coaching?

No, this is not Pete's best, but possibly Wilson's best considering what he has to work with in pass protection and now running backs. Wilson doesn't care, he just becomes the lead RB if needed.

Pete's never been good at all the criticisms you mention here, so what year would you say he coached and managed the roster better?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":3drggdl3 said:

I agree with Seymour 1000%. Russ has played out of his mind this season except for the very end and I do believe most of our success is due to him. Pete has shown his usual gaffes this year as mentioned above.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qljvrh9w said:
Seymour":qljvrh9w said:

Pete's never been good at all the criticisms you mention here, so what year would you say he coached and managed the roster better?

What year is better? 2015 when he finally turned Russ lose and went 10-6 after what would have crippled most teams with the SB 49 ending. He also trashed Harvin which took balls but needed to happen.

Also, the last 2 years ONLY have we started to lose more home games and that is a team preparation issue.

Yes Pete has always had clock management issues....BUT they are getting worse!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, I think it's a great question really. To me, part of how well a coach does is what he has to actually work with. This team has been held together with Duct tape. Just sayin

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3v5edv7j said:
Sgt. Largent":3v5edv7j said:
Seymour":3v5edv7j said:

What year is better? 2015 when he finally turned Russ lose and went 10-6 after what would have crippled most teams with the SB 49 ending. He also trashed Harvin which took balls but needed to happen.

I certainly can't argue with the clock management or in-game decisionmaking gaffs, drives me insane.

And I can't argue with 2015, another great coaching accomplishment..........but IMO that team still had far more talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and were in a division with only one other good team. Both the Rams and Niners stunk that year.

Let's have this weekend as the tie breaker Seymour. If we win, it's this year........if we lose, I'll concede 2015.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I find it interesting that many of our fans can't draw a distinction between being a good coach and having faults.

Pete makes mistakes, but: Any team in the divisional round of the playoffs, with a season as injury riddled as this one, that was already thin to begin with, has a coach doing a fantastic job. Period. End of story.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
yes, for sure. I vastly over estimated our defensive talent. I think our DC isn't very good either. Every single expert picked us to be in the bottom 1/3 of the league.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1lqakihn said:
I find it interesting that many of our fans can't draw a distinction between being a good coach and having faults.

Pete makes mistakes, but: Any team in the divisional round of the playoffs, with a season as injury riddled as this one, that was already thin to begin with, has a coach doing a fantastic job. Period. End of story.

I find it interesting you interpret that as saying he is NOT a good coach?

Not what I said. I said Russ is the #1 reason for our 2019 record and I think 2015 was better. Yes Pete is a very good coach, no it's not his best year IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gcu1o9p3 said:
Seymour":gcu1o9p3 said:
Sgt. Largent":gcu1o9p3 said:
Seymour":gcu1o9p3 said:

I certainly can't argue with the clock management or in-game decisionmaking gaffs, drives me insane.

And I can't argue with 2015, another great coaching accomplishment..........but IMO that team still had far more talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and were in a division with only one other good team. Both the Rams and Niners stunk that year.

Let's have this weekend as the tie breaker Seymour. If we win, it's this year........if we lose, I'll concede 2015.

Fair enough. That would be Pete's first win in Lambeau so I would give it to him if he pulls off a W against a 13W mud Packers team. :2thumbs:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lately, or this year?

You know we lost to the Cardinals at home in a must win game, right?

Of course this is not his best year. And in hindsight, no way our schedule was actually nearly as tough as ranked. We played 5 backup QBs.

Ultimately, to answer this question you have to decide how much credit you want to give Wilson for these wins vs Carroll. There are a # of games that look like Wilson balled out while outside of the playbook.

However, if we win this next playoff game, then yes you have to concede that outside of the SB years it potentially could be one of Carroll's better performances. For now, we do have an 11 win season but we had a near cakewalk in 1/3 of our games. We have a wildcard win, but we've been a wildcard team for some time. Injuries have hit hard this year, so he did a good job juggling - but a # of our wins have come against teams with key injuries themselves.

For now, it feels like the answer to this question is: 'We will see after the Green Bay game".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, they are 12-5 and playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs. But I get it, the Hawks win but...…...pretty much all you hear this season. Downplay it all you want. They are 12-5, and while having one of the most injured teams in the entire league.
Why not break down other teams with so called "easy schedules" and or going against backup QB's etc.
You play who is in front of you, and the Hawks are one of 8 teams remaining in the league. They are 8-1 ON THE ROAD FFS.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I mean .... the delay of game still ticks me off --- but overall he's done a remarkable job.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1zkvd5h6 said:
Um, they are 12-5 and playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs. But I get it, the Hawks win but...…...pretty much all you hear this season. Downplay it all you want. They are 12-5, and while having one of the most injured teams in the entire league.
Why not break down other teams with so called "easy schedules" and or going against backup QB's etc.
You play who is in front of you, and the Hawks are one of 8 teams remaining in the league. They are 8-1 ON THE ROAD FFS.

And by the time we kickoff we will be "even better" as we will be 1 of just 5 teams left!

:lol: :irishdrinkers:

Latest posts