Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete Ball is NOT the Problem

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Pete Ball is NOT the Problem
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
  • I have been critical of Pete on this board; I have been a strong critic of his in fact. Pete's philosophy works, however. Look at the Titans as an example: running game and defense, and limit possessions.

The shortcoming this year, in part, was an inability of the coaching staff and the team as a whole to move away from Pete ball when needed. Like it or not, this team was not built for Pete ball due to roster construction and injuries. I don't think this reality was realized entirely, but maybe I am grasping at straws.
    Seahawlnut89
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Pete Ball is NOT the Problem
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 pm
  • Thats the whole point that everybody is complaining about. Pete ball works when you have the talent to make it work (good defense and stout running game). When you have neither, why does he continue doing it for entire halves? Its maddening and he refuses to change and adapt.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:56 pm
  • Same downfall as Holmgren. Either inability or unwillingness to adapt to reality.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm
  • Pete is the one costing Hawks in big games. SB Int vs Pats and now again with pretty much the same play again taking a dumb penalty pissing away the division title and bye.
    hawksfansince90
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:51 pm
  • One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

And, it wears out opposing defenses. Look at what Tennessee is doing. Don't be surprised if they beat the "high powered Chiefs" this weekend. There's a reason why Andy Reid has so many regular season wins, but so few post season wins.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

And, it wears out opposing defenses. Look at what Tennessee is doing. Don't be surprised if they beat the "high powered Chiefs" this weekend. There's a reason why Andy Reid has so many regular season wins, but so few post season wins.

Three and out does not keep the ball away from the opponent. Derrick Henry was running through holes the likes that have never been seen under Carrol. Our backs have so much YAC because they are hit at the LOS if not in the backfield.
    Statistically speaking, NFL wide, for max point production you should throw the 70% of the time for the best W/L outcome. With a QB as talented as RW make that 75% of the time.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

The Titans have the players to do it. Seattle does not.

I would prefer a run game and a stout D as well. We don't have that. game planning like we do and going 3 and out until there are 2 minutes left in the first half puts the team in a hole and tires out the defense.
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm
  • When it comes to the running game, it is far more important to run the ball when you NEED to than it is to run it when you WANT to do it. Against the Packers, our play calling focused on preference over necessity in the first half. In the second half, we flipped that, and became far more successful.

These fundamental principles are part of the problem that MUST be addressed.
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm
  • irfuben32 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

The Titans have the players to do it. Seattle does not.

I would prefer a run game and a stout D as well. We don't have that. game planning like we do and going 3 and out until there are 2 minutes left in the first half puts the team in a hole and tires out the defense.

So is the answer change philosophy, or get the players to run the type of offense Pete wants to run (and defense).

Seems much easier with a 67 year old coach set in his philosophical ways to focus on player acquisition and development, rather than scream for wholesale philosophy, scheme or coaching changes.

There's more than one way to win in the NFL, we've proven that ourselves.........and no further proof then the AFC Championship game this weekend with two polar opposite schemes going at each other.

Seems futile to discuss ad nauseum about wanting Pete to change, when we all know damn well he won't, and for most of what he does, we shouldn't.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 pm
  • Ummm...hahahaha.....Damn, newbies gonna newb. 60 posts of critical Seahawk problems..... An obvious expert in football and especially Seahawks football. His expertise is clearly available here.

Yeah......Go...Hahahahha
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 pm
  • Some numbers that favor your argument

Top 10 teams with most Passing Yards? Only 2 made the Playoffs, New England and KC.

The Top 10 teams as far as Rushing? 7 made the Playoffs.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162844
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm
  • Pete ball is not the problem.... Unless you don't have the personnel to run it. Add to the fact that Wilson and the offense seem to thrive in a more up tempo quick passing game, with the occasional long ball.
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm
  • cymatica wrote:Pete ball is not the problem.... Unless you don't have the personnel to run it. Add to the fact that Wilson and the offense seem to thrive in a more up tempo quick passing game, with the occasional long ball.

That si correct in how the offense works best which is why it makes no sense not to do it. However, that said we actually throw long as much in uptempo as we did in PC ball.

Which in itself makes PC ball the problem.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Some numbers that favor your argument

Top 10 teams with most Passing Yards? Only 2 made the Playoffs, New England and KC.

The Top 10 teams as far as Rushing? 7 made the Playoffs.

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162844

You are confusing correlation with causation. In your analysis you are failing to control for other variables, defensive performance likely being the most important.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:01 am
  • The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .
    What ever happened to Carroll's philosophy of " every game is a championship game " . Wilson just recently said that the Hawks were underachievers this season , That view is a direct result of Carroll's refusal to adapt and change . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm
  • xray wrote:The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .
    What ever happened to Carroll's philosophy of " every game is a championship game " . Wilson just recently said that the Hawks were underachievers this season , That view is a direct result of Carroll's refusal to adapt and change . IMO

Wilson was straight up coach speak during that interview. He was doing his best Pete Carroll of being upbeat and positive for the future. Did you even watch the post game interview Pete gave? Did you watch his end of the year presser? Losing in the divisional round hurt that man's soul.

This season was completely overachieving. The talent level on defense is not there. We were lucky we could pull off the Clowney and Diggs trades or we would have ended up under .500. The fact that the team was in the divisional round is a testament to Carroll.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:03 pm
  • xray wrote:The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .

Definitely, you can see that after each win in the locker room, Pete get's everyone fired up with his "WILD CARD ROUND IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME BOYS!!" speeches.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    xray wrote:The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .

Definitely, you can see that after each win in the locker room, Pete get's everyone fired up with his "WILD CARD ROUND IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME BOYS!!" speeches.

Pete was the most angry I have seen him in a while with that Jimmy G first down call. He wanted more. I can guarantee you he is not satisfied with the outcome. Don't mix that up with a positive outlook.
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm
  • For a bit of perspective I recommend reading through some of the Ravens fan comments on r/Ravens or several of their fan forums. While the majority are reasonable, there's the same loud 10% or so that thinks because they didn't win the Superbowl they should have passed a lot more and need to rework their entire identity.

I was specifically reminded of a few posts on this forum when I saw a couple of divisive comments on r/Ravens about how Harbaugh was wasting Jackson's talent. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees, and taking a step back to look at other NFL teams can provide a much needed reality check.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Most of the fans around here feel that way it seems.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:35 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    xray wrote:The problem that I see is a HC that now seems to be satisfied with just a winning season and possibly a wild card berth .

I would guess that most fans don't have an ALL OR NOTHING attitude. I see winning the SB kind of like winning the lottery. Sure, winning millions in a jackpot would be great, but I would be completely happy with hitting 5/6 numbers for $100,000. As far as quality goes, I certainly feel we receive quite a bit of entertainment this season. There were many great and fun games....many of them nail-biters.

What I do know is PC/JS got us to the SB twice. Having 11-5 seasons and making it to the second round of the playoff provides us some level of confidence that we can win the SB in the future......a lot more confidence than we would have with a complete new coaching staff. There are no guarantees. A new coach or GM could very easily take us back to the 8-8 type seasons.

While winning the SB is a great feeling, it is not life changing. I just do not think that most fans share your "All-In" emotional investment.
    Nunya_
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Ummm...hahahaha.....Damn, newbies gonna newb. 60 posts of critical Seahawk problems..... An obvious expert in football and especially Seahawks football. His expertise is clearly available here.

Yeah......Go...Hahahahha

L 80, this above is an unfriendly post. Your opinion is your opinion, he's entitled to have and express his here. Certainly you can disagree and can say why, but cease the against the person hacks at another poster because he hasn't got a lot of posts here.

Differences in views is part of healthy discussion.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm
  • Peteball is the problem. I don't necessarily disagree with the premise of ball control and limiting turnovers. Pete's number one goal is to play the toxic differential game. Unfortunately this style of offense is only played to its full potential when the team has a strong defense. On a team like the Seahawks in 2019 it puts the team in a huge deficit until the gears are switched.

Another thing that must be mentioned is even with Pete's style of offense we're not playing to our full potential. Our system lacks nuance and many times situational awareness. I don't like the "we'll come at you with the same thing and we'll win if our players are better" mentality. The long deep crossing routes are also very problematic. They need to be toned back, and we need to lean more on the short passing game when the run offense has a hard time getting going. We're not doing our QB any favors in this regard.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:

Pete Coaching is the reason we win 10+ games and go to the playoffs. Pete Ball, well, it does have issues, but ultimately the issue was our defense more than our offense. Somehow Pete Ball had us in position to play for the Division Title in Week 17. And had us one dropped pass and one blitz pickup away from the NFC Championship Game.

Pete and John have bet it all on the next two years. This year was an overachievement. Pete has a 4-year college program approach. We'll have a bunch of players play a little better, add a few key free agents, and draft a couple rooks who will have a positive impact. With a little better luck on injuries next year, look out! As long as Russell continues to play the way he did most of this year, as long as we can keep at least one of our top RBs healthy for the playoffs...
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:15 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:

Both sentiments are utterly ridiculous.

There's no way Pete is content with just getting wild card berths, no coach that's won as much as Pete is wired that way, or just decides one day to mail it in.

Also most intelligent Hawk fans, especially the ones that have been fans for a very long time know that this era of Hawk football is the salad days for us, so we have a little perspective on not only what this organization has been through, but how hard it is to win SB's.

Literally ONE team in NFL history has more than a 4-5 year period of sustained success and more than one or two SB's, and that's the Patriots..........and that will probably NEVER be duplicated.

So what are we satisfied with? I'll tell you, we're satisfied with a coach, GM and MVP caliber QB that has for a 10 year period now put us in a position to make the playoffs and go to a SB. Two of those years we got there..........31 other organizations would take this kind of success.

Perspective, what it be.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 am
  • 4th youngest roster in the league, second year of a rebuild, 11-5 and won a playoff game. But the coach is the problem. This is why we can never have nice things. I'm not ready to be bad again yet.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:04 am
  • HawkerD wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:One of the reasons Pete Ball works, is because running the ball keeps it away from the opposing offense, it's favorable for time of possession, keeps your defense rested, thus keeping the per game score down, which in turn brings the ranking of your defense up!

Three and out does not keep the ball away from the opponent. Derrick Henry was running through holes the likes that have never been seen under Carrol. Our backs have so much YAC because they are hit at the LOS if not in the backfield.
    Statistically speaking, NFL wide, for max point production you should throw the 70% of the time for the best W/L outcome. With a QB as talented as RW make that 75% of the time.

Except passing teams don't make the playoffs, and running teams do.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

ahh KC is a passing game and are in the SB. For the purposes of this we will say a run team is a top 10 running team.

They were
    Balt, SF, Tenn, Sea, Dallas, Minn, Indy, Buf, Houst, Az

Playoff teams
    NE, BUff, Balt, Houst, Tenn, KC, Phily, GB, MInn, NO, SF, SEatt

Totla top 10 run teams in playoffs 7 of 12, far form numbers that say passign teams dont make the playoffs,

Nor is anyone saying don't run the ball, we are saying lets do better with our passing attack like we always seem to do in the 2nd half. As an FYI our leading rusher ran the ball 138 in the first half, and 134 in the 2nd when we change our passing attack and move the ball at will. Hardly says giving up on the run.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

ahh KC is a passing game and are in the SB. For the purposes of this we will say a run team is a top 10 running team.

They were

Playoff teams

Totla top 10 run teams in playoffs 7 of 12, far form numbers that say passign teams dont make the playoffs,

Nor is anyone saying don't run the ball, we are saying lets do better with our passing attack like we always seem to do in the 2nd half. As an FYI our leading rusher ran the ball 138 in the first half, and 134 in the 2nd when we change our passing attack and move the ball at will. Hardly says giving up on the run.

Even though we had more yards, better efficiency and yards per play in the first halves of games. We should shift our focus to what we do worse?

ETA: I forgot to say YOUR WRONG.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:01 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

They were

Playoff teams

Even though we had more yards, better efficiency and yards per play in the first halves of games. We should shift our focus to what we do worse?

Tical: it's YOU'RE
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 pm
  • lol @Tical.
    austinslater25
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:Except passing teams don't make the playoffs, and running teams do.

They were

Playoff teams

Dammit dude! Don't tell him, I could've kept this up for weeks. Gonna start calling you Leroy.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

They were

Playoff teams

Okay first some of what you say are once again not true

1st half total tds 21
    2nd half total tds 24

since scoring is what wins games naturally you would want to go with what gets you more scores.

Now lets look at efficiency first half passing comp % 66 2nd half 66 hmm,

Now lets really look at it

Best complt% 3rd qtr
    most TDs 4th qtr
    best YPA rushing OT
    Best YPA passing 1st qtr

Hmm so out of these thing the 1st hhalf account for only 1

Yeah sorry but as usual you're WRONG.
    Last edited by John63 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:50 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

They were

Playoff teams

Dammit dude! Don't tell him, I could've kept this up for weeks. Gonna start calling you Leroy.

LOL it took someone else to catch on I was using the wrong your LOL how pathetic are you.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Even though we had more yards, better efficiency and yards per play in the first halves of games. We should shift our focus to what we do worse?

LOL it took someone else to catch on I was using the wrong your LOL how pathetic are you.

Yards/Play - 1st half
    Rushing yards - 1st half
    Rushing average - 1st half
    Passing Yards - 1st half
    Passing yards/attempt - 1st half
    Int - 1st half
    Rating - 1st half
    ANY/A - 1st half

But we need to do everything the same way we do it in the second half when we get, how did you say it, "yards at will?"

No your pathetic.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Tical: it's YOU'RE

Yards/Play - 1st half
    Rushing yards - 1st half
    Rushing average - 1st half
    Passing Yards - 1st half
    Passing yards/attempt - 1st half
    Int - 1st half
    Rating - 1st half
    ANY/A - 1st half

But we need to do everything the same way we do it in the second half when we get, how did you say it, "yards at will?"

No your pathetic.

Ah so instead of team now we are just talking Wilson got it

So lets look at your great stats

1st half Complt% 66
    2nd half 66

total tds first half 17
    2nd half 16

1st half sacks 28
    2nd half 19

first half total yards 2177
    2bd half total yards 2110

So yoru argument is hey his number are marginally better in the first half we should stick with it evne though it costs us games?

lets look at the team numbers

Okay first some of what you say are once again not true

1st half total tds 21
    2nd half total tds 24

since scoring is what wins games naturally you would want to go with what gets you more scores.

Now lets look at efficiency first half passing comp % 66 2nd half 66 hmm,

Now lets really look at it

Best complt% 3rd qtr
    most TDs 4th qtr
    best YPA rushing OT
    Best YPA passing 1st qtr

Hmm so out of these things the 1st half account for only 1

Yeah sorry but as usual you're WRONG.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:43 pm
  • Lets make this clear and we will look at the post season to make our point

first half scoring

2nd half scoring

game over your WRONG Tical!
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:05 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Thats the whole point that everybody is complaining about. Pete ball works when you have the talent to make it work (good defense and stout running game). When you have neither, why does he continue doing it for entire halves? Its maddening and he refuses to change and adapt.

:ditto:

First place to start is on talent on both sides of the line. Our defensive system does not work without a good pass rush and ability to stop the run and our run game doesn't work with without a top 10 line. Also, if Diggs can't stay healthy we need ET version 2.
    daveman918
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:12 pm
  • hawksfansince90 wrote:Pete is the one costing Hawks in big games. SB Int vs Pats and now again with pretty much the same play again taking a dumb penalty pissing away the division title and bye.

I wholeheartedly agree. He was good for a while but I feel his time has long sense passed and it's time to begin the search for a replacement.
    mcbobly
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm
  • mcbobly wrote:
    hawksfansince90 wrote:Pete is the one costing Hawks in big games. SB Int vs Pats and now again with pretty much the same play again taking a dumb penalty pissing away the division title and bye.

I wholeheartedly agree. He was good for a while but I feel his time has long sense passed and it's time to begin the search for a replacement.

*since*, not sense.
    If you want to be with taken seriously....
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information