Clayton: Will Seahawks address issues on defense with change

ivotuk

Reaction score
Clayton: Will Seahawks address issues on defense with changes in 2020?

Let’s look back at what went right and what went wrong.

• The simple part of the equation was the Seahawks ran out of gas because of injuries. They were down to their fourth tight end, fourth halfback, third-string guard and backup center. The Seahawks are a running football team but they lost the ability to run the football after season-ending injuries took away Rashaad Penny, Chris Carson and C.J. Prosise.

What was amazing was how Russell Wilson kept the play-action passing game going without the threat of the run. He ran the ball more in the final three games and did an exceptional job, almost pulling off comebacks against the 49ers and the Green Bay Packers.

Wilson was doing miracles with so many injury concerns around him.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/750556/c ... s-defense/

morgulon1

Reaction score
yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hear people asking "Why didn't Russell run more, earlier in the season?"

Several reasons.

Keep your QB healthy. When he did run, he was getting cheap-shotted, and not getting the calls.

He had running backs to do that for him. Unlike a QB, they're built to take the punishment. QBs are built to throw the ball. And look at what happened to them. Do you want your franchise QB taking that kind of punishment? (Hello Clay Matthews).

The running game is what makes the play action go. So when all of our RBs got injured, and it was playoff time, Russell had no choice. He put himself at risk for the game, for his team, and for his fans.

Fortunately for us, Russell is very good at protect hing himself, by staying in shape, and by knowing when to get down on the ground. Something that Carson Wentz could learn from.

I've also heard people asking why we start slow. And it's a very good question. I think it may not be so much that we start slow, as the opposing team starts out with a game plan against us, and then we start wearing them down so that those runs get a little bit longer, and making in-game adjustments to what their game plan is.

But honestly, I would love to see us jump up 20 or 30 points like I see other really good teams do. Even so, those teams aren't always successful. Just look at the Texans.

I do have a feeling though, that next year we might be doing more of that. And, maybe "throwing the ball to open up the run."

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
morgulon1":2enq3ahq said:
yeah I read this earlier today and thought it was a pretty good assesment. The NFL is always changing and a team has to be able to adjust to the situation. Seattle doesnt appear to do this.

We definitely need an infusion of Defensive Speed and Talent.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"Wilson was doing miracles with so many injury concerns around him."

And an infirmary ward between him and the rush. He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.

morgulon1

Reaction score
ivotuk":2vt6z9en said:
morgulon1":2vt6z9en said:

We definitely need an infusion of Defensive Speed and Talent.

Big time. This will be everything moving foward. I think it's the defensive line.. needs upgraded

Erebus

Reaction score
The other question is what you do with Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson knowing they are that far away from significant playing time.

Why is John Clayton even asking this question? The answer is obvious. Cut them. Draft their replacements in the later rounds.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Appyhawk":153dk7ul said:
He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.

This is crazy talk. Everyone that has played football at almost any level will acknowledge that not a lot of thinking goes on once the ball is snapped. That's why you practice so everything becomes instinctual.

Nunya_

Reaction score
Crizilla":3lvei138 said:
Too bad they only let Wilson take over in the 2nd half

How did they do that? What did they do differently in the 2nd half than they did not do in the 1st half?

hawk45

Reaction score
As much as the slow starts concern me, I'm beginning to feel that Pete isn't capable of bringing the defense back to top 10. Not historically great, just top 10.

We had all our players against the Packers and the defense was shite in the first half, and overall this year awful. Certainly Clowney healthy for an entire year changes the picture, but my bigger concern is that Pete isn't showing signs of being able to draft safeties and corners as I thought he would. I used to say "no PC coached defense will be worse than average" but that balloon has popped for me.

Which is a problem, because with a top 10 D we're an SB contender this year even with Pete's offensive philosophy (which I personally don't mind, I just dislike his early game plans and lack of flexibility).

mistaowen

Reaction score
Erebus":2um381wy said:
The other question is what you do with Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson knowing they are that far away from significant playing time.

Why is John Clayton even asking this question? The answer is obvious. Cut them. Draft their replacements in the later rounds.

Yeah, there is nothing there to suggest they should be retained. We have 3 solid safeties and need to bring in new depth. Lano Hill looks slower than most LB's and even if he 'knows' the scheme he was routinely 3 steps late. I can't remember watching a less exciting player. TT proved he is incapable of running Pete's idea of FS, giving up easy deep passes for the first time in years and required a complete scheme change to cover 2 - which had Bobby getting picked on by speedy slot WR's in deep middle coverage.

Offseason -
Go all in upgrading DL, start by retaining Clowney
Upgrade Tre Flowers (I like Bryce Hall from Virginia) and bolster depth, getting more length and speed
Hope Barton, Collier, and Amadi make big strides
I doubt Pete will but I think Norton needs to be upgraded, he's 0/2 on DC chances so far. Good LB coach, sounds like players like him, defensive stats were horrendous.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Defensive changes...
During one of his recent interviews Carroll intimated he intends to work on certain changes to our defense during this off season. He seemed apologetic that such things can't really be undertaken during the heat of seasonal play. He hinted that while nothing major should be expected he feels certain schematic changes might be appropriate due to changes in offense so many teams are bringing to the field of play. Said he is anxious to get to work on that project as soon as the upcoming Pro Bowl obligation is over.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Parts of the interview I mentioned above were just reposted in the maibag at www.Seahawks.com

""We were not consistent," he said. "Too many explosive plays of various natures. For the most part, we had problems on the edge. We had containment issues. We found that the offenses really put the ball on the perimeter against us a lot. That does challenge us in some ways. You'll see some things be adjusted in the course of the offseason for that. Just the style of offense that we were up against was a little bit different than it's been."

Asked what might be adjusted, Carroll said, "There'll be some of everything. A little bit of everything. We're going to work hard at it. Some of it will be going back to things we've done, some of the things will be moving forward. I'm really excited to go about it. It's difficult to adjust some things in the middle of the year."

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":5aglw32h said:
The Hawks need a new strong-willed Defensive Coordinator......period! That is step #1.

Changing coaches may be a significant help, but it's not going to help much if they can't get serious improvement from players remaining on the roster and better players through the draft/free agency.

Diggs helps a lot, but the line doesn't even have two real pash rushers, much less a rotation. And that #2 CB situation is atrocious. The LBs are getting old.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1jb5aiph said:
Bigpumpkin":1jb5aiph said:
The Hawks need a new strong-willed Defensive Coordinator......period! That is step #1.

Changing coaches may be a significant help, but it's not going to help much if they can't get serious improvement from players remaining on the roster and better players through the draft/free agency.

Diggs helps a lot, but the line doesn't even have two real pash rushers, much less a rotation. And that #2 CB situation is atrocious. The LBs are getting old.
That’s why they need to NAIL this draft and FA. Easier said than done, but if they do, the sky is the limit.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":21nc0fr4 said:
Appyhawk":21nc0fr4 said:
He took a lot of sacks though due to thinking about things instead of reacting quickly to incoming threat. Indecision will get him hurt one of these days.

This is crazy talk. Everyone that has played football at almost any level will acknowledge that not a lot of thinking goes on once the ball is snapped. That's why you practice so everything becomes instinctual.

At least you spotted the problem. Watch the film 1st half GB, SF, Rams, for 3 recent examples. During the first half it is easy to see that Russ is planted, searching, waiting too long, then taking the sack. As the games progress he becomes more reactive. It's become a repetitive theme. Film doesn't lie.